BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Flat Run-Flat

Just finished dealing with a flat on my 45e which only comes with Run-Flat tires. Noticed that the tire was completely flat this morning and assumed I ran over a nail coming home last night. Rather than just driving over to the tire shop, I used the compressor to fill it up first. Was correct about the nail and they were able to repair the tire. That said, would have needed to replace it if I drove over without filling it up first.

This is why I hate run-flat tires... there is virtually no benefit to them over traditional tires with a portable compressor; and lots of compromises re: ride quality, sidewall durability, harder to repair, etc. A slow leak on a traditional tire can be mitigated and a blow-out will leave you stranded regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Just finished dealing with a flat on my 45e which only comes with Run-Flat tires. Noticed that the tire was completely flat this morning and assumed I ran over a nail coming home last night. Rather than just driving over to the tire shop, I used the compressor to fill it up first. Was correct about the nail and they were able to repair the tire. That said, would have needed to replace it if I drove over without filling it up first.

This is why I hate run-flat tires... there is virtually no benefit to them over traditional tires with a portable compressor; and lots of compromises re: ride quality, sidewall durability, harder to repair, etc. A slow leak on a traditional tire can be mitigated and a blow-out will leave you stranded regardless.
Quite the opposite. RFs take away PITA according to BMW. And there’s truth to this indeed.
But add more stiffness and noise.
You can easily drive on a flat RF. Personally attest to this on my former F16.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Quite the opposite. RFs take away PITA according to BMW. And there’s truth to this indeed.
But add more stiffness and noise.
You can easily drive on a flat RF. Personally attest to this on my former F16.
+1. I picked up a pair of drywall screws on my way into town (in an F25 X3) and was able to nurse it 5 miles to the dealership (under 25 mph with zero tire pressure). They were able to plug the holes, and the tire remained in service for thousands of miles, until lease-end.

That said, I’m looking forward to replacing the OEM RFTs with high-performance non-RFTs a year from now, when this set needs replacement.
Appreciate 0