BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2021, 04:56 AM   #1
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

X5 M Sport Ordered

After going around the houses looking at different SUV’s I’ve ordered a Mineral White X5 x30d M Sport

I’m not sure how the UK models differ in spec/packages to the US but the optional extras I’ve ordered are:-

M Sport Pro Pack (includes 22” Bicolour Alloys, Sun Protection Glass, Blue Brake Calipers, BMW Individual High Gloss Shadowline extended, Active Protection, M Sports Exhaust and M seat belts)

Technology Park (includes Harman Kardon Stereo, Head up Display, and gesture control)

2-axle Air suspension (which annoyingly comes with the third row seating).

Hoping to get it by the end of July, but it’s taking longer these days as apparently the X-series are made in the US these days rather than Germany

Out of interest does anyone know if the Ad Blue filler is still under the bonnet like my current F15, or whether they’ve moved it to be next to the petrol filler cap like some BMW’s? I hope it’s the latter as I find it awkward under the bonnet and always end up spilling some.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
After going around the houses looking at different SUV’s I’ve ordered a Mineral White X5 x30d M Sport

I’m not sure how the UK models differ in spec/packages to the US but the optional extras I’ve ordered are:-

M Sport Pro Pack (includes 22” Bicolour Alloys, Sun Protection Glass, Blue Brake Calipers, BMW Individual High Gloss Shadowline extended, Active Protection, M Sports Exhaust and M seat belts)

Technology Park (includes Harman Kardon Stereo, Head up Display, and gesture control)

2-axle Air suspension (which annoyingly comes with the third row seating).

Hoping to get it by the end of July, but it’s taking longer these days as apparently the X-series are made in the US these days rather than Germany

Out of interest does anyone know if the Ad Blue filler is still under the bonnet like my current F15, or whether they’ve moved it to be next to the petrol filler cap like some BMW’s? I hope it’s the latter as I find it awkward under the bonnet and always end up spilling some.
Good spec - brave choice with 22" wheels but then I'm in Sheffield and I know the roads here!!

On my40i, there's something next to the fuel filler which I guess is the Ad Blue, although it's covered.

I'll take a pic but my guess is it's next to the filler
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and the X (3 and up) has always been made in the US, biggest market and all that.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

Quote:

yes, it´s next to petrol filler cap
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:26 AM   #5
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Good spec - brave choice with 22" wheels but then I'm in Sheffield and I know the roads here!!

On my40i, there's something next to the fuel filler which I guess is the Ad Blue, although it's covered.

I'll take a pic but my guess is it's next to the filler
Thanks, I live in Chesterfield but work in Sheffield twice/week so know how bad the roads are I thought the G05 with 22’s road better than my F15 with 20’s though, although the test drive was in Derby where the roads didn’t seem too bad. Either way on the bits that were a bit dodgy it sempt fine (fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko_1 View Post
yes, it´s next to petrol filler cap
Thanks, that’s going to make life easier although I’ve taken out the full maintenance pack out so maybe I’ll just take it into BMW to top it up rather than forking out £20 myself

BTW, does anyone know why I’ve not been getting notifications of replies, my preferences state instant email notification? I’ve checked my spam and it’s not going in there
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #6
nunp
Private
Rep
Drives: RR Velar, Audi S5

The full maintenance via Alphabet is decent value at around circa £30 per month. I’m weighing this up myself but I only cover circa 6 miles per year so not sure it’s worthwhile. I’ve decided to not order the third row of seating to in turn get air suspension. My X5 is due to be build on week 30 which is 3 weeks after the air suspension is due to return. Bit of a gamble but monthlies would have gone up by £56.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunp View Post
The full maintenance via Alphabet is decent value at around circa £30 per month. I’m weighing this up myself but I only cover circa 6 miles per year so not sure it’s worthwhile. I’ve decided to not order the third row of seating to in turn get air suspension. My X5 is due to be build on week 30 which is 3 weeks after the air suspension is due to return. Bit of a gamble but monthlies would have gone up by £56.
That’s a good price for maintenance, mine’s quite a bit higher than that. I wonder if it’s because in year 4 it essentially replaces the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
nunp
Private
Rep

Yeah probably right. You’ll need a brake fluid service, new brakes and another two sets of tyres? Not to mention MOT.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunp View Post
Yeah probably right. You’ll need a brake fluid service, new brakes and another two sets of tyres? Not to mention MOT.
Yeah, tyres are £1300 a set.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #10
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

I have just cancelled my UK X5 order due to unavailability of Harmon Kardon. Im guessing your dealer will be intouch with you soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #11
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
I have just cancelled my UK X5 order due to unavailability of Harmon Kardon. Im guessing your dealer will be intouch with you soon!
B&W shiny shiny (but you need the Sky Lounge as well).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:20 AM   #12
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you pulling my leg?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
B&W shiny shiny (but you need the Sky Lounge as well).
Did enquire mate but couldnt stretch or justify the extra £3k. It wasnt just HK though, the list is changing daily

Looks like Ill be waiting for a 23MY the way things are going
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #14
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you pulling my leg?
Nope. Contact your dealer. Although I have heard on another post that HK will resume on WK27. Rumour has it that the shortages are changing by the hour and so BMW does not have the time of informing the dealers of the changes to spec, but building cars as close to the customers requirement hoping the customer accepts I guess

Lets wait and see!
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      05-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Contact your dealer. Although I have heard on another post that HK will resume on WK27. Rumour has it that the shortages are changing by the hour and so BMW does not have the time of informing the dealers of the changes to spec, but building cars as close to the customers requirement hoping the customer accepts I guess

Lets wait and see!
I know H&K was removed from being standard like the air suspension but you can order them as part of packages, as I have done. Did you spec the tech pack on your build?

My ETA is now saying August rather than end of July and maybe this is why.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #16
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know H&K was removed from being standard like the air suspension but you can order them as part of packages, as I have done. Did you spec the tech pack on your build?

I had £20k worth of factory options on my X5, with most options being part of the four packs that I ordered.

You would of thought it made sense for BMW to prioristise vehicle builds that are the most profitable i.e. those being specced upto the gunnels like mine. However, it appears that it is not the case
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #17
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had £20k worth of factory options on my X5, with most options being part of the four packs that I ordered.

You would of thought it made sense for BMW to prioristise vehicle builds that are the most profitable i.e. those being specced upto the gunnels like mine. However, it appears that it is not the case
That's poor. I've still not heard anything from my dealership so will assume mine's still ahead until told otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just come off online chat with a BMW 'Genius'.......anything but a 'genius' IMO!

Couldnt answer a number of questions asked, but did confirm shortages of HK, Wireless Charging and Air Suspension in the UK, which most of us are aware of.

When asked the question about the 'luck of the draw' whereby supply dictates whose car gets built with the chosen options dependent upon week of build he did not deny that it could not be the case, as an example My order was due into build WK23 but no HK available, hence I cancelled. However, customers at Wk24 could receive HK option if supplies allow.

No information about delays or otherwise on 22MY was available, although it was confirmed that there were some updates to the BMW websites in the next couple of weeks to clarify build options and an announcement on the semiconductor shortage.

Overall, I got the impression that the business is in complete disarray with no media announcements, customers and dealers left in the dark whilst it seems BMW are still taking orders

What he hell is going on?!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just come off online chat with a BMW 'Genius'.......anything but a 'genius' IMO!

Couldnt answer a number of questions asked, but did confirm shortages of HK, Wireless Charging and Air Suspension in the UK, which most of us are aware of.

When asked the question about the 'luck of the draw' whereby supply dictates whose car gets built with the chosen options dependent upon week of build he did not deny that it could not be the case, as an example My order was due into build WK23 but no HK available, hence I cancelled. However, customers at Wk24 could receive HK option if supplies allow.

No information about delays or otherwise on 22MY was available, although it was confirmed that there were some updates to the BMW websites in the next couple of weeks to clarify build options and an announcement on the semiconductor shortage.

Overall, I got the impression that the business is in complete disarray with no media announcements, customers and dealers left in the dark whilst it seems BMW are still taking orders

Wow that’s crazy. Could you not have waited and had the car later, or was it a case of no HK so you either have it without or don’t have the car at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

X5 M Sport Ordered

Quote:

You do realize that there is a order and production process and no order is prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle. You're not ordering a Bentley or Rolls Royce.

TurtleBoy summarizes the ordering and allocation process that many long time BMW and BMW X5 owners are aware of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
While it is aggravating, they are actually doing what you suggested. They receive the orders and then allocate/order the parts and create the VIN to lock in the build. Since the supply chains are fluid, and ignoring that their ordering system isn't set up to do it, there is no way to know at time of order whether specific parts will be available. What they seem to be doing to try and complete the requested builds is delay the time between when the order is taken and the VIN assigned.

It obviously is going to piss off some folks no matter how they handle it but since these are unprecedented times they are probably struggling and frustrated as well. My advice to anyone ordering now would be to hang in there until the VIN is assigned, get a new VIR and then make the decision based on how the vehicle is equipped.

Good luck
This discussion is more relevant in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking sub forum:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=744

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #21
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They did - don't think they are affecting X5M and M50i builds.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
nunp
Private
Rep

I’ve got to say, whilst the semi conductor issues are not of BMWs making, the way they are dealing with the situation is far from ideal but I also get the sense, in my case, dealers are not being up front with customers with this forum being my main source of information. Apparently my order still has the HK option but I can’t see that being the case. Just as I’m thinking of cancelling my order, the FoC B&O Tech pack option is a possibility. First air suspension and now HK. What next??
Appreciate 0