12-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
thaddh10
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X

Card Key or Phone Key and oTher things

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
What does everyone use? Should I use the card or my phone key?

Any common settings or things I should know as a new owner.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i use the key fob exclusively. I've only used the digital key card and iPhone Digital Key for emergencies or backup.

with Comfort Access, I enabled 'unlock when approaching," which is super convenient when hands are full with groceries or the kids' backpacks. if I relied on either the iPhone Digital Key or digital key card to open the tailgate, I would be forced to take them out and go to the driver door first to unlock the vehicle, then swing back to the tailgate and open with the button. i won't even be able to use the kick-to-open feature; again, not convenient when hands are full.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I'm using one of the key fob (stays in my pocket) as well. Probably mostly due to habit/muscle memory.

I considered using the key card and storing the key fob for emergency use, but the act of taking the card key from the wallet to tap the door handle then placing it in it's tray every time I get in and out of the car, seemed like "adding" an extra step, when I can simply approach the car with the fob still in my pocket, open the door and jump in the seat and go, without using the steps required by the card.

I appreciate this thread though... curious to see what methods others are using, as well.
      12-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
akunob
Private
Rep
Drives: X6MC

Use the key fob only. I similarly enabled 'unlock when approaching, (only the driver door though not all four) so the convenience of being able to open the door, hit the "start" button and drive is a huge plus. Further I have found myself using the remote start function more often (three clicks on the BMW logo on the key fob) and I need the key fob for that. My daughter plays club soccer (high school age) and its getting chilly out...can't tell you how helpful it is being able to remote start the vehicle a few minutes before the end of either practice or a game (temps are in the low 40's/high 30's in the evening these days!)

The card is in my home office...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
AJA5900
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

I use my key at one house because I need a house key but the other house I just use my phone. It isn't perfect but like not carrying keys
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

I use phone and apple watch, card just in wallet in case of some emergency like if both my phone and apple watch go in 0% battery.

I never used car keys since I have car...way safer to prevent thiefs to steal your car with those tricks of taking your key signal with laptop signal repeater devices.

So card or phone...100% safer than having key with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Almost 99% keyfob. The remote start when it's unseasonably hot or miserably cold works from inside the house out to the car (50-100 feet) w/ the three presses of the lock button. Much faster than even the current app. We also use the pre-open feature a lot. Only time I've used the credit card thingy was at valet where I didn't want to give up my house/office/"other" fob. It's a slightly baller flex looking back. But also keeps people out of your glovebox (and house).
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I wish the phone key was enabled for more Android devices (s21 and pixel 6 only) I have a note 20 ultra. I use the phone key on my Tesla and it's flawless.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I use key fob exclusively. Like others, I have the unlock/lock when approaching or walking away which is a great feature. Never need to take the key out.

I do use the remote start from the fob when the app isn't working right. I also like opening the tailgate from the fob for my dog so that he doesnt jump and scratch the Paint when we go to the park or day care.

I always carry the card in my wallet and use it when skiing or if I forget a key. Has come in handy a few times and is a great emergency measure.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
I use phone and apple watch, card just in wallet in case of some emergency like if both my phone and apple watch go in 0% battery.
unknown about the Apple Watch but you can still use the iPhone NFC capability (Digital Key) for up to 5 hours after the battery dies (Express Mode must be on)
Appreciate 0