BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #23
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a stunning, simply stunning vehicle: my favorite color and a humble reminder what iX could have looked like ...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #24
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Very nice ...

I have an MBB X5M ... I can hardly see a difference between San Marino & Marina Bay from these pics, so thought i would post some of mine, to see if I can tell a difference from your pics vs. mine.
The difference between SMB and MBB is only seen while looking from the side.
Straight on, the colors are exactly alike and no difference can be seen. However, if you look from the side, MBB stays the same, while SMB turns purple. Amazing effect.
Would you possibly be able to put TB2 in a similar comparison so we can see all three simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!
      12-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #25
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Would you possibly be able to put TB2 in a similar comparison so we can see all three simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!
Well, the M4 in the background is actually TB2. But sure, when I'm at the dealer next time i will compare the 3 colors.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #26
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Well, the M4 in the background is actually TB2. But sure, when I'm at the dealer next time i will compare the 3 colors.
The lighting at the dealership is definitely doing an amazing job at making the cars visually desirable on the show room floor, lol.

My X6 is TB2 and I've never seen it show as brightly as it does in the pic you posted...
Attached Images

12-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
The lighting at the dealership is definitely doing an amazing job at making the cars visually desirable on the show room floor, lol.

My X6 is TB2 and I've never seen it show as brightly as it does in the pic you posted...
I think you mean the wrong car. The M4 in my first pic behind the color cards is Marina Bay Blue.

In the second pic you can see the TB M4. It's as dark as i would expect it to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #28
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think you mean the wrong car. The M4 in my first pic behind the color cards is Marina Bay Blue.

In the second pic you can see the TB M4. It's as dark as i would expect it to be.
Gotcha...

Double M4s (M4 π...?) threw me off, lol
      12-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #29
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

SMB was always a great color on the F10 and F06 M5 and M6. Love it on this X5M.

12-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
We have seen lots of X5 M's in the lovely Marina Bay Blue colour but here is a X5 M Competition in Individual San Marino Blue.
Lovely. Next time tell them not to drill holes in the front bumper though. I dislike it when dealerships do that & it's a shame they do that to brand new cars.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:02 AM   #31
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
sorry! kind of a woodworking / boat term that's more broad than "chrome" ... basically shiny metal.

So, for example, the 809 wheels have "brightwork", i.e., not all black paint, i.e., some shiny metal that isn't chrome.

I've been told only old men like chrome ... that could be true; I'd like to think I'm not in the old man category yet because I'm also told I'm immature but Anyway, I've been doing the black-out (and carbon fiber) thing since ~2007 and I guess the bloom has started to fade a bit to my eye ...

For some colors black trim absolutely works for me (grey, white, black, some blues) but for others it's started to look odd / clashy (silvers, some blues, ametrin, et al).

Net-net:
To my eye, the 809 wheels look great on some colors with matching 'brightwork' (chrome) elsewhere on the body. I don't like it around the windows, but matching grille, gills, wheels bright looks pretty sharp with some colors. E.g., Alpina changes the brightwork depending on exterior color and I think they nailed it (matched wheels & trim).

Ah, thanks, makes sense! Personally I've never been a fan of chrome, I swapped out the chrome grill and rear exhaust covers on my Arctic Grey G05 as soon as i could with IND goodies, but we're all different of course. Black-only wheels aren't for me either as i like to see the design of the wheel.

i chose the "bright" brushed clear HRE wheels as a deliberate bright contrast to the MBB paint, which i think makes the paint pop more.

but i'm a fan of pretty much any BMW blue, except maybe Phytonic blue which seems a bit dull to my taste.
      12-02-2021, 04:06 AM   #32
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Looks different from MBB in person for sure (more violet in SMB I think), but in pics…they've always been the same to my eyes. For the extra $, it's just so close, but I get wanting something unique. Looks good in any case!

Good point about getting something unique ... i would have ordered my X5MC in Long Beach Blue if it had been an option ... love SMB & MBB, but that LBB is next level ...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/10/20/l...-distribution/
      12-02-2021, 04:09 AM   #33
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Amazing car that you have built. I have somewhat of a twin.
thanks ... i still do the look-back every time i park the car, just love how the car is now with my changes ... even if i do say so myself!

yours looks exactly like i would build, in fact i'm pretty sure i saw this pic and copied you!
      12-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The difference between SMB and MBB is only seen while looking from the side.
Straight on, the colors are exactly alike and no difference can be seen. However, if you look from the side, MBB stays the same, while SMB turns purple. Amazing effect.

Great information on the 2 colors
Thanks for posting

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #35
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

In these pics i find it almost indistinguishable from the standard color offered Marina Bay Blue. I've seen both SMB and MBB in person and they are different but not enough for me to pay a premium + extended build time for.

SMB and MBB are pretty much the best blues in the automotive world and you can't go wrong with either.

Alan
      12-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #36
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
sorry, what do you mean by "brightwork"? genuine Q ...
sorry! kind of a woodworking / boat term that's more broad than "chrome" ... basically shiny metal.

So, for example, the 809 wheels have "brightwork", i.e., not all black paint, i.e., some shiny metal that isn't chrome.

I've been told only old men like chrome ... that could be true; I'd like to think I'm not in the old man category yet because I'm also told I'm immature but Anyway, I've been doing the black-out (and carbon fiber) thing since ~2007 and I guess the bloom has started to fade a bit to my eye ...

For some colors black trim absolutely works for me (grey, white, black, some blues) but for others it's started to look odd / clashy (silvers, some blues, ametrin, et al).

Net-net:
To my eye, the 809 wheels look great on some colors with matching 'brightwork' (chrome) elsewhere on the body. I don't like it around the windows, but matching grille, gills, wheels bright looks pretty sharp with some colors. E.g., Alpina changes the brightwork depending on exterior color and I think they nailed it (matched wheels & trim).

Lol. Old men do like chrome, but I was just giving you a hard time. It's true tho…
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      12-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #37
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Lol. Old men do like chrome, but I was just giving you a hard time. It's true tho…
Well ... I also got the wood trim in my X5M too, and that was something I said I'd NEVER do so ... maybe I am gettin

Appreciate 0