BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #89
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
This start/stop issue is a non-issue IMO. It's so subtle that I hardly notice it after one month of driving.
This is true, barely notieable just frustrating that these EPA weasels are forcing this nonsense on us. A guy who buys a TTV8 SUV is not looking to save a couple drops of gasoline by turning off the engine at a red light. Get real.

Last edited by cobramite; 09-24-2023 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 4
RNorb242.00
LDT1601.00
X3MESQ49.00
      09-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #90
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
This is true, barely notieable just frustrating that these EPA weasels are forcing this nonsense on us. A guy who buys a TTV8 SUV is not looking to save a couple drops of gasoline by turning of the engine at a red light.
Exactly this and - more importantly - I live in a city and fall below the 9 mph threshold which cuts the engine constantly just to need power a second later which restarts the engine. It's partly that I personally find it intrusive and irritating but more that I want to keep the car long term and simply don't want to cycle the transmission and drivetrain through these split second cuts of power and instant restarts hundreds of thousands of excess times. This extra load is put on the car for no meaningful impact on fuel economy or emissions. With it on I averaged 12 mpg on my regular route and 11 mpg with it off. With auto start/stop on I cycled my engine 50+ times (I stopped counting) vs. once with it off.

If it only did it at full stop red lights like our M550 (which has the deactivation button anyway) I'd be less bothered. I don't need my engine to cycle on and off several times for a matter of seconds from the moment I pull into my building to when I actually park. For me - to me - that is stupid and not worth any amount of additional improvement to fuel economy or emissions reduction.
Appreciate 2
cobramite1229.00
1Boxer36.00
      09-25-2023, 10:16 AM   #91
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Am I the only one shopping for an X5 that's reconsidering whether to buy used vs new because of this? I was just about to place an order for a 2024 40i when I stumbled across this thread. I currently have a 23 M340i that allows for the bypass in the sport individual setting with all options set to comfort. It's just really disappointing that this won't be possible for the 2024 X5. Our commute is rather short and I feel bad enough as it is that the oil barely has a chance to get up to temp by the time we arrive at the office.

This will primarily by my wife's car and then used for family outings. I have no problem enabling DTC or sport drivetrain to workaround this, but no way is my wife going to go through those motions for each drive. For the M340i I was able to go one step further and use Bimmercode to default to sport individual at startup. I feel crazy for looking at lightly used 22 or 23 models for such a simple feature but I don't want to order a 24 and end up having this "feature" drive me nuts during ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 09:32 PM   #92
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340iPlease View Post
Am I the only one shopping for an X5 that's reconsidering whether to buy used vs new because of this? I was just about to place an order for a 2024 40i when I stumbled across this thread. I currently have a 23 M340i that allows for the bypass in the sport individual setting with all options set to comfort. It's just really disappointing that this won't be possible for the 2024 X5. Our commute is rather short and I feel bad enough as it is that the oil barely has a chance to get up to temp by the time we arrive at the office.

This will primarily by my wife's car and then used for family outings. I have no problem enabling DTC or sport drivetrain to workaround this, but no way is my wife going to go through those motions for each drive. For the M340i I was able to go one step further and use Bimmercode to default to sport individual at startup. I feel crazy for looking at lightly used 22 or 23 models for such a simple feature but I don't want to order a 24 and end up having this "feature" drive me nuts during ownership.
You aren't crazy - frankly I had a few moments where I questioned if I should've tried to find a '23 50i instead of a '24 60i but that's subsided and I'm really happy with my choice. I would have your wife do an extended test drive that closely resembles the type of driving she'll be doing most often. I'd do the test drive without changing any of the settings (no Sport Drivetrain, no Traction Mode). See if she notices the auto start/stop and whether or not she finds it bothersome. On the 40i, and depending on how perceptive she is to what's going on with the vehicle mechanically, she very well may not. I only say this because across all the threads on this subject there's a non-trivial cohort of people who truly seem unbothered by it. I can't relate (especially the sub 9 mph shutoff and engine cycling when parking) but she may literally not notice or care.

If she does notice it or is already aware of it and dislikes it, see if she'd be willing to do the Traction Mode workaround. It's really only a button press and then a tap of the iDrive controller. I don't mind this as I feel like it took a couple screen taps to turn auto start/stop off in my previous car (2020 Range Rover Sport) and has been at least one button press in every car I've had going back almost a decade. It just becomes a part of getting started like buckling up, tinkering with the climate control or whatever else you do before putting the car in gear and getting going.

Pressing the DTC button and selecting "Traction" (driving in Traction Mode) has become my go-to on my commutes where I really, really don't need the added performance of the M60i's Sport Drivetrain experience like early morning commuting or when I have friends or family with me. If it's just me and I am driving for pleasure outside the city, I just drive in the Sport Drivetrain.

I haven't been in a 40i to know what the Sport Drivetrain experience is like, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too crazy for her as long as you go the Sport Individual Route and have the Suspension and Steering set to Comfort. If she really prioritizes things being serene I'd also turn off the "IconicSounds" which are the fake engine noises which get played through the vehicle speakers pretty aggressively when you're in one of the Sport Drive Modes.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #93
crackerjack15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
You aren't crazy - frankly I had a few moments where I questioned if I should've tried to find a '23 50i instead of a '24 60i but that's subsided and I'm really happy with my choice. I would have your wife do an extended test drive that closely resembles the type of driving she'll be doing most often. I'd do the test drive without changing any of the settings (no Sport Drivetrain, no Traction Mode). See if she notices the auto start/stop and whether or not she finds it bothersome. On the 40i, and depending on how perceptive she is to what's going on with the vehicle mechanically, she very well may not. I only say this because across all the threads on this subject there's a non-trivial cohort of people who truly seem unbothered by it. I can't relate (especially the sub 9 mph shutoff and engine cycling when parking) but she may literally not notice or care.

If she does notice it or is already aware of it and dislikes it, see if she'd be willing to do the Traction Mode workaround. It's really only a button press and then a tap of the iDrive controller. I don't mind this as I feel like it took a couple screen taps to turn auto start/stop off in my previous car (2020 Range Rover Sport) and has been at least one button press in every car I've had going back almost a decade. It just becomes a part of getting started like buckling up, tinkering with the climate control or whatever else you do before putting the car in gear and getting going.

Pressing the DTC button and selecting "Traction" (driving in Traction Mode) has become my go-to on my commutes where I really, really don't need the added performance of the M60i's Sport Drivetrain experience like early morning commuting or when I have friends or family with me. If it's just me and I am driving for pleasure outside the city, I just drive in the Sport Drivetrain.

I haven't been in a 40i to know what the Sport Drivetrain experience is like, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too crazy for her as long as you go the Sport Individual Route and have the Suspension and Steering set to Comfort. If she really prioritizes things being serene I'd also turn off the "IconicSounds" which are the fake engine noises which get played through the vehicle speakers pretty aggressively when you're in one of the Sport Drive Modes.
Excellent reply! As mc113 has stated some people may not even pay attention to the start/stop. But, many of us that are highly perceptive to small distractions find it completely irritating. Sometimes on short commutes. where I do not have to stop too much, I leave it on and ignore it. I will give bmw credit though, at times it is extremely smooth and barely perceptible. In heavy traffic I simply use the traction setting which disables it and makes the driving experience very smooth. If I wouldn't have found that, I would have sold the vehicle. I actually contacted my dealer about selling it back to them. But, now I'm happy. Overall the vehicle is fantastic and a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:36 PM   #94
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you really look for it , it’s there.

I’d make an assumption most femal drivers don’t care.
Appreciate 0