BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Digital key and driver profiles

I’ve been using the digital key through my apple watch. Super convenient so I don’t have to carry a physical key, specially when going out for outdoor activities.

Whenever I use the digital key though, the driver profile resets to Guest. I need to go into the menu to change it every time. BMW confirms everything to make the manual switch even more annoying. The digital key is associated with the driver profile but it doesn’t make the switch automatically, and it changes back to Guest when I lock the car.

Anyone else seen this happen? Any suggestions?

Last edited by jc.bmw; 05-07-2021 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
mvigod181.50
      05-06-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Sorry off topic question, how do you setup apple watch digital key? I only saw option to set it up on my phone.

Also, the phone digital key is not linked to the driver profile, I dont think there is a way to link driver profile to the phone’s digital key. I have to manually login as well. It is only linked to the BMW key card and the physical key
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:09 AM   #3
unsubtleNinja
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M Comp.

To link the Driver Profile:

So here is what you do.

Step 1: Go to the Driver profile Screen in iDrive.

Step 2: Make sure you are logged into the profile you want to link.

Step 3: Select Driver recognition from the sidebar on the right of the control display.

This will open a menu with three options:
  1. with vehicle key
  2. Using PIN
  3. with Digital Key

Step 4: Select with Digital Key.

In this screen you will see a checkbox that says Link driver profile to key.

You are only able to link one Smartphone/Apple Watch to the Digital Key driver recognition so if you choose to use your Apple Watch you will not be able to have your iPhone activate your driver profile when placed in the smartphone tray. The BMW Digital Key will still work though.

So if you want to use your Apple Watch you will have to maneuver your wrist into the smartphone tray to link it.

In the future BMW will support UWB and Bluetooth LE which will allow the vehicle and the device to communicate wirelessly instead of in close proximity using NFC.

Hope this helps!

As for setting up Apple Watch Digital Key. You need to go into the Watch App on your iPhone.

Step 1: Click the My Watch tab in the bottom left of your iPhone Screen and scroll to Wallet & Apple Pay.

Step 2: You should see a somewhere that says BMW X6M or X7 or whichever BMW you have.

Step 3: You should also see a button that says ADD.

From there you just have to follow the instructions on your phone.

Last edited by unsubtleNinja; 05-07-2021 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 3
XC3LLR82062.50
Steve737106.00
      05-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
WifeBeforeCar
Bimmer without rage
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i | 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i   [9.50]
First world problems… when will Apple car key come to the US?

Why can't US folks use Alexa?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by messishine View Post

Some of us don’t like Amazon with its silent eavesdropping policy.
Read Washington Post?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by messishine View Post

if you're asking about the Digital Key on the Apple iPhone, that already works on compatible devices. vehicles built on or after June 2020 are compatible. if you don't meet both of these criteria, even updated i-Step software won't make it work. (I mention this because people have asked in light of recent OTA updates.)

Amazon Alexa in-car integration isn't supported in the U.S. yet. rumor is it's coming in July. currently, U.S. owners can use Alexa to operate the BMW Connected skill through an in-home Echo device.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 12:16 AM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsubtleNinja View Post

So here is what you do.

Step 3: Select Driver recognition from the sidebar on the right of the control display.

1. with vehicle key
  2. Using PIN
  3. with Digital Key

You are only able to link one Smartphone/Apple Watch to the Digital Key driver recognition so if you choose to use your Apple Watch you will not be able to have your iPhone activate your driver profile when placed in the smartphone tray. The BMW Digital Key will still work though.

So if you want to use your Apple Watch you will have to maneuver your wrist into the smartphone tray to link it.

In the future BMW will support UWB and Bluetooth LE which will allow the vehicle and the device to communicate wirelessly instead of in close proximity using NFC.

Hope this helps!

As for setting up Apple Watch Digital Key. You need to go into the Watch App on your iPhone.

Step 1: Click the My Watch tab in the bottom left of your iPhone Screen and scroll to Wallet & Apple Pay.

Step 2: You should see a somewhere that says BMW X6M or X7 or whichever BMW you have.

Wait, that works? I have tried this in the past and it keeps saying key card not found and it only works with the BMW key card not my phone
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:54 AM   #8
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsubtleNinja View Post

So here is what you do.

1. with vehicle key
  2. Using PIN
  3. with Digital Key

Hope this helps!

Wait, that works? I have tried this in the past and it keeps saying key card not found and it only works with the BMW key card not my phone
Is your phone in the charging tray? My phone was in the tray when I linked it to my profile.

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Are you saying that when you put your phone on the charging tray your X5 automatically switches driver profiles?

I did it when setting up the key. You have to. I also do it so I can turn on the vehicle. It’s just that I need to switch driver profiles every time manually. It reverts to Guest when I turn off and lock the car.

re: “first world problems”
Yes, please help me overcome this terrible ordeal
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #10
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaTe View Post
Is your phone in the charging tray? My phone was in the tray when I linked it to my profile.
of course, that is the only place to link digital key and it explicitly says that on the screen. For me, phone never worked, only the BMW key card worked attaching the profile. So I thought profiles can not be attached to phones/watches
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.bmw View Post
Are you saying that when you put your phone on the charging tray your X5 automatically switches driver profiles?

I did it when setting up the key. You have to. I also do it so I can turn on the vehicle. It’s just that I need to switch driver profiles every time manually. It reverts to Guest when I turn off and lock the car.

re: “first world problems”
Yes, please help me overcome this terrible ordeal
Guess what I do, unlock with key card and put it in wallet and put phone on tray and go ahead
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
DBLDNon11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

My digital key card worked when I picked up the car at the dealership. However, since I created and configured the digital key on my phone, the card no longer works. Is this the intended/expected behavior?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLDNon11 View Post
My digital key card worked when I picked up the car at the dealership. However, since I created and configured the digital key on my phone, the card no longer works. Is this the intended/expected behavior?
both my key card and Apple Wallet digital key work properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #14
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
both my key card and Apple Wallet digital key work properly.
Same here. I’m able to use either. Normally use the Watch/Phone but keep the card key in my wallet as a backup.

What about driver profiles? Everyone needs to keep switching them as well when using digital keys?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.bmw View Post
What about driver profiles? Everyone needs to keep switching them as well when using digital keys?
my driver profile loads every time with any of my keys (fob, digital, card).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #16
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
of course, that is the only place to link digital key and it explicitly says that on the screen. For me, phone never worked, only the BMW key card worked attaching the profile. So I thought profiles can not be attached to phones/watches
Did you change passwords recently? Maybe try deleting the digital key from your phone and redoing it?

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #17
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you change passwords recently? Maybe try deleting the digital key from your phone and redoing it?
digital key works fine unlocking and locking the door. Not sure why passwords would affect only the linking profile part. Can try removing and readding
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #18
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
digital key works fine unlocking and locking the door. Not sure why passwords would affect only the linking profile part. Can try removing and readding
Had an issue when I changed my password and the existing key saved on phone wouldn't sync up with my profile. It would give me the error of not being able to link. I deleted the key and redid it and was able to link it back to my profile.

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #19
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
I'm guessing you have one of the following devices ?

The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or later, and Apple Watch Series 5 or later.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:44 AM   #20
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Had an issue when I changed my password and the existing key saved on phone wouldn't sync up with my profile. It would give me the error of not being able to link. I deleted the key and redid it and was able to link it back to my profile.
Oh will give it a shot then
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:45 AM   #21
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
I'm guessing you have one of the following devices ?

The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or later, and Apple Watch Series 5 or later.
Yeah iPhone XR and Watch series 5
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:54 AM   #22
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
my driver profile loads every time with any of my keys (fob, digital, card).
Btw I figured out today that only the card key and the fob key support “active link” which I assume means automatically loading the driver profile associated with the key.

There’s a sub-menu “active link” that only shows up for the card key and fob key, but doesn’t show for the digital key menu option, at least in the software version I’m using, which should be the latest in the US.
Appreciate 0