BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

2022 X5 xDrive40i cold start issues

Hi...for the last couple of months my car has been sporadically struggling to start on days where it hasn't been driven for a day or two when the temperature has been colder (in the 40s or so), and last night it was worse than ever. I've heard this happens at times with cars, but I've never had this issue with any other car that I've owned...and I frankly find this unacceptable, lol...anyway, I made an appointment to bring it in to BMW next week, but I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this issue and perhaps if there was a solution or if its just "one of those things." Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Definitely not normal. Without knowing any details I would guess your battery is low.
      12-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
shelbymaize
Rep
Drives: BMW X 5 2023 x drive

Mine starts without hesitation , hope you can figure this out, not acceptable
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Definitely not normal. Without knowing any details I would guess your battery is low.
Ah, okay, thank you for your reply, I appreciate this information.

Here's hoping they figure it out. I've been taking audio recordings at times when I start the car so that I can have something to play for them when I take it to the shop since they likely won't be able to duplicate it unless they keep it for a few days. Wish I recorded last night when it was at its worst. It's difficult cuz it's hit or miss. Anyway, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbymaize View Post
Mine starts without hesitation , hope you can figure this out, not acceptable
Thank you, this is very reassuring. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_carol View Post
Hi...for the last couple of months my car has been sporadically struggling to start on days where it hasn't been driven for a day or two when the temperature has been colder (in the 40s or so), and last night it was worse than ever. I've heard this happens at times with cars, but I've never had this issue with any other car that I've owned...and I frankly find this unacceptable, lol...anyway, I made an appointment to bring it in to BMW next week, but I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this issue and perhaps if there was a solution or if its just "one of those things." Thanks
Once you do get it started, are you noticing any strange behavior? Idiot lights, flaky inconsistent or just not normal behavior of features, flashing interior lights, etc. It could simply be that your battery refuses to maintain a full charge and when batteries put out a lower voltage, strange things that don't make sense start to happen, not to mention starting issues. Even though your car is new, it can happen. Your dealer will be able to load the battery and test it. Hopefully that is all it is.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Once you do get it started, are you noticing any strange behavior? Idiot lights, flaky inconsistent or just not normal behavior of features, flashing interior lights, etc. It could simply be that your battery refuses to maintain a full charge and when batteries put out a lower voltage, strange things that don't make sense start to happen, not to mention starting issues. Even though your car is new, it can happen. Your dealer will be able to load the battery and test it. Hopefully that is all it is.
Thanks...that makes sense. But no, nothing strange, it works just fine after starting...and starts fine for the rest of the day/night. I definitely hope it's something "easy" like the battery. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The way BMW charges its battery is unlike most other vehicles...the alternator is on a clutch, similar to your a/c compressor so it doesn't run all of the time like older vehicles. It tries to only charge when decelerating, which also aids the brake life since you may not need them as often or for as long. But, if you drive shorter trips from cold, especially in the winter with the heat, blowers, lights, defrosting, etc., the electrical load is significant, and batteries can't push electrons as well, so a low battery becomes more of an issue. So, a battery maintainer may be called for. Since those tend to be fairly low powered, it may take over 24-hours or even longer to top off the battery.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #9
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Haven’t had the issue - park outside on the street in the NE past year, starts like a champ. Listen to Turtle Boy and take it in.

Out of curiosity, can you use the app to remote start? That function will not work at all if battery is too low.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
shelbymaize
Rep
Drives: BMW X 5 2023 x drive

3 degrees here in Michigan, no problems at all starting
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Bimmersurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: X6MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_carol View Post
in the 40's, wow i have been around -40 this last week. the car struggles but starts after 12hrs in the cold at work. glad i have a heated garage at home.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

When you say struggling to start, does it crank normal but takes longer or does it just idle rough for a while? It’s not uncommon for it to start and idle a bit rough at first, especially if there are large temp swings between when you parked it and started it again.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #13
Bimmersurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
When you say struggling to start, does it crank normal but takes longer or does it just idle rough for a while? It’s not uncommon for it to start and idle a bit rough at first, especially if there are large temp swings between when you parked it and started it again.
slow on cranking rpm quite noticably, you can hear it, but engine starts and runs just fine.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #14
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbymaize View Post
3 degrees here in Michigan, no problems at all starting
Yea I was gonna say 40s is not cold by any measure. Definitely not normal.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #15
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersurfer View Post
slow on cranking rpm quite noticably, you can hear it, but engine starts and runs just fine.
Yeah that’s not normal. It’s probably a bad battery or it’s just not getting charged properly.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Yes I agree with other. Slow crank is a slight of 12V battery SOC low. Can be battery degraded or charging system isn’t properly charged the battery. Being 2022, battery degradation is not likely. Trunk placed battery in me last very time, 6-7 years easily in my other bmws.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #17
Bimmersurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Yes I agree with other. Slow crank is a slight of 12V battery SOC low. Can be battery degraded or charging system isn’t properly charged the battery. Being 2022, battery degradation is not likely. Trunk placed battery in me last very time, 6-7 years easily in my other bmws.
actually it is normal, did i mention -40 degrees. a fully charged battery does not do as well at -40 degrees. what is incredible is that BMW does not have block heaters and the car still starts at -40 degrees. all my vehicles over the last 35years or so from Ford to Honda to Range Rover and now BMW, they all have a slower crank rpm in this type of weather.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #18
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersurfer View Post
actually it is normal, did i mention -40 degrees. a fully charged battery does not do as well at -40 degrees. what is incredible is that BMW does not have block heaters and the car still starts at -40 degrees. all my vehicles over the last 35years or so from Ford to Honda to Range Rover and now BMW, they all have a slower crank rpm in this type of weather.
I think most people are responding to the OP which is talking +40F, not -40C. I quoted you by mistake from my phone earlier. Yes, we know they will crank slower when you're parked next to polar ice caps watching glaciers move by.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think most people are responding to the OP which is talking +40F, not -40C. I quoted you by mistake from my phone earlier. Yes, we know they will crank slower when you're parked next to polar ice caps watching glaciers move by.
-40C is the same as -40F but right, cars will crank slower when exposed to those temps. Crazy stupid cold if you ask me. I had -1F last night, just cannot imagine -40. Why, why, why?
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #20
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
-40C is the same as -40F but right, cars will crank slower when exposed to those temps. Crazy stupid cold if you ask me. I had -1F last night, just cannot imagine -40. Why, why, why?
Maybe I need to put my contacts in but I believe the OP said PLUS 40F as they live in California, not NEG 40C in Canada.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I need to put my contacts in but I believe the OP said PLUS 40F as they live in California, not NEG 40C in Canada.
No contacts needed, I was only referring to your -40C statement in that maybe others thought the same thing. . .. and not to poke at the OP but when I read that he mentioned +40F, I was at 6F and found myself wishing I was in San Francisco dealing what that cold 40F
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #22
Bimmersurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
fortunately the polar caps and glaciers will melt in another 3 months
Appreciate 1