BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #133
PAJasonBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i, g05 X5

Reason I asked was I found a great deal on a barely used f15 base system locally. I ended up purchasing and installing it last night. I don't know what could possibly be different from a g05 part number, as it was a perfect fit. Now waiting for the ski holder to come in. Ignore how dirty the car is please.....
Attached Images

Roch M4424.00
      02-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #134
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Here's my setup with the Thule AeroBLade and Motion XT large. Took it on a 6 hour road trip 2 weeks ago. Definitely some wind noise going above 60 but not the kind that drives you nuts - no whistling or anything like that. I was very happy with this setup.
ordering the exact setup. how many locks do we need to get? seem like they are sold in packs of 2
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #135
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Quote:
Here's my setup with the Thule AeroBLade and Motion XT large. Took it on a 6 hour road trip 2 weeks ago. Definitely some wind noise going above 60 but not the kind that drives you nuts - no whistling or anything like that. I was very happy with this setup.
ordering the exact setup. how many locks do we need to get? seem like they are sold in packs of 2
I didn't buy any locks. The carrier has a lock so the only locks that you would need are the ones for the bars. I don't think anyone will go through the trouble of removing them if they wanted to steal them so figured the locks weren't worth it.

Edit: the locks for the bars just lock a flimsy piece of plastic in place that covers the connection hardware. If anyone wanted to steal the bars they could just break these off relatively easily. Don't think the locks will be much of a deterrent.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #136
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't buy any locks. The carrier has a lock so the only locks that you would need are the ones for the bars. I don't think anyone will go through the trouble of removing them if they wanted to steal them so figured the locks weren't worth it.

Edit: the locks for the bars just lock a flimsy piece of plastic in place that covers the connection hardware. If anyone wanted to steal the bars they could just break these off relatively easily. Don't think the locks will be much of a deterrent.
Thanks! probably get 2 (1 on each side) to have that extra step of breaking the plastic oppose to just taking that plastic off and walking away i'm holding off on them till i get everything in to make that decision....

can you post a few other pics to show where you mount the rails?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #137
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone having trouble buying the Thule Motion XL units? seem to be sold out everywhere. I have a feeling the place we ordered might cancel since it says it coming from manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #138
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Anyone having trouble buying the Thule Motion XL units? seem to be sold out everywhere. I have a feeling the place we ordered might cancel since it says it coming from manufacture.
When I bought mine last year I had a hard time finding available units. Talked to Thule direct but they were back ordered with no set date for when they'll be available. Since I needed mine for an upcoming trip - and had to have the glossy black - due to shadow line trim of my car - they have to match, of course. Long story short, I ended up buying a large, instead of extra-large, because I couldn't find any XLs and didn't want the roll the dice on a backordered one getting to me in time (plus the $150 shipping premium from ordering direct instead of picking up at REI or some place like that).

Last edited by VTENGR; 02-24-2021 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #139
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! probably get 2 (1 on each side) to have that extra step of breaking the plastic oppose to just taking that plastic off and walking away i'm holding off on them till i get everything in to make that decision....

can you post a few other pics to show where you mount the rails?
Even after you take off the plastic, you still need an allen wrench to unclamp the rails - so anyone wanting to steel these would need that tool and/or have to know they need it. So from my experience, if the theif is that prepared and/or motivated to steel the rails - the locks will not stop them.

I will suggest waiting to buy the locks until you get your carrier. The carrier comes with keys and the keys will have a number N137 or something like that. When you buy the locks, you would want to by the locks that correspond to your key so that you only have one key for the locks and the carrier.

I don't have a ton of pics of the rails, I take them off when I'm not using them. I did note my placement though. measuring from the top of the windshield, the first rail falls at approximately 20 inches and the next rail is 27.5 inches from the first. This should put the back edge of the front rail in line with the front edge of the shadow line trim of the front door. The back edge of the rear rail should be flush with the trim piece that separates the main window with the smaller pillar window on the rear door.

However, with all that being said - I saw another poster on here who said he had zero wind noise and had his rails pushed further back than mine - so I'll experiment with that this summer before our annual trip.
Attached Images

Last edited by VTENGR; 02-24-2021 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #140
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I see a lot of people debating between Thule and OEM. OEM racks are made by Thule not BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #141
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
I see a lot of people debating between Thule and OEM. OEM racks are made by Thule not BMW
But OEM is uglier IMO. It's price vs looks because somehow, the BMW one is cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #142
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
But OEM is uglier IMO. It's price vs looks because somehow, the BMW one is cheaper.
yeah agreed, just by a bit and I would say Thule ones are worth the extra money
Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      02-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #143
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

thule for the win, bmw roof rack is crap
i bought one for my e70, had to return it as it was nto even a snug fit
bought a thule, 7 years later still works great, plan on using on my g05
      02-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #144
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

sorry...I'm lazy and don't want to go through the thread. What is the Thule model name/number that doesn't have wind noise? The OEM ones are not as pretty lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #145
MAWGinMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 x45e

Thule Wingbar Evo, 0 whistling up to 80mph (so far)

So adding my $0.02 and anecdotal experience here.

I went with the Thule Wingbar Evo to support the Motion XL for road trips with either all the aminals or more than just 2 people in the car, and a pair of kayaks and paddles for the season here in the DMV.

So far, knock on wood, 0 noise at any speed up to ~80mph - haven't had a need to go above that and rarely do, especially not sustained.

I mounted the front bar with the center of the tightening bolt 20" from the front of the roof rail, and 30" between the rear of the bracket on the front bar and the front of the bracket on the rear bar.

I'll test it with actual stuff mounted in the coming weeks/months since right now we're back to highs in the 60s. But the bars by themselves, 0 whistling.

To reiterate: Thule ftw!
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #146
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWGinMD View Post
So adding my $0.02 and anecdotal experience here.

I went with the Thule Wingbar Evo to support the Motion XL for road trips with either all the aminals or more than just 2 people in the car, and a pair of kayaks and paddles for the season here in the DMV.

So far, knock on wood, 0 noise at any speed up to ~80mph - haven't had a need to go above that and rarely do, especially not sustained.

I mounted the front bar with the center of the tightening bolt 20" from the front of the roof rail, and 30" between the rear of the bracket on the front bar and the front of the bracket on the rear bar.

I'll test it with actual stuff mounted in the coming weeks/months since right now we're back to highs in the 60s. But the bars by themselves, 0 whistling.

To reiterate: Thule ftw!
we also have the motion xl, but got the thule aeroblade. no noise just the aeroblade, but when we mount the motion xl, we get a decent amount of wind noise regardless of speed (higher speed is a little louder). I think where i mounted the box is causing the whistling.

if i may ask, can i get a photo/sketch of what youre trying to described with regard to where the motion xl is mounted? having a difficult time understanding.

Last edited by dream54ing; 04-15-2021 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #147
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
However, with all that being said - I saw another poster on here who said he had zero wind noise and had his rails pushed further back than mine - so I'll experiment with that this summer before our annual trip.
I have minimal noise with just the rails, and tolerable with the XL box attached. Open all 4 doors on the car and mount the rails where the B and C pillars are welded to the roof. This will give you the greatest structural stability when the box is on, minimize noise, and keep the MPG hit as small as possible.

Wind noise is caused by the pressure differential between the airflow going over the rail vs. under. Trick is to get as much flow coming off the windshield to go over the leading bar vs. into/under it.

Adding the box makes things worse... want to minimize the airflow into the leading edge (drag) and going under (lift/drag), while maximizing over the top (downforce/drag). Keeping the front edge of the box behind the leading edge of the windshield is critical, otherwise all of that flow will be forced under the box.

TL;DR: Keep the rails and box as far back as possible to minimize noise and lift on attachments.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fennario; 04-15-2021 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
VTENGR1052.50
      04-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #148
Ebomb808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

I have the Thule XL on another SUV. I think the further back you mount it the better for wind noise. I typically open the trunk and then position the box as far back as possible that doesn't affect the trunk operating correctly and then set my bars to accommodate that position.
Appreciate 3
VTENGR1052.50
Cooltones241.00
      04-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #149
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
I have minimal noise with just the rails, and tolerable with the XL box attached. Open all 4 doors on the car and mount the rails where the B and C pillars are welded to the roof. This will give you the greatest structural stability when the box is on, minimize noise, and keep the MPG hit as small as possible.

Wind noise is caused by the pressure differential between the airflow going over the rail vs. under. Trick is to get as much flow coming off the windshield to go over the leading bar vs. into/under it.

Adding the box makes things worse... want to minimize the airflow into the leading edge (drag) and going under (lift/drag), while maximizing over the top (downforce/drag). Keeping the front edge of the box behind the leading edge of the windshield is critical, otherwise all of that flow will be forced under the box.

TL;DR: Keep the rails and box as far back as possible to minimize noise and lift on attachments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebomb808 View Post
I have the Thule XL on another SUV. I think the further back you mount it the better for wind noise. I typically open the trunk and then position the box as far back as possible that doesn't affect the trunk operating correctly and then set my bars to accommodate that position.

When I install the rails and box again this summer I will heed this advice for sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #150
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

I went with the Thule Motion XT Alpine with the Aeroblade edge cross bars, it was easy to install the towers and crossbars, lifting the box requires two people. The Alpine boxes are lower profile, but this model still has 16 cu ft of storage, if you are not looking to stow tall bulky items, it works. I figured the lower height might cut the wind noise. Drove over 2,000 miles (at 85 mph cruising speed) without whistling. The wind noise was okay too, I closed the sunshade as the box does bounce a bit and I found my eyes moving to watch it instead of the road. While I liked the look of the crossbars, I ended up taking them off when I got home, the bars are bug catchers and bug season is just getting started!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
boneca1999.50
      04-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #151
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Initially I was going to order thule rack, but the car dealer gave like 40% off on BMW roof rack. Here is my bike rack. It is definitely not for short people, but I like that I don’t have to take off bike front wheel every time. Yes, I hear some wind noise above 45 mph, but it doesn’t bother me at all, my music is always louder ��
Name:  8F6C8397-F017-457C-9E61-4470380464AB.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  471.7 KB
Appreciate 1
Stoshu494.00
      04-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #152
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Initially I was going to order thule rack, but the car dealer gave like 40% off on BMW roof rack. Here is my bike rack. It is definitely not for short people, but I like that I don’t have to take off bike front wheel every time. Yes, I hear some wind noise above 45 mph, but it doesn’t bother me at all, my music is always louder ��
Attachment 2584452
An Aero bike on the roof shouldn’t effect your mileage!

I went with the hitch rack for two (maybe three) reasons, I worry about my carbon fiber bike and electronic shifters taken damage from debris at 65+ mph, there’s the chance I’d forget I had the bike on the roof and crush it against the garage (small chance but I know people this has happened too), and I don’t want to lift my bike on to the roof (it doesn’t weigh much but it can get unruly at times) although I due hang it from the ceiling in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #153
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Attachment 2584452
Nice bike!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #154
MAWGinMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 x45e

Sketch

Quote:
we also have the motion xl, but got the thule aeroblade. no noise just the aeroblade, but when we mount the motion xl, we get a decent amount of wind noise regardless of speed (higher speed is a little louder). I think where i mounted the box is causing the whistling.

if i may ask, can i get a photo/sketch of what youre trying to described with regard to where the motion xl is mounted? having a difficult time understanding.
My horrid art sills not withstanding, this is a quick rough sketch. The points of reference are the 2 roof bar mounting feet/brackets (front and rear), the front end of the factor roof rails, and the center/tightening bolt for the front roof rail. If it's too illegible lmk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0