BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
Andalex
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 XDrive50e

Digital Key - Passive Entry with Google Pixel 6 Pro

I have a 1 month old 2024 X5 xDrive50e.

I am using my android phone (Pixel 6 Pro) with the Digital Key in the Wallet.
Works quite well, the regular keyfob is nice but quite bulky in my pocket, so I rather leave it at home.

One thing that drives me crazy though is that the Passive Entry function (automatically lock, unlock and start car when phone is nearby) only works in about 20% of the time. I do not change anything in my phone or in the car and a few hours later it stops working. I tried to reset the infotainment system or reboot the phone - no effect.

I just don't want to pull out my phone, open the wallet and tap OPEN every time to get in the car. I love when my car senses my (my phone's) proximity and the the door opens. I wonder if iPhone users have any issue with this function or there is an easy fix in some settings in my android phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
with these screenshots, are you showing that Passive Entry keeps disabling on its own and you have to keep re-enabling it?

where do you keep your phone?

is there anything nearby it that would cause interference?

are there possible sources of interference around you when approaching your vehicle?

it could just be an Android thing, unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #3
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

I have the same problem with my pixel 6 pro and even pixel 7 pro. It doesn’t work reliably.

On my iPhone 12 pro max, it works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
Andalex
Rep

With the screenshots I am showing where I make the settings.

I turn the "Require phone unlock" option OFF, and I turn "Passive entry" ON.

It does not matter if I keep the phone in my pocket or keep it in my hand, standing close to the car, approaching the car or leaving the car.

It works in about 10-20% of the times.

I leave my car, it locks down automatically as I step away. Perfect. An hour later I approach the car and NOTHING. I have to pull out my phone, bring up the Wallet App and the Digital Key and select Unlock. And Nothing happens in between with the car or the phone. It is erratic regardless where I park the car.

I wonder if Samsung users have any experience or there is just something with Pixel Phones and android....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 11:51 AM   #5
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalex View Post
With the screenshots I am showing where I make the settings.

I wonder if Samsung users have any experience or there is just something with Pixel Phones and android....
I have Samsung S22Ultra. After getting 8.5 on my X6 M60i digital key plus has become more stable. As Yogi Berra said, "90% of the time it works all the time". I don't need to take the phone out of my pocket.

Once in a while it stops working, I hit "lock" or "unlock" or any other function in BMW app, it establishes connection again, good for few more weeks.

Last week I had a software update from Samsung on the phone, it messed up the digital key, I deleted it, added back and it's been good again.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
Andalex
Rep

Thanks for your reply.

That confirms my suspicion, that there is a hidden issue with the Pixel Phones, although, that is supposed to be the purest android experience...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

That confirms my suspicion, that there is a hidden issue with the Pixel Phones, although, that is supposed to be the purest android experience...
See if these steps can help you:

https://www.********.com/threads/dig...843/post-21616

That whole thread was useful for me.

Edit: I don't know why link is edited, put "ix forums" instead of stars in the link, remove the space. It hides the forum name?

Last edited by ddavtian; 09-04-2023 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #8
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Not to sidetrack but.....
Just tried to connect my Samsung S23 to digital key functionality. Seems like it is tied to Samsung Digital wallet app?. I don't have a Samsung account... Said I could sign with my Google account. Others have this "issue" when performing first time setup on a Samsung smartphone ?
      09-06-2023, 06:54 AM   #9
Andalex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
See if these steps can help you:

https://www.********.com/threads/dig...843/post-21616

That whole thread was useful for me.

Edit: I don't know why link is edited, put "ix forums" instead of stars in the link, remove the space. It hides the forum name?

Thanks for the link. Useful information but for now it seems that Samsung users and Pixel users report problems and inconsistencies. The Android is still not a fully functional Digital Key Plus solution as of today. However, it works with some compromises as long as your phone is charged. I keep carrying my physical key card with me for backup. The regular keyfob is just too bulky for me to keep in my pocket...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 02:10 PM   #10
stu5797
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i

My Samsung s23 ultra works just fine. The new Google pixel 8 pro won't set up or work with the digital key
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:56 PM   #11
g8who
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

I have the same car and same phone and had the exact same issue. Rebooting the phone works but as you said after some time it doesn't work again. I've upgraded to Android 14 and now it works perfectly!! Try it out and let us know!

Quote:
I have a 1 month old 2024 X5 xDrive50e.

I am using my android phone (Pixel 6 Pro) with the Digital Key in the Wallet.
Works quite well, the regular keyfob is nice but quite bulky in my pocket, so I rather leave it at home.

One thing that drives me crazy though is that the Passive Entry function (automatically lock, unlock and start car when phone is nearby) only works in about 20% of the time. I do not change anything in my phone or in the car and a few hours later it stops working. I tried to reset the infotainment system or reboot the phone - no effect.

I just don't want to pull out my phone, open the wallet and tap OPEN every time to get in the car. I love when my car senses my (my phone's) proximity and the the door opens. I wonder if iPhone users have any issue with this function or there is an easy fix in some settings in my android phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:44 PM   #12
Kuli
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3

DK+ on my Pixel 8 pro has been working fine with X6 LCI... however it has only been 4 days since I got the phone...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:28 AM   #13
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2020 BMW X5

I have a 6 Pro as well and haven't tried setting up this feature yet. But for those who do, I wonder if the battery save feature comes into play. There should be a way to change it for the wallet app, or whatever one is being used for digital key and set it to Unrestricted. Could make a difference.
Appreciate 0