BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
elbala
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 TTS/E92 M3

black front kidney from Amazon

the amazon front black kidney is around $150, anyone in here bought it? how is the quality? IND front black kidney is around $300 wanted to get some feedback from anyone that have bought them before buying one. thx!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
Medicaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i

I received one and it looked very good, it had a very stock appearance but had a huge muddy thumb print (at least I hope it was mud). I sent it back and got an oem one from my dealer with a nice discount (around $225 in shadowline)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50.i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
I received one and it looked very good, it had a very stock appearance but had a huge muddy thumb print (at least I hope it was mud). I sent it back and got an oem one from my dealer with a nice discount (around $225 in shadowline)
is it easy to install?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
NYCX5M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i executive/DHP

I had a black grill from amazon on my x3 m40i. zero issues. fit like a glove and seems to be same quality plastic as the BMW one. not to hard to install. Im sure there is a YouTube video of how to get it off. Once you get a few of the clips loose it comes right off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbala View Post
the amazon front black kidney is around $150, anyone in here bought it? how is the quality? IND front black kidney is around $300 wanted to get some feedback from anyone that have bought them before buying one. thx!
All depends on who makes it or where it's from. Some are a bad fit and others perfect.
      03-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d, G05 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX5M50i View Post
I had a black grill from amazon on my x3 m40i. zero issues. fit like a glove and seems to be same quality plastic as the BMW one. not to hard to install. Im sure there is a YouTube video of how to get it off. Once you get a few of the clips loose it comes right off.
UK based but I have just ordered a black grill off Amazon for £79.99 (I had a £50 Amazon voucher given to me so no real loss if it's terrible).

I'll post on here when it's arrived and fitted with a couple of pics and my thoughts.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Alpen_Geoff
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2022 x5 45e

Can you post a link or the seller if it fits well, seems like there's a few options.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #8
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on my order:

After the due date had passed and the item hadn't gone to "In Transit" I contacted the seller who explained there was a syncing issue with Amazon and their store so asked me to order direct from their website and they cancelled my Amazon order. I've done this (received a refund so happy it isn't a scam) and item is due tomorrow.

Unfortunately, with this in mind, I'm not sure if this is of any use to you U.S guys as it is a English based company it turns out.

I'll do a further update when arrived and installed for anyone still interested though
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #9
elbala
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 TTS/E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShakes View Post
Update on my order:

After the due date had passed and the item hadn't gone to "In Transit" I contacted the seller who explained there was a syncing issue with Amazon and their store so asked me to order direct from their website and they cancelled my Amazon order. I've done this (received a refund so happy it isn't a scam) and item is due tomorrow.

Unfortunately, with this in mind, I'm not sure if this is of any use to you U.S guys as it is a English based company it turns out.

I'll do a further update when arrived and installed for anyone still interested though
cool man, let us know the results once installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #10
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Another quick update:

The grill arrived yesterday (Tuesday 22nd) and upon inspection I found that one of the clips was broken off. Very frustrating but I contacted the seller along with pics of the broken clip and packaging as it appeared a portion of the box had been squashed slightly which corresponded to the same place the grill had the broken clip.

They have taken it up with the courier but are refusing to send a replacement or send a refund until they have a response from said courier. I pointed out the end result for me does not change in that they need to send me a replacement so why hold off on sending it until the courier responded? They again refused so all on all not a great experience with this company either through their amazon store or direct from their website. Could not recommend at this point.

For those interested, the company is called "Carbon Accents"
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
Alpen_Geoff
Rep

Not sure if this is threadjacking but figured I'd post it since it's the same topic - feel free to move or delete. I bought the cheapest, $73 on sale, black grill on Amazon for shits and giggles (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098SWNM45...roduct_details) and surprisingly it's not bag, pretty rigid and solid, arrived in 3 days was well packed and no defects, scratches etc. Took less than 5 minutes to install, I read somewhere about putting masking tape on the bumper to be safe but outsmarted myself and figured I'd be careful - didn't count on the factory grill launching itself from the car after popping half the clips first scratch. Swapped the camera over, lined up the new one and push, had a beer - done. Infinitely better looking already.

Fits well, maybe not quite factory but matched up well side by side and really can't tell now that it's on, gaps are even. Good enough to stay on for now, didn't want the twin bar but I'll hold off on final decision until after I finish blacking out the rest of the trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #12
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpen_Geoff View Post
Not sure if this is threadjacking but figured I'd post it since it's the same topic - feel free to move or delete. I bought the cheapest, $73 on sale, black grill on Amazon for shits and giggles (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098SWNM45...roduct_details) and surprisingly it's not bag, pretty rigid and solid, arrived in 3 days was well packed and no defects, scratches etc. Took less than 5 minutes to install, I read somewhere about putting masking tape on the bumper to be safe but outsmarted myself and figured I'd be careful - didn't count on the factory grill launching itself from the car after popping half the clips first scratch. Swapped the camera over, lined up the new one and push, had a beer - done. Infinitely better looking already.

Fits well, maybe not quite factory but matched up well side by side and really can't tell now that it's on, gaps are even. Good enough to stay on for now, didn't want the twin bar but I'll hold off on final decision until after I finish blacking out the rest of the trim.
Interestingly the box and packaging of your grill is identical to the box and packaging of the one I purchased and arrived today (fitting later on so will post some photos too). I'm UK based and paid £75 but I'm guessing they must all originate from the same Chinese factory!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #13
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:

Glad it worked out well. No one is going to know if its factory or not.
      03-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #14
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just fitted mine. Actually fitted very well, even gaps, and very secure, can't knock the quality of it. Very happy for the price
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:24 PM   #15
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Saw the $73 one as well the other day, wasnt sure if i lile the dual slats but now that I saw it, ibkinda like it
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #16
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Can you please post a picture from a bit further away?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #17
350ender
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Is your model a x-line?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Alpen_Geoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ender View Post
Is your model a x-line?
Yes it is, wife doesn't like m sport and it's her car so x line it is...blacking out the trim to make it bearable.

Couple more pics attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #19
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is, wife doesn't like m sport and it's her car so x line it is...blacking out the trim to make it bearable.

Couple more pics attached
Thanks for the photos. Though it does look GREAT in black, but to me it kinda looks like the double slats make the car look a little older. Just my opinion, so I'll be going the single slat route. Now I wish the single slat grills were at the same price of 79 lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #20
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
Do you have the part number and also, what is your X5 model?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:47 AM   #21
John925
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xdrive40i

Amazon $150 grill. Fits perfectly and looks amazing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
IFlyX5236.50
DG-X5168.00
      07-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #22
ichibanb18c
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by John925 View Post
Amazon $150 grill. Fits perfectly and looks amazing.
Got one here too. Extended shadowline wasn't available for some odd reason when I ordered the car. But easy install and fits great.
Attached Images