BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #199
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Probably just a marketing decision but who knows. Right now the 2020 price guide shows it is not available for the 50s, maybe that will change later as he said.
Yeah, I don't get it. I remember you couldn't get it in the E70 X5M because DPC took up some of the space that it folded into but at least there was an actual reason. I think they may be trying to steer people to the X7 but if you only need the 3rd row for your kids when the grand parents visit, I'd rather have the X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #200
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the market right now for a suv. Can someone please confirm whether G05's 3rd row has been discontinued permanently? I have two babies coming in a few months and will need the 3rd row for a number of reasons. I looked at the actual car at my local BMW dealer and I like it a lot. X7 is just not for me.

Also, will the 2nd row fit two infant/child seats?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #201
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the market right now for a suv. Can someone please confirm whether G05's 3rd row has been discontinued permanently? I have two babies coming in a few months and will need the 3rd row for a number of reasons. I looked at the actual car at my local BMW dealer and I like it a lot. X7 is just not for me.

Also, will the 2nd row fit two infant/child seats?
Welcome to the forum, look a few posts before yours. The third row is in the pricing guide for 2020. Whether they will put a production constraint on it and not offer it is anybody's guess at this point.

You shouldn't have any problem putting 2 seats in.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #202
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, look a few posts before yours. The third row is in the pricing guide for 2020. Whether they will put a production constraint on it and not offer it is anybody's guess at this point.

You shouldn't have any problem putting 2 seats in.
Thanks a lot Turtleboy
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #203
radelow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I am getting so many different answers on the 3rd row from dealers. Some saying it is not coming back, some saying it will sometime in 2020. Some saying it will be available immediately.

I take real issue with it. I would never consider the X7 in lieu of the X5. I looked at an X5 with third row this past week. My 7 year old will fit just fine back there and will allow Grandma to come along with us while our 3 year old is in her seat in the 2nd row. Worst customer service decision by BMW as I doubt not having the third row option is pushing that many people to the X7. Way different price point. Not to mention the X7 is just huge.
      06-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #204
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Checked with a dealer in NJ.
He checked with BMW and said it won't be back until December
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #205
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radelow View Post
I am getting so many different answers on the 3rd row from dealers. Some saying it is not coming back, some saying it will sometime in 2020. Some saying it will be available immediately.

I take real issue with it. I would never consider the X7 in lieu of the X5. I looked at an X5 with third row this past week. My 7 year old will fit just fine back there and will allow Grandma to come along with us while our 3 year old is in her seat in the 2nd row. Worst customer service decision by BMW as I doubt not having the third row option is pushing that many people to the X7. Way different price point. Not to mention the X7 is just huge.
One of the reasons I chose the X5 is because it does NOT have the third row seat. I have that in my highlander, and have only used it once or twice in 8 years.

Those third-row seats are AWFUL. I promise that even your 7-year-old will hate the third row. Particularly once he turns 8. They take up SO much cargo space. I hate it in my highlander, and almost EVERY car similar to the X5 has it.

I didn’t choose the X5 because of that, but definitely would NOT have bought one if it was standard. The X5 is a great car, but it is not super spacious. You won’t want your kids messing it up, either.

With kids, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and get a minivan. They are THE most practical cars for kids, hands down. Comfortable and spacious for long trips, you can move a sofa in one if you need to, and you will not outgrow it as your kids get older and larger.

I loved my Honda Odyssey, but the Toyota Sienna is very nice also. Don’t even sniff at a Chrysler. Just do it. Get the minivan now, the sassy BMW in a few years. You can thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #206
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Our son loves riding in the third row of our XC90. Now given that is a little bigger than the X5 but I sat in the G05's third row and it isn't AWFUL. We only use it a handful of times so I don't need the largess of the X7. With that said I probably won't let it kill the deal as all the alternative SUV's in this class really aren't that great.

With all that said I will never drive a Minivan. My wife refuses to as well. So no sense even discussing that. I know I know...stupid. But with only two kids I see a Minivan as overkill.
      06-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #207
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Our son loves riding in the third row of our XC90. Now given that is a little bigger than the X5 but I sat in the G05's third row and it isn't AWFUL. We only use it a handful of times so I don't need the largess of the X7. With that said I probably won't let it kill the deal as all the alternative SUV's in this class really aren't that great.

With all that said I will never drive a Minivan. My wife refuses to as well. So no sense even discussing that. I know I know...stupid. But with only two kids I see a Minivan as overkill.
We only had two kids. We used the car for trips. The reclining captains chairs in the second row helped minimize the constant fighting. The back was large enough to pack coolers, towels, laundry baskets and more. Try doing that in any SUV!

My Honda was not too high-end but it was quiet, comfortable and a joy to drive. At 10 years old it drove better than a new Chrysler van. I only gave it up after 10 years because the transmission went out (apparently I ignored recall notices). My sister JUST replaced her 2003 Toyota Sienna with a Mazda X5.

If you never travel, a smaller car will be fine. But those kids will get big FAST. The second seat of the X5 is only comfortable for a small adult, and that is with the front passenger crunching up in the front. This will NOT be a good long term car for growing kids.

Just trust me. Minivan = happy trips with kids. Even just two of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #208
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
If you never travel, a smaller car will be fine. But those kids will get big FAST. The second seat of the X5 is only comfortable for a small adult, and that is with the front passenger crunching up in the front. This will NOT be a good long term car for growing kids.
I think a lot of folks would disagree with that. So far everyone that has been in my back seat found it very comfortable from a seating and room aspect.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #209
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think a lot of folks would disagree with that. So far everyone that has been in my back seat found it very comfortable from a seating and room aspect.
Me also, but only with the front seats moved forward. And these are not big people. The seats themselves are fine. The space is the issue, particularly with growing kids. They grow SO fast, many are adult sized at 10-11 years old.

I LOVE this car, but would never buy it as a primary family car. The vans are just perfect. Save your money for a fun and fancy BMW for later, when you can really enjoy it.

I’m sorry, but I will stick to this until the day I die. I know some people just can’t stand the THOUGHT of driving a minivan. But when you have kids, practicality rules (and usually economics also)

I don’t use any car to define who or what I am. That is vain and stupid. When you have kids, they come first, last and always. Otherwise, don’t have them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #210
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Don't agree. I've had the 3rd row in both my f15 and now g05 and the kids fight to go in the 3rd row when we use it, and one is 5'4"

Used a mini van as a hire car for 3 weeks at a time in Florida. They are great for regular 7 seat use but I wouldn't swap one for an x5 as a daily driver. If we needed all 7 seats permanently I'd probably reconsider, but occasional use for kids is fine.
Appreciate 4
Tenac4574.00
avd3k12.00
Xtabi1707.50
      06-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #211
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Don't agree. I've had the 3rd row in both my f15 and now g05 and the kids fight to go in the 3rd row when we use it, and one is 5'4"

Used a mini van as a hire car for 3 weeks at a time in Florida. They are great for regular 7 seat use but I wouldn't swap one for an x5 as a daily driver. If we needed all 7 seats permanently I'd probably reconsider, but occasional use for kids is fine.
Same here... really depends on the one's use pattern. We do have family of 6 but rarely ride all together these days. Kids are now teenagers and soon getting their own cars, plus also tend to have their own plans. So I find most often there are just 3-4 people in our car. Back in the days we had Highlander and its 3rd row worked just perfect with kids even for long trips (we did Virginia Beach from Canada it was amazing experience, very comfortable and roomie, never had a need for mini-van). We now drive Acura MDX with the 3rd row, and even though kids are still living with us, we are only using 3rd row 5-6 time a year for the short family trips to the restaurant on the occasions, and just for that reason I don't want to drive large X7 hauler. I want to finally have some fun driving experience in X5, I think I deserve it and my teenage kids can squeeze a bit into the less roomy X5 3rd row few times a year
By the way 3rd row can still be ordered in Canada, I feel very sorry for US folks cross the border who were considering them and now cannot get. I think BMW indeed experiencing some parts shortages and simply decided to put on hold their largest US market while still able to cater Canada and few other smaller regions.

Last edited by AustinV; 06-11-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #212
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

I figured I would call the BMW 800 number. It is so obvious what they were doing. When I asked about the third row status on the X5 his answer was that he had no information on it HOWEVER he would be happy to send me information on the X7 that is available now with a third row.
      06-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #213
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I figured I would call the BMW 800 number. It is so obvious what they were doing. When I asked about the third row status on the X5 his answer was that he had no information on it HOWEVER he would be happy to send me information on the X7 that is available now with a third row.
I really doubt and hope they are not using such dirty tricks to push X7 sales. This was probably their polite response to come up with an alternative since 3rd row cannot be offered in X5 temporarily and indeed there are some parts issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #214
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I agree that a minivan can be overkill if you don’t have younger and quickly growing kids. Or never ride everyone in one car. Or never ever take trips.

My kids are grown (one is a German teacher and the other in Med school) so for the x5 rear seats weren’t a problem. The highlander, however, I bought when the younger was about to start college and I chose that car over others because the back seats were so spacious.

To me, it is all about what works best for your lifestyle at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #215
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
I really doubt and hope they are not using such dirty tricks to push X7 sales. This was probably their polite response to come up with an alternative since 3rd row cannot be offered in X5 temporarily and indeed there are some parts issues.
They are absolutely doing this to push X7 sales. There is no coincidence that the X7 comes out and all of a sudden X5 third row isn’t available. On the call they were gushing about the X7. He was clearly trying to push me in that direction.

Mark
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #216
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
They are absolutely doing this to push X7 sales. There is no coincidence that the X7 comes out and all of a sudden X5 third row isn’t available. On the call they were gushing about the X7. He was clearly trying to push me in that direction.

Mark
That wouldn't make much sense becuase I wouldn't think that an X5 buyer is also in the market for an X7. If you're trying to push sales to X7 than as an X5 buyer I would look at the X5 competitors that also have a 3rd row - Q7, GLE, etc before upping my budget $10k to get a 3rd row. So in reality, what's more likely to happen is a prospective buyer going to Audi or Mercedes b/c those cars are in the same price point and have a 3rd row.
Appreciate 1
avd3k12.00
      06-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #217
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Granted, I shouldn't knock it before I've tried it, but judging from the available space in the second row, the third row in an X5 would seem like it could only ever be comfortable for little people.

It makes sense to me that they would push the X7, essentially a minivan, if you're looking into an X5 with the third row. The X7 is new, I'm sure there are people that are currently "in the X5 market" because they don't know about the X7. What better way to call it to buyers' attention than by forcing them to ask about it whenever anyone is looking for a third row in the X5.

It's a smart move by BMW. Too bad for those who actually find a reason to have a third row in the X5. (I really can't imagine the practical use of that over a minivan)

Last edited by amphiprion; 06-12-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      06-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #218
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
Granted, I shouldn't knock it before I've tried it, but judging from the available space in the second row, the third row in an X5 would seem like it could only ever be comfortable for little people….

Not looking for necessarily "comfortable" 3rd row option, but rather "functional" and being there on some rare occasions. It's quite different concept from X7 where it's "designed" to be a 3 row SUV and because of that it's larger and drives like a true truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
… Too bad for those who actually find a reason to have a third row in the X5. (I really can't imagine the practical use of that over a minivan)

Why not? If you want to 1) actually enjoy driving your car AND 2) have small kids who can seat there OR 3) only need 3rd row on some very rare occasions. Adults can still "very uncomfortably" ride there on some short trips where otherwise 2nd or larger car would be required. It's substantially different niche vs people who need Minivan. So X5 with 3rd row does not necessarily "compete" with X7, it just has its own very unique use-case.
Appreciate 5
Tenac4574.00
natahoa252.00
avd3k12.00
Xtabi1707.50
      06-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #219
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I already mentioned earlier that 3rd row could be ordered in Canada, and per this post some limited number can also be ordered in US:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1624623

"I spoke with the Sales Manager who stated that BMWUSA is allowing a limited amount of X5's to be ordered with the third row. I got an email today that the District Manager was in the store and 100% confirmed a few 3rd rows are being allowed to be built. Mine being one of them. We will see if I actually get a production number etc. I am hopeful. Worst case I wait to order a 2020 at the same pricing which isn't horrible."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #220
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
I already mentioned earlier that 3rd row could be ordered in Canada, and per this post some limited number can also be ordered in US:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1624623

"I spoke with the Sales Manager who stated that BMWUSA is allowing a limited amount of X5's to be ordered with the third row. I got an email today that the District Manager was in the store and 100% confirmed a few 3rd rows are being allowed to be built. Mine being one of them. We will see if I actually get a production number etc. I am hopeful. Worst case I wait to order a 2020 at the same pricing which isn't horrible."
That's my order. I was dubious about it but the dealership has a second order that has been in the system longer and BMWUSA has not spit the order back out. Here is the portion of the email from the Sales Manger at my dealership (his family are also the original owners of the dealership):

We only have two X5 to order with 3rd row and BMW is at capacity so they will not be giving any more out to other dealers, the other order has been filled.

Our BMW rep was here today as well and let us know that they will have restricted capacity on the 2020 models as well.