03-24-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
X5 50e - Adaptive Drive Mode is removed?

Its my 1st Hybrid/Electric vehicle and I'm trying to educate and familiarise myself before it arrives in a few months.

What is the most economical drive mode? I have noticed that Adaptive button has disappeared in the 50e so I guess the best option is to drive is in the Hybrid mode now?

When you are in Hybrid mode, does it use the battery at the slower speed which is same as driving in the Electric mode? at what speed the ICE kicks in (perhaps 80KM/H)? Lets say if I'm going to drive at 70KM/H does it matter if I am in Electric or Hybrid?

Should one still be putting the destination in the navigation?

I drove 45e today, it was in the electric mode and i found it very sluggish and not much power in that mode. of course it was a completely different car when the mode was changed to Hybrid.

What sort of fuel economy you are getting with a flat battery?

is there any accessory etc you would recommend me to get before the vehicle arrives? I'll try having the charger installed before the delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 06:47 PM   #2
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e

Garage List
1. I’ll say Eco Pro. But it’s sluggish too. Hybrid is good enough

2. Current 45e can drive EV only under 68mph ish, unless you are in EV mode (max 89mph), sport, or you floor the pedal hard enough to trigger ICE. 50e should be similar, if not the same

3. If adaptive mode is deleted I don’t think you have to

4. Yes it is sluggish but enough for city drives. I even use EV mode on highway, which is part of my daily commute

5. I’ll say 21mpg ish on highway

6. I’ll suggest you to consider the accessories after you get your vehicles. Not until then will you know what you really need. OEM Floor liner will be a good accessory. I don’t have it because I’m in SoCal, but I’ll definitely get it if in a rainy city/state.
Appreciate 3
bbari23.00
Flying Ace4987.00
GordoCLM249.00
      03-24-2023, 07:59 PM   #3
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbari View Post
Its my 1st Hybrid/Electric vehicle and I'm trying to educate and familiarise myself before it arrives in a few months.

What is the most economical drive mode? I have noticed that Adaptive button has disappeared in the 50e so I guess the best option is to drive is in the Hybrid mode now?

When you are in Hybrid mode, does it use the battery at the slower speed which is same as driving in the Electric mode? at what speed the ICE kicks in (perhaps 80KM/H)? Lets say if I'm going to drive at 70KM/H does it matter if I am in Electric or Hybrid?

Should one still be putting the destination in the navigation?

I drove 45e today, it was in the electric mode and i found it very sluggish and not much power in that mode. of course it was a completely different car when the mode was changed to Hybrid.

What sort of fuel economy you are getting with a flat battery?

is there any accessory etc you would recommend me to get before the vehicle arrives? I'll try having the charger installed before the delivery.
With my M50i, even with the Adaptive Button missing, I am able to use voice commands to activate it. Don't know if it will work with the 50e or not.
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      03-24-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On a long highway trip (2000-miles) with little chance to recharge, people can often see about 28-mpg and some have seen higher. If you're out of battery, and stop and go in the city, it will be much lower.
Appreciate 2
bbari23.00
      03-25-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan25 View Post
1. I’ll say Eco Pro. But it’s sluggish too. Hybrid is good enough

2. Current 45e can drive EV only under 68mph ish, unless you are in EV mode (max 89mph), sport, or you floor the pedal hard enough to trigger ICE. 50e should be similar, if not the same

3. If adaptive mode is deleted I don’t think you have to

4. Yes it is sluggish but enough for city drives. I even use EV mode on highway, which is part of my daily commute

5. I’ll say 21mpg ish on highway

6. I’ll suggest you to consider the accessories after you get your vehicles. Not until then will you know what you really need. OEM Floor liner will be a good accessory. I don’t have it because I’m in SoCal, but I’ll definitely get it if in a rainy city/state.
Thank you for all that.

I don't see Eco Pro button 50e
or is this something you see in menu?

I drove 45e today for over 100KM in Hybrid mode. I noticed that the battery level didn't change during the journey, it stayed at 35KM. Does this mean the entire journey was on ICE?

is one pedal driving available in it? I test drove IX and really liked that feature.

How do you know if the vehicle is running on Electric or ICE, can you see it on the screen? I currently drive F10 and the entire vehicle shakes when the engine starts during auto start stop. However I didn't notice engine kicking in when i drove X5 45e in Hybrid mode.

Yes, I've ordered OEM rubber mats as I'm in Ireland!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #6
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
How do you know if the vehicle is running on Electric or ICE, can you see it on the screen? I currently drive F10 and the entire vehicle shakes when the engine starts during auto start stop. However I didn't notice engine kicking in when i drove X5 45e in Hybrid mode.
You can see this in the tach/energy display in hybrid mode. If the needle is in a blue range, you're on EV power. If the lower-end blue range goes away, and all you see is white power range, you're on ICE power. This is very noticeable, for example, when you go over the speed limit for ICE (68mph), even if you don't feel the ICE engage (I usually can, but it's subtle).
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      03-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #7
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan25 View Post
Question about this: Does anyone know if more power is available while still on EV power while in Hybrid vs EV mode?

I've been curious about this for a while; I drive primarily in Hybrid, and my 45e certainly doesn't seem sluggish. I've also seen acceleration tests with EV mode which seem slower than what I think I experience. I believe there is still gearing on EV power (ie: I've noticed upshifts and downshifts while still on EV power). Does anyone know if EV mode perhaps adjusts the shifting/etc. such that the vehicle would have less power in this mode relative to Hybrid? Or is what people describe as "sluggish" in EV mode just normal/fine to me?

To be clear: there's a difference here between city speeds and highways speeds, and I've had the ICE engage in highway driving a few times when I wanted non-casual acceleration, but I'm not considering that "sluggish", since the EV motor has less torque at higher gearing. If people just think EV mode is "sluggish" at highway speeds when trying to perform non-gradual acceleration, that's understandable (and expected). I just want to know if it might be more "sluggish" due to less power in EV mode in general, vs on EV power in Hybrid mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for all that.

I don't see Eco Pro button 50e
or is this something you see in menu?

I drove 45e today for over 100KM in Hybrid mode. I noticed that the battery level didn't change during the journey, it stayed at 35KM. Does this mean the entire journey was on ICE?

is one pedal driving available in it? I test drove IX and really liked that feature.

Yes, I've ordered OEM rubber mats as I'm in Ireland!
You can either press Hybrid twice or press it once and choose in iDrive.

That’s weird it shouldn’t be. Unless you immediately speeded up to 110kmh and maintained above that speed for your whole trip. Or, check if you accidentally hit the battery control button below camera button. That will help you maintain battery at certain level.

45e don’t have it. Not sure 50e will have it but I highly doubt it, as it’s still a PHEV not a EV.

You can see it on the right side of your cluster panel. While in hybrid mode, there’s a blue portion, which indicate you are driving in EV. Whenever it’s gone and turned grey, you are driving in ICE.
You can also choose Sport Individual and configure everything to comfort, which make it the same as hybrid but you get m sport dial with traditional rpm dial. That you can see easily when the rpm is zero (ev) and when it’s is not (ice).
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      03-25-2023, 02:55 PM   #9
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
Question about this: Does anyone know if more power is available while still on EV power while in Hybrid vs EV mode?

I've been curious about this for a while; I drive primarily in Hybrid, and my 45e certainly doesn't seem sluggish. I've also seen acceleration tests with EV mode which seem slower than what I think I experience. I believe there is still gearing on EV power (ie: I've noticed upshifts and downshifts while still on EV power). Does anyone know if EV mode perhaps adjusts the shifting/etc. such that the vehicle would have less power in this mode relative to Hybrid? Or is what people describe as "sluggish" in EV mode just normal/fine to me?

To be clear: there's a difference here between city speeds and highways speeds, and I've had the ICE engage in highway driving a few times when I wanted non-casual acceleration, but I'm not considering that "sluggish", since the EV motor has less torque at higher gearing. If people just think EV mode is "sluggish" at highway speeds when trying to perform non-gradual acceleration, that's understandable (and expected). I just want to know if it might be more "sluggish" due to less power in EV mode in general, vs on EV power in Hybrid mode.
I too feel Hybrid mode without ICE engaged is faster than EV mode. Maybe it’s BMW engineers’ setting to maximize the range in EV mode.

I believe most people, including me, describe it sluggish if one need to accelerate from 0-89mph in EV mode, that will take a long time. But if it’s only 0-30mph off red light in the city, it’s not slow at all, in fact it’s quick.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #10
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
So if you are driving up to 89mph, there is no difference whether you are driving in Hybrid or EV, in both cases it will be using the same power (battery)? I understand from the above posts that it will be slightly faster in Hybrid mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:09 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you're in EV mode, unless you press the pedal beyond the detent, it will stay in electric mode until you exceed the upper speed limit for it (89-mph).

In hybrid mode, the computer will decide what mode is more efficient based on your speed, the load (like say going up a hill might engage the ICE). But, in this mode, the EV motor, regardless of the state of the ICE, will augment progress when it deems it useful.

Adaptive mode is a bit smarter, as it also looks at the road ahead based on the nav system, to decide that the ICE may be useful, and turn it on preemptively rather than waiting for the load to increase as in hybrid mode. So hybrid mode is reactive...adaptive mode is preemptive.
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      03-25-2023, 06:17 PM   #12
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you're in EV mode, unless you press the pedal beyond the detent, it will stay in electric mode until you exceed the upper speed limit for it (89-mph).

In hybrid mode, the computer will decide what mode is more efficient based on your speed, the load (like say going up a hill might engage the ICE). But, in this mode, the EV motor, regardless of the state of the ICE, will augment progress when it deems it useful.

Adaptive mode is a bit smarter, as it also looks at the road ahead based on the nav system, to decide that the ICE may be useful, and turn it on preemptively rather than waiting for the load to increase as in hybrid mode. So hybrid mode is reactive...adaptive mode is preemptive.
Thank you. As the adaptive isn't there anymore based on THIS, I assume its better to be always in Hybrid mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:24 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't know! My guess is that they have evolved the logic such that adaptive is now incorporated into hybrid.

If maximum efficiency is your goal, ECO PRO is probably the best option.
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      03-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #14
iTomH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I've ordered the 2024 X5 50e. This entire thread has been very helpful but I still have a bunch of questions on how to drive my new car when it comes. Is there an owners manual/operators book available to start reading. I've never owned a BMW or a hybrid, so I have a lot of learning to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:05 PM   #15
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTomH View Post
I've ordered the 2024 X5 50e. This entire thread has been very helpful but I still have a bunch of questions on how to drive my new car when it comes. Is there an owners manual/operators book available to start reading. I've never owned a BMW or a hybrid, so I have a lot of learning to do.
Have a look at the attached, I got this from another thread and its for 45e.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST2005 G05 PHEV Complete Vehicle (1).pdf (4.51 MB, 200 views)
Appreciate 2
iTomH52.00
      03-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Once you have your VIN, you can download a PDF file of your owner's manual. In the interim, if you use a VIN from a vehicle on a dealer's lot, you can use that to obtain a copy from the www.BMWUSA.com website.

The thing is over 400-pages...so there's a lot to take in...these things are highly complex rolling computers...you won't get it all the first time, or probably 5th time you read it!
Appreciate 1
iTomH52.00
      03-25-2023, 07:51 PM   #17
iTomH
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have a look at the attached, I got this from another thread and its for 45e.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:54 PM   #18
iTomH
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Once you have your VIN, you can download a PDF file of your owner's manual. In the interim, if you use a VIN from a vehicle on a dealer's lot, you can use that to obtain a copy from the www.BMWUSA.com website.

The thing is over 400-pages...so there's a lot to take in...these things are highly complex rolling computers...you won't get it all the first time, or probably 5th time you read it!
I hear you! I'm sure there's a huge learning curve......especially for an old guy like me, but I thought that I could kill some time doing the reading while I anxiously wait for my car to be built. Thanks for the heads up on getting the info once I get my VIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 05:26 AM   #19
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
What's the real world range are you guys getting on 45e when on electrical mode and what do you think will you achieve with 50e?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 09:15 AM   #20
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTomH View Post
I hear you! I'm sure there's a huge learning curve......especially for an old guy like me, but I thought that I could kill some time doing the reading while I anxiously wait for my car to be built. Thanks for the heads up on getting the info once I get my VIN.
I did the same thing a couple of months before my 45e was delivered. It was very helpful but much of it basically incomprehensible until you actually have the car. Bear in mind that the generic manual will discuss features your car may not have.

My dealer offered me as much time as I needed with a "genius" to get familiar with the controls, many of which were very different from any car I've ever owned. Allow a couple of hours and actually use the controls, rather than simply watching him show you. I literally was unable to back the car out of the parking space before the training session.

Another suggestion: Deactivate gesture control and voice control until you have a feel for how everything works. It can be distracting and confusing when the radio comes on because you moved your hand the wrong way. Once you know how to do everything you can activate the features you want according to your preferences.
Appreciate 1
iTomH52.00
      03-26-2023, 09:46 AM   #21
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Adaptive is at its most useful/smart when using the BMw navigation system. However, if you mostly use CarPlay or Android Auto for nav, the adaptive predictive abilities will not be utilized.
Appreciate 1
porterM37.00
      03-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #22
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
Adaptive is at its most useful/smart when using the BMw navigation system. However, if you mostly use CarPlay or Android Auto for nav, the adaptive predictive abilities will not be utilized.
If the adaptive was that good, how come it is removed in 50e?!?
Appreciate 0