BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
35USC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Radio channel changing issues

I have a 2019 X5. My radio has a couple of frustrating glitches. One is that when I select a different (preset) radio channel, there is a noticeable delay until the radio switches to the selected channel (usually 1-2 seconds, but sometimes 10 or more seconds). It does not seem to help if I select it again (and again and again …). It feels like the processor/memory is way under powered for the processing that it is being asked to do (e.g., sluggish like when I am using my 10 year old laptop). Another thing that happens occasionally is that instead of going to the channel I selected, it goes to the previous channel I was listening to. My X5’s software is up to date. My 2016 X5 did not have either of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I've noticed this on occasion too, but only when I am switching from an AM or FM channel to a digital (DAB) channel.

I'd expect some switching delay when going from AM/FM to digital/DAB channels, since digital demodulation and compression decoding needs to occur when receiving digital transmissions, which causes some initial delay as it begins to stream - so that is the likely explanation for a 1-2s delay.

However I cant explain 10 seconds, that one might be a bug, or maybe some background logic going on in the switching.

What ID software are you on?
I'm still on 07/2019.49 - and its the most stable S/W I've had so far, at least for me and the features I use the most. I'm hearing lots of issues with .55 and .59.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 10-26-2019 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
adh707
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I am having the exact same issue. Sometimes it won't even change the station at all. I took it in during my regular service and told them about it. They "applied 5 software updates" yet no change to the FM issue. It only happens with FM for me. They claim it will be fixed in the next software update during which they don't know if I will need to bring it in again or over the air. Honestly, pretty annoyed with this and how it is being handled.
Appreciate 0