BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Coding Sports+ mode - 30d?

Wondering if anyone has managed to code Sports+ driving mode via Bimmercode (or other App) for their X5 G05 30d?

I'm waiting for my OBDII adapter to arrive, and the Bimmercode App in generic demo mode seems to allow it, but not sure if it's available on the X5 G05 as I know only limited coding is supported on the G05.

Any help or advice to get Sports+ driving mode enabled would be greatly appreciated guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Can definitely code it, but not yet through Bimmercode because it doesn't support the associated ECU (so can't do it in Expert mode either).

If you have ESys setup, code ECU BDC_BODY3/00007083 parameter FesPiaDefaultLastUserMode to 02.

See this post and the rest of its thread for more: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25275924

UPDATE: post above is still reachable from the app, but not from web. The issue is a complicated one and I won't get into it. In the meantime, here is the salient content of the linked post as it may well go away forever:

Quote:
For reference, the complete set of FesPiaDefaultLastUserMode codes are listed here. The mode needs to be enabled on the car for these to work:

01 - Sport
02 - Sport Pro aka Sport Plus
03 - Sport Individual
04 - Comfort
05 - Comfort Plus
06 - Comfort Individual
07 - Eco
08 - Eco Plus
09 - Eco Individual
0A - Adaptive
      10-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Can definitely code it, but not yet through Bimmercode because it doesn't support the associated ECU (so can't do it in Expert mode either).
Thanks for that, that's a shame, was hoping I would get that option with Bimmercode.

I haven't set up Esys, how hard is that application to setup and use?
I'm an electronic (communications) engineer, so I'm a tech head, but very much a beginner (novice) on car coding, just about to start - so don't wanna stuff up my new pride and joy...

Maybe I can ask the Service Dept to setup at the dealer?

Alternatively I can setup Esys and try from there.

By the way, the URL link you sent doesn't work.....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

I wonder why BMW doesn't enable Sports+ mode by default on all their cars? ...especially their 6-cylinder models.

Is there a risk that Sports+ mode puts the drive train (engine, transmission..etc) under too much undue stress if its not the performance model? - therefore reliability might suffer?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Thanks for that, that's a shame, was hoping I would get that option with Bimmercode.

I haven't set up Esys, how hard is that application to setup and use?
I'm an electronic (communications) engineer, so I'm a tech head, but very much a beginner (novice) on car coding, just about to start - so don't wanna stuff up my new pride and joy...

Maybe I can ask the Service Dept to setup at the dealer?

Alternatively I can setup Esys and try from there.

By the way, the URL link you sent doesn't work.....
The link is generated by the Bimmerpost app and it does works in the app. I know what the issue is, but I am not going to waste time debugging yet another piece of crap careless software/system setup for someone else (I don't mean you, James_G0530d).

Coding is in the grey area. BMW dealers aren't going to support you on this, quite possibly the opposite.

The ESys setup is not particularly complicated at this time as there has been many years of work in the coding ecosystem. But those many years of work also created lots of information and technical cruft and chaos. The other 'fest forum has lots of discussion and some of it is even still valid. But to give a quick checklist-style overview:

- setup a decent Windows machine
- buy an Ethernet to OBDII adapter that supports G-series explicitly
- get latest ESys
- get latest psdzdata lite data set
- if intend to do FDL coding (vs just VO coding; desire to do FDL coding is common), get a "launcher"; you have two choices: a) ESysX for which you pay explicitly but is overall slightly better maintained and way more predictable, or b) TokenMaster's Launcher Pro for which you have to make a specific cause donation and hope you do it right and then hope TokenMaster doesn't take too long to send you the code (delay is between a week and infinity, but often a week or two right now)
- optional: take a look at Cheat Codes which slightly simplify FDL coding); see github and right now all G007/G005 work is in jokinawa.xml; these work within ESys with both ESysX and Launcher Pro approach
yans29.00
      10-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I wonder why BMW doesn't enable Sports+ mode by default on all their cars? ...especially their 6-cylinder models.

Is there a risk that Sports+ mode puts the drive train (engine, transmission..etc) under too much undue stress if its not the performance model? - therefore reliability might suffer?
Reading BMW's intentions is futile and impossible. In many ways their decisions, cars, hardware, and software are often brilliant ... and almost as often utterly idiotic.

I've been driving with SportPlus startup for a few weeks and love it. It did immediately occur to me to not rev hard (which is trivial in SportPlus) until the car warms up. That could be a reason to not start in SportPlus, so be cautious.

Beyond that, owning a modern bimmer outside of base or extended warranty is an insane concept, so I would say it doesn't much matter if it "stresses" the car as long as one doesn't do something stupid like redline the car from -20C start.
      02-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Reading BMW's intentions is futile and impossible. In many ways their decisions, cars, hardware, and software are often brilliant ... and almost as often utterly idiotic.

I've been driving with SportPlus startup for a few weeks and love it. It did immediately occur to me to not rev hard (which is trivial in SportPlus) until the car warms up. That could be a reason to not start in SportPlus, so be cautious.

Beyond that, owning a modern bimmer outside of base or extended warranty is an insane concept, so I would say it doesn't much matter if it "stresses" the car as long as one doesn't do something stupid like redline the car from -20C start.
Hey Lexx, I've worked it out mate ...

Now that I have access to the Body Domain Controller, I had to code TWO rows under 3221 PfFesMaster:
- FesPiaDefaultSportWorldMode: Changed to 0x02 (SportExpert) - from 0x01 (NotSportExpert)
- FesSportWorldMode1: changed to 0x02 (SportExpert)

Under the FesSportWorldMode1, there was also the option of "XtraBoost" which had a value of 0x17. I was very tempted to try it, as I like the sound of "XtraBoost"

I now have access to Sport, Sport Plus, and Sport Individual options, damn awesome....

Last edited by James_G0540i; 02-18-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

OK so I couldn't help myself...

I tried changing the FesSportWorldMode1 to "XtraBoost" to see what happens.

I noticed the IDLE revs went up by a couple of hundred RPMs. Now I dont know if it was because I was running the A/C or whether the setting change did it, however I turned off the A/C and it stayed there. I'm hoping the new setting adds a little extra turbo boost - as the name implies, but who knows...

I'll report back after my drive to work tomorrow morning, ...I like to "live dangerously" ..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

I noticed the IDLE revs went up by a couple of hundred RPMs. Now I dont know if it was because I was running the A/C or whether the setting change did it, however I turned off the A/C and it stayed there. I'm hoping the new setting adds a little extra turbo boost - as the name implies, but who knows...

I'll report back after my drive to work tomorrow morning, ...I like to "live dangerously" ..
Hmm ... if that's the case, and this increases the turbo boost, I would be weary of changing anything. you don't want to run the risk of increasing the PSI of your turbo too much and damaging something. Surely they will notice this change and it will void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I had noticed that taunting parameter in the past as well. If we think it's turbo pressure boost including at idle, you can use Bimmerlink or a similar app to monitor turbo pressure with and without that setting to try to get an objective read.

Incidentally, I've found that Bimmerlink turbo pressure gauge quite useful in my current trouble with the DINANtronics Sport module — you can immediately tell normal from abnormal pressure behaviour when observing it. Don't forget to compare it against ambient pressure gauge in real time. DINANtronics Sport saga continues, another thread, but I am no longer impressed with Dinan's electronics manufacturing configuration management controls so far.
      02-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I'd be careful. Bimmercode doesn't show the underlying logic as to why a code should be set or not set.

If you set the wrong codes you risk damage or danger. For example MY2020 have new side radar hardware. This is set in coding from standard to high performance. If I change a my2019 to use high performance everything seems fine.

Connect ISTA up and it reports a different story, clearly identifying a hardware conflict and that the car is now 'blind' (its phrase) on the side, impacting driver assist systems. Worryingly the car itself reports nothing in I-drive.

Point is in esys I can see that this setting is not meant for my build version, and other model specific stuff. Without that info you really are living dangerously
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I had noticed that taunting parameter in the past as well. If we think it's turbo pressure boost including at idle, you can use Bimmerlink or a similar app to monitor turbo pressure with and without that setting to try to get an objective read.

Incidentally, I've found that Bimmerlink turbo pressure gauge quite useful in my current trouble with the DINANtronics Sport module — you can immediately tell normal from abnormal pressure behaviour when observing it. Don't forget to compare it against ambient pressure gauge in real time.
Bimmerlink turbo pressure gauge? ....is that another App? or part of Bimmercode?

Thanks for the advice guys, I dont want to push the car beyond its point, especially considering the experience with my 1st G05 which I returned as a lemon - I never got to coding that car because I was too busy sorting out all the issues.

I backed out that "Xtraboost" change this morning, back to just Sport Plus mode.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      04-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Did anyone manage to get Coasting working in other modes (other than Eco Pro). I enabled the global coasting codes in MGU and I have the settings in iDrive. But nothing seems to happen in Comfort Mode

The codes are
HU_MGU -> GLOBAL_CONF_SAILING = Aktiv
HU_MGU -> EFF_DYN_SAILING = Aktiv
HU_MGU -> SAILING_COUNTER = Aktiv.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
Did anyone manage to get Coasting working in other modes (other than Eco Pro). I enabled the global coasting codes in MGU and I have the settings in iDrive. But nothing seems to happen in Comfort Mode

The codes are
HU_MGU -> GLOBAL_CONF_SAILING = Aktiv
HU_MGU -> EFF_DYN_SAILING = Aktiv
HU_MGU -> SAILING_COUNTER = Aktiv.
I thought "Coasting" disengages the transmission from the drive-train so as to avoid engine braking, so you probably need to change something involving the Transmission - so try the BDC (Body Domain Controller) ECU.

Those settings are only the Head-Unit and menu UI options, you will need to find the corresponding settings in the Transmission/Drive-train to actually invoke it.

What are you trying to achieve with coasting? you might save some fuel, but you will wear down your brake pads faster, and BM pads and/or discs can be expensive...
Appreciate 0