BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: %C2%9118 F80 ZCP

Can you add a factory hitch later?

I've been looking to adding a factory hitch to my wife's G05.

One dealer says it cost close to $2,000 for install, wiring and reprogramming the computer.

Another dealer says it costs $1,500 but their parts Dept says you can't order a hitch for 2019+....

Can anyone firm if it's possible to add a factory hitch not at time of ordering a car? And if so what price points I should expect?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
pburleson
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i M Sport

Check out Stealth Hitches. www.Stealthhitches.com
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
I've been looking to adding a factory hitch to my wife's G05.

One dealer says it cost close to $2,000 for install, wiring and reprogramming the computer.

Another dealer says it costs $1,500 but their parts Dept says you can't order a hitch for 2019+....

Can anyone firm if it's possible to add a factory hitch not at time of ordering a car? And if so what price points I should expect?
No reprogramming will be needed if you can select two mode from the option menu.... Just check that.

Like stated the stealth hitch seems to be the best route since you wont need new rear bumper and defuse covers.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

When ordering the factory tow package on the car, you also get bigger rear brakes, and increased transmission cooling. This will not be added when getting the OEM dealer installed parts after the car is built. You'll also have less overall towing capacity but nothing significant.
I think this highlights the bargain that is the factory package. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but depending on what you're towing, aftermarket will be the best bang for your buck since you already own the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
When ordering the factory tow package on the car, you also get bigger rear brakes, and increased transmission cooling. This will not be added when getting the OEM dealer installed parts after the car is built. You'll also have less overall towing capacity but nothing significant.
I think this highlights the bargain that is the factory package. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but depending on what you're towing, aftermarket will be the best bang for your buck since you already own the car.
Whoa first I have heard of larger brakes or more cooling?? Do you have a source to point to that lists this, very curious since mine came with tow package.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate the responses!

This is what is so perplexing about something that seems so simple to ask...

If those add-ons can only be gotten when building or ordering a car, then it does show how much of a value the tow hitch has and to just order it.

I'm still awaiting an answer from another SA to see what the verdict is. At this point, I'm not sure anyone knows the answer haha : )
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Whoa first I have heard of larger brakes or more cooling?? Do you have a source to point to that lists this, very curious since mine came with tow package.
Also the rear axle is beefed up with the factory hitch I believe
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Any information pointing to this.

So far I have not yielded anything that points to any addon's with a factory hitch. I might have to call up my SA to ask if they know.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I live in Texas, and called a dealer in Georgia early this morning. Got in touch with a nice guy named Jim who looked up the 2019 and said that installing a factory hitch is not possible b/c BMW has not released a kit yet. He said dealers tend to be confused that a 2018 and older "hitch kit" will fit, but BMW says it won't.

So calling a new random dealer confirmed my thought, it's not available...

To make things more strange, my current SA called me to say they have the "hitch kit" in stock and can install it when I drop the car off for an oil change and the software recall update that's needed...

I guess I'll find out soon if it's possible...lol
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Any information pointing to this.

So far I have not yielded anything that points to any addon's with a factory hitch. I might have to call up my SA to ask if they know.
This tidbit is straight from my CA and SA when I was going to order a X5 with factory tow and third row seats. But I ended up switching to the X7 with the third row shortage earlier in the year. The X7 supposedly has the same beefed up axle with factory tow as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
you also get bigger rear brakes, and increased transmission cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
I am not able to find any official documentation for these.
I usually assume that these are not true unless I can see official specs. I don't trust verbal info from dealers.

One thing for sure though is the addition of trailer stability control with factory hitch.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      11-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
I've had the BMW OEM towbar installed by my dealer, as mine didn't come with the towbar and wasn't even orderable at the time. It's removable when not in use, and fits under the rear bumper/diffuser.

Braked towing capacity is 2700Kgs (6000lbs), factory fitted is 3500Kgs (7700lbs) - which I don't need, plus it ruins the aesthetics of the diffuser (just IMO). Yes the BMW OEM after delivery option is more expensive (around $2800 for us here in Oz), but on the positive its removed when not in use - so the car looks normal.

If you have the M-sport package, you get bigger brakes. So that one goes away for me.

The Transmission cooling is a programming change, part of the coding when you get the towbar installed by a dealer. The vehicle senses its towing a load, and changes into "towing mode", which also disables a few of the PDC and other stability safety features, but at the same time enables a towing stability program. I can assure you there is no "special" towing transmission.

I honestly wouldn't try putting a tow bar on without programming/coding (which = dealer should do it), you're asking for problems if you do. The electronics, stability control, and intelligence in these cars is highly advanced - and you want to ensure its all synchronised when towing - else nasty things can happen.

Let me share a personal experience ....I've had a tyre blow out on my trailer (fully loaded to around 1800kgs) around 3 years ago at 110km/h (~70mph) in my F15 X5, which had the same type of towbar as I have now (including full coding). The towing stability kicked in, and I was able to pull over gracefully with no jack-knifing or fishing-tailing/ side to side effect. It was extremely impressive.
Now would that have happened without programming/coding? - I actually don't know..., but with my family in the car neither would I want to gamble their safety off for a few bucks. My advice, get it done properly.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 11-05-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      11-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I honestly wouldn't try putting a tow bar on without programming/coding (which = dealer should do it), you're asking for problems if you do. The electronics, stability control, and intelligence in these cars is highly advanced - and you want to ensure its all synchronised when towing - else nasty things can happen.
This is exactly why I'm opting to go through the dealer over going with something from a 3rd party installer like a Hidden Hitch. From what I've read the "coding in" of a having a hitch changes numerous things within the motor and transmission. Something you don't get with a 3rd party installer. I'll never pull over 5,000lbs, but I'm glad it'll be there.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

And it's a no go for a factory hitch to be added later.

For those of you ordering, better get a hitch while you have the option.

Also nothing about beefier brakes or rear end were mentioned. It's all computer programming to have a "tow pkg" beyond the physical hitch itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #15
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

FYI, if you get the tow hitch from factory, there will not be a comfort opening of the trunk by waving your foot underneath. Found that out after getting the car...slightly disappointed but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I'm not sure why that's been such a focal point in prior posts about having a hitch. But I get it people like it.

My wife and I have never once used it but wish we had a hitch often! Haha. To each their own I guess 😊
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #17
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
FYI, if you get the tow hitch from factory, there will not be a comfort opening of the trunk by waving your foot underneath. Found that out after getting the car...slightly disappointed but well worth it.
I've lost the comfort trunk opening with the after factory OEM option too (installed by dealer). Dealer said you lose it either way.

Doesn't bother me anyway, I never used that feature - which has to rank as one of the most useless waste of time features anyway. It never worked reliably anyway, the position means the sensor always gets grime, dust, or dirt on it which make it inoperable. Happy to just use the internal switch or fob button...
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
bgmillhouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I've had the BMW OEM towbar installed by my dealer, as mine didn't come with the towbar and wasn't even orderable at the time. It's removable when not in use, and fits under the rear bumper/diffuser.

Braked towing capacity is 2700Kgs (6000lbs), factory fitted is 3500Kgs (7700lbs) - which I don't need, plus it ruins the aesthetics of the diffuser (just IMO). Yes the BMW OEM after delivery option is more expensive (around $2800 for us here in Oz), but on the positive its removed when not in use - so the car looks normal.

If you have the M-sport package, you get bigger brakes. So that one goes away for me.

The Transmission cooling is a programming change, part of the coding when you get the towbar installed by a dealer. The vehicle senses its towing a load, and changes into "towing mode", which also disables a few of the PDC and other stability safety features, but at the same time enables a towing stability program. I can assure you there is no "special" towing transmission.

Let me share a personal experience ....I've had a tyre blow out on my trailer (fully loaded to around 1800kgs) around 3 years ago at 110km/h (~70mph) in my F15 X5, which had the same type of towbar as I have now (including full coding). The towing stability kicked in, and I was able to pull over gracefully with no jack-knifing or fishing-tailing/ side to side effect. It was extremely impressive.
Now would that have happened without programming/coding? - I actually don't know..., but with my family in the car neither would I want to gamble their safety off for a few bucks. My advice, get it done properly.
Hey James - can you confirm if things like disabling reverse sensors happens automatically when you are towing or have a bike rack on with this setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #19
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmillhouse View Post
Hey James - can you confirm if things like disabling reverse sensors happens automatically when you are towing or have a bike rack on with this setup?
Disabling of Reverse Sensors occurs under something called "Trailer mode". Car's transmission behaviour and safety systems also change to accommodate added stability for towing.

I find that when I connect the car to my boat trailer, it automatically goes into Trailer mode, so the car's controllers must sense an electrical load connected to the car via the electrical/lights trailer plug.

You can also select Trailer mode manually from iDrive too, so if you are not plugging in an electrical trailer connection (eg. a bike rack ..?) it can still be enabled manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #20
bgmillhouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Disabling of Reverse Sensors occurs under something called "Trailer mode". Car's transmission behaviour and safety systems also change to accommodate added stability for towing.

I find that when I connect the car to my boat trailer, it automatically goes into Trailer mode, so the car's controllers must sense an electrical load connected to the car via the electrical/lights trailer plug.

You can also select Trailer mode manually from iDrive too, so if you are not plugging in an electrical trailer connection (eg. a bike rack ..?) it can still be enabled manually.
Great thanks for that. Is the towbar itself a "Westfalia" branded unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #21
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmillhouse View Post
Great thanks for that. Is the towbar itself a "Westfalia" branded unit?
Its a Westfalia unit; the ball cap has "Westfalia" on it, but BMW have put their branded stickers on the hitch. See pics....

NOTE that towing capacity on this setup is reduced to 2700kgs, not 3500kgs the factory hitch/bumper has, but 2700kgs is way in excess (to the tune of 1000kgs) for what I need, so all good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #22
tmas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Ball size

What size is the ball? Can you change? Also, is there a 2" receiver option if you want to install a bike rake, etc.?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0