BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Space below fuse panel - Possible storage space?

If you open the right hand (fuse panel) cover in the luggage compartment there seems to be a sizeable space down below the fuse panel. It's unlined but seems it might be a useful space to store infrequently used items out of the way.

Does anybody use this space and would there be any issues. Obviously I'd need to put some sort of padding in there to stop things moving about or rattling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
If you open the right hand (fuse panel) cover in the luggage compartment there seems to be a sizeable space down below the fuse panel. It's unlined but seems it might be a useful space to store infrequently used items out of the way.

Does anybody use this space and would there be any issues. Obviously I'd need to put some sort of padding in there to stop things moving about or rattling.
I have a very similar space like that in my X3, that's where I store cleaning rags, sponge, bottle of spray water, small tool kit and car washing soap. Just be sure not to put anything sharp or abrasive in there or for that matter, conductive.
Appreciate 1
six337.50
      11-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Blimey, I use both sides 'storage' extensively! I got a small compressor in there, a compact shovel+pick, a small axe, a compact foldable saw, a tyre repair kit, a roll of 3M fibreglass reinforced tape etc etc.

You can 'line' it yourself with pretty much anything. I used to have that in the X3 as well, the X5 has even more space :-)
perikifi165.50
      11-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
six
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Blimey, I use both sides 'storage' extensively! I got a small compressor in there, a compact shovel+pick, a small axe, a compact foldable saw, a tyre repair kit, a roll of 3M fibreglass reinforced tape etc etc.

You can 'line' it yourself with pretty much anything. I used to have that in the X3 as well, the X5 has even more space :-)
Interesting. I have a BMW compressor and repair kit I used to keep in my F15 and wanted to put it in the new G05. Didn’t want it under the floor in that space and the left hand side was too small. For some reason I didn’t consider looking in the right hand side

The space looks big enough, just need to pad it out and it will be a good home for the compressor. I have run flats but have always thought being able to pump up a punctured run-flat would be useful in lieu of a proper spare...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
six
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I have a very similar space like that in my X3, that's where I store cleaning rags, sponge, bottle of spray water, small tool kit and car washing soap. Just be sure not to put anything sharp or abrasive in there or for that matter, conductive.
Good shout. I’m a bit concerned about things sitting on top of the top rivet looking things that project upwards. Might make a foam pad with cut outs for the rivets to line the bottom surface
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
six
Lieutenant
Rep

It could be such a useful space, it’s a shame BMW haven’t been innovative and incorporated it into a proper storage spot. In the same space on the F15 there was a deep plastic holder that was ideal for carrying a milk container or bottles of drink. Seems they’ve gone a bit cheap this time round. And while I’m on it I missed the rails with sliding tie down points today. I had to load a lawn mower to take it for a service and only having corner tie down spots for ratchet straps was far less convenient than the old system.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post

Conductive materials + high energy circuits... what could POSSIBLY go wrong? 😂