BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Narrowly avoided a collision tonight. Is there a log of the event?

I was driving down Wilshire Blvd. tonight doing about 45 MPH and a Honda Civic parked on the right side of the street decided to suddenly hang a u turn right in front of me. He must not have seen me when he made this boneheaded decision. His car was at one point perpendicular to mine and I could see the driver clearly. His door missed my bumper by what seemed to be inches. The X5 braked hard enough that my head was forced down and when I came back up I looked in the side mirrors and could see smoke from the rear tires. I do not recall hearing any audio beeps indicating that a safety system was triggered but everything happened so fast it might have gone off. Is there an event log that is stored in the computer that I can download? I would like to know if one of the systems was triggered. I think at a minimum the X5 enhanced my braking pressure when i hit the brakes. I don't think my reaction time was that great so i think i have the car to thank for the fortunate result. I will be getting a dash cam installed this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

Better have dashcam. The young lady with jeep just hit me at back door on passenger side when she tried to pulled out from parking beside the street. My car came straight at 20 mph and already passed her car but she tried to turn around and hit! She refuse and said i drive over speed limit and why dont i stop seeing her coming out OMG! Anyway i get a file from my dashcam to police and insurance and they said it is her false and i have to pay my deductible to get my car repair at dealer because her insurance is low cost and will provide junk bodyshop! Get your dash cam!
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      11-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I was driving down Wilshire Blvd. tonight doing about 45 MPH and a Honda Civic parked on the right side of the street decided to suddenly hang a u turn right in front of me. He must not have seen me when he made this boneheaded decision. His car was at one point perpendicular to mine and I could see the driver clearly. His door missed my bumper by what seemed to be inches. The X5 braked hard enough that my head was forced down and when I came back up I looked in the side mirrors and could see smoke from the rear tires. I do not recall hearing any audio beeps indicating that a safety system was triggered but everything happened so fast it might have gone off. Is there an event log that is stored in the computer that I can download? I would like to know if one of the systems was triggered. I think at a minimum the X5 enhanced my braking pressure when i hit the brakes. I don't think my reaction time was that great so i think i have the car to thank for the fortunate result. I will be getting a dash cam installed this week.
Thankfully you are ok! People are off in their own world these days...cellphones aside, I’ve seen some really stupid things lately, and just wonder about where the future leads. Anyway, I think a lot of these safety systems pre-charge the brakes so you don’t have to put it down to the floor...not sure on this particular vehicle. I know that vehicles these days have a “black box” that records events. Now I have no idea if there is a was to pull it or if a dealer would pull it for you. From, what I understand, the police use this data when recreating crash scenes. Someone else with a little more expertise could probably chime in and explain it better. Again, glad you’re alright! It could’ve been much worse, and I’m willing to bet the car did beep, but you were not concerned with that at the moment. That adrenaline dump really does a number on you!
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      11-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Not sure if your car is so equipped, but would be interesting someday to see how Drive Recorder functions in a circumstance like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 M Sport

Set up Drive Recorder. I have it set as a widget on my iDrive home screen. If feel I need video information about an event I can tap the widget to immediately save the preceding 20 seconds and the following 20 seconds of video from all 4 cameras. You can set it to automatically activate in the event of a collision or other event.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
Set up Drive Recorder. I have it set as a widget on my iDrive home screen. If feel I need video information about an event I can tap the widget to immediately save the preceding 20 seconds and the following 20 seconds of video from all 4 cameras. You can set it to automatically activate in the event of a collision or other event.

Yep - understand how it operates and I have mine set up. I just wondered what the results look like in an event like this, especially since there was no actual contact.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
. ... I just wondered what the results look like in an event like this, especially since there was no actual contact.
Next time you are driving just hit the button and manually record an “event”. You can then look at the video or download it and look at it on a larger screen or device.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Not sure if your car is so equipped, but would be interesting someday to see how Drive Recorder functions in a circumstance like this.
I have a 2019 so no Drive Recorder on mine although I do have the Executive package. I would be interested in retrofitting it to my X5 as I intend to keep it 5+ years. Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to do it.

I am not sure if I would have remembered to hit the camera button w/i 20 seconds after the near miss. 20 seconds is really not a lot of time. That buffer needs to be 20 minutes, not seconds.

Last edited by robby818; 11-17-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Cybergold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Why there was no audio? Is there any set up to turn it on?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I have the old version (2013) and with that old system, there are multiple circumstances that come into play. It can depend on how fast you're driving, how fast the other car is going, and how you have the system set-up to respond (which you can select in iDrive).

Sometimes its just a visual warning, and sometimes its the audible and visual warning...again, it depends on speed of both vehicles and how you have the system set for warnings.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybergold View Post
Why there was no audio? Is there any set up to turn it on?
Audio played for me without having to do anything but click play - check your device/puter audio settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
... I have a 2019 so no Drive Recorder on mine ...

I am not sure if I would have remembered to hit the camera button w/i 20 seconds after the near miss. 20 seconds is really not a lot of time. That buffer needs to be 20 minutes, not seconds.
I am not sure if it will work on your care but the Drive Recorder is an App in the BMW Store that you access on your iDrive. See if you can download it.

Make sure and have it also set to automatic then you don’t have to remember to hit the camera button.

I would like it more than 20 seconds also but then that is why I have a dash cam. If you are in an accident that involves the need to have 20 minutes of video before the accident, you have a real problem. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
... I have a 2019 so no Drive Recorder on mine ...

I am not sure if it will work on your care but the Drive Recorder is an App in the BMW Store that you access on your iDrive. See if you can download it.

Make sure and have it also set to automatic then you don't have to remember to hit the camera button.

I would like it more than 20 seconds also but then that is why I have a dash cam. If you are in an accident that involves the need to have 20 minutes of video before the accident, you have a real problem. lol
BMW Store? Picture on how you access it, please. :-)
      11-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

Make sure and have it also set to automatic then you don’t have to remember to hit the camera button.

It is currently not available for the 2019s. Hopefully, like the Assisted Driving View, it will be opened up to the 2019s in the future.
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      11-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
BMW Store? Picture on how you access it, please. :-)
iDrive main menu on the left bottom, “APPS” select, next page has an APPS STORE option.

I do not see a way to add a photo to the post via upload.
Appreciate 0