BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Has anyone else had issues with their "harmonic balancer" on the crankshaft coming apart like we did last week? Caused the drive belt to shred losing drive to the alternator and water pump. Engine smoked for 20 minutes and the coolant boiled over. Roadside towed the car 100 miles to the dealer but was little help with a rental. We ironically found a private company that could deliver a RRS in 15 minutes (off season in the mountains is not a good time for car rentals). This wasn't the first issue with my 2019 off-road - early October 2018 build. Was just in the shop for 4 days three weeks before for 12k tune and to replace the steering column and handle 10 months worth of software updates and other recalls. Completely unacceptable and very dangerous to loose power at 80MPH. Fortunately a flat straight section of the interstate (speed limit is 75) and no accident safely exiting to park. Also fortunate to find a well equipped just cancelled special order 2020. No off road pack or tow hitch like my last, but Air Suspension, dynamic steering, DAP, lux seating, etc. Advising friends who I recommended buy the new X5 and got 2019s to at least have their cars checked out before any issues. Hopefully just an early build problem - have read elsewhere here about alternator issues and similar Power Supply warnings like we saw. Never before experienced anything like this. My 2012, 2014 and 2017 Rovers all had zero issues. My then new 2010 BMW 35d of course had to have squealing brake pads replaced 1 month in. Fingers crossed with the 2020. The ergonomics, comfort and performance are all wonderful. Just hoping for the givens of reasonable realizability and safety. Additionally hope my 2019 gets retired or offers the 2nd owner a safe car once repaired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I wish but BMW wants things to go down the legal road with mine so

sorry to hear about yours, hopefully the new one is better. I still love my X5 despite it's quirks
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Ouch! Hoping you have better luck with the 2020. So did BMW help out with the 2020 or was this on your own accord? Complete BS if it's the latter.

AndroidRobot I assume you're going the Lemon Law route? It sucks, since the vehicle, when at it's peak performance is a delight.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Ouch! Hoping you have better luck with the 2020. So did BMW help out with the 2020 or was this on your own accord? Complete BS if it's the latter.

AndroidRobot I assume you're going the Lemon Law route? It sucks, since the vehicle, when at it's peak performance is a delight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I wish but BMW wants things to go down the legal road with mine so

sorry to hear about yours, hopefully the new one is better. I still love my X5 despite it's quirks
Quote:

Thanks guys. Unfortunately no real assistance from dealer other than the decent standard deal. Cost me quite a bit of money with depreciation, but safety first issue. Can't mess around with loaner and rental cars or the uncertainty of future issues. Fingers crossed was right decision and will push with BMWNA. The new vehicle is very nice loaded up, but I was quite happy and will miss my off road. Still have to add a 3rd party trailer hitch and change over snow tires a second time in 4 weeks, but that's little hassle compared to what it could have been if we had an accident.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Agreed safety above all else. I would pester BMWNA, especially since it is a documented issue. Maybe you being proactive will light a fire under their ass! Did the dealership or BMWNA hook you up on any maintenance plans or warranties from the other vehicle? That seems like the least they could do.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed safety above all else. I would pester BMWNA, especially since it is a documented issue. Maybe you being proactive will light a fire under their ass! Did the dealership or BMWNA hook you up on any maintenance plans or warranties from the other vehicle? That seems like the least they could do.
Nothing, no. Did purchase the same maintenance and glass package as before, whether they're worth anything or not. Never had brake wear or glass issue that insurance didn't handle, but I was exhausted and just went with it. Plan on keeping the car probably 2.5-3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Well, you know if you didn't get it...you would need it. I didn't get the wheel and tire on my M3 and cringed every single time I hit something.

I can't believe there was no hook up on the part of BMW. I know the dealership has less wiggle room, but hopefully something will come up. But like you said, you get a better vehicle and hopefully the nuances are all worked out. Keep us posted on the outcome with the 2019!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Can't believe you would purchase the same car after these issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Jbowles3
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan/2019 X5

Call a lawyer

We had an issue with a new automobile a few years ago. The car had suspension issues and was in the shop for over a month. On a lark, I called a lawyer (lemonlaw.com). They negotiated with the manufacturer and got us a new car at no cost to us. Literally drove the 2012 to the dealer and drove away with a 2013.

Good luck. Maybe it’s not too late!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Can't believe you would purchase the same car after these issues.
Trust me, I was thinking the same. But in all the 1,000's of BMWs sold, I have to think there will be a few lemons. And I've had zero issues with Land Rover where everyone think's they are nightmares, so it's all just a matter of luck. My 2019 likely has further engine issues after this occurred and trading to another dealer brand would have been at an even greater loss. Keep in mind we also live 200 miles from anything but Land Rover and Audi (neither dealer I care to work with). I thought of the Lexus GX, Benz and Porsche, but in the end love the ergonomics, performance and safety features of the X5. Also have a 2019 XC60 T6 that my wife and I both love, but I didn't want the bigger XC90. The 2019 was a very early build and I should have known better to avoid but the timing didn't work out that way with my 2017 Discovery in the shop waiting for parts for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGASPEN View Post
Trust me, I was thinking the same. But in all the 1,000's of BMWs sold, I have to think there will be a few lemons. And I've had zero issues with Land Rover where everyone think's they are nightmares, so it's all just a matter of luck. My 2019 likely has further engine issues after this occurred and trading to another dealer brand would have been at an even greater loss. Keep in mind we also live 200 miles from anything but Land Rover and Audi (neither dealer I care to work with). I thought of the Lexus GX, Benz and Porsche, but in the end love the ergonomics, performance and safety features of the X5. Also have a 2019 XC60 T6 that my wife and I both love, but I didn't want the bigger XC90. The 2019 was a very early build and I should have known better to avoid but the timing didn't work out that way with my 2017 Discovery in the shop waiting for parts for 6 months.
Hope it all works out.
Appreciate 1