BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
concept
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Air Suspension - No Adjustment

I really hoped this car would be everything I wanted, and for a couple of weeks, it was. It now seems it's being all "Range Rover" on me and throwing me a fair number of issues.

The latest is the air suspension not lowering itself or adjusting in anyway.

It went to the dealer for an issue with the steering column not adjusting and some other electrical bugs, including the suspension, but I was told it would all be sorted by the latest software update.

2 days later, suspension not working again.

Anyone else had this and had any solutions?

Last edited by concept; 11-20-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
What do you mean, by not working?

Here on my car it works, it has quite a bit of lag, and won't allow you to 'play' up/down, but it does the job... Park the car, press the lower tailgate button and it lowers, get in the car, raise it .... it takes about 15s or so but it works...
      11-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
concept
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post

Here on my car it works, it has quite a bit of lag, and won't allow you to 'play' up/down, but it does the job... Park the car, press the lower tailgate button and it lowers, get in the car, raise it .... it takes about 15s or so but it works...
It won't raise or lower.

You flick the lever/switch to adjust, and the light stays in the same position and doesn't adjust the suspension height.

Normally you flick the lever and the light flashes on the desired level, and goes solid when it reaches it. Now, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
What about the tailgate button?

Here the central console shows something on the main screen as well... it picture of the car raising/lowering. As mentioned, it's quite laggy...
      11-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
concept
Private
Rep

Not tried the tailgate lowering button, but yes, nothing shows on the main screen as it normally does.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

I thought that I had the same issue with the suspension on my x5 but subsequently discovered that you must not hold the suspension lever in position as this locks out the function (used for when changing wheels I believe)

I did initially report my problem to the local dealer but subsequently discovered this functionality by reading an online manual. Interestingly when I initially booked the car in for investigating this functionality was not mentioned to me.

Also you should be aware that the car will not raise or lower if any door is open.

All the above you may be already aware of.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
concept
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyx5 View Post
I thought that I had the same issue with the suspension on my x5 but subsequently discovered that you must not hold the suspension lever in position as this locks out the function (used for when changing wheels I believe)

I did initially report my problem to the local dealer but subsequently discovered this functionality by reading an online manual. Interestingly when I initially booked the car in for investigating this functionality was not mentioned to me.

Also you should be aware that the car will not raise or lower if any door is open.

Yes, aware of the above.

No doubt it will be what seems to be the acceptable norm on newer cars loaded with tech..."no fault stored" so cant do anything!!

Can you tell I've had my fill of cars lately?!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
I really hoped this car would be everything I wanted, and for a couple of weeks, it was. It now seems it's being all "Range Rover" on me and throwing me a fair number of issues.

The latest is the air suspension not lowering itself or adjusting in anyway.

It went to the dealer for an issue with the steering column not adjusting and some other electrical bugs, including the suspension, but I was told it would all be sorted by the latest software update.

2 days later, suspension not working again.

Anyone else had this and had any solutions?
What year X5 are you dealing with? I've had the 2019 off road pack and no issues and now the 2020 2 axle. Very similar to my land rovers aside from the speed limit fortunately working great.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyx5 View Post

Yes, aware of the above.

No doubt it will be what seems to be the acceptable norm on newer cars loaded with tech..."no fault stored" so cant do anything!!

Can you tell I've had my fill of cars lately?!
Does it lower when you sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Yes. No issues. 2019 model.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #11
concept
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
No, the drive mode buttons are not working also
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:

It won't raise or lower.

You flick the lever/switch to adjust, and the light stays in the same position and doesn't adjust the suspension height.

Normally you flick the lever and the light flashes on the desired level, and goes solid when it reaches it. Now, nothing.
Quote:
Quote:

It won't raise or lower.

Are you doing this whilst stationery or moving?
      11-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #13
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

You could try checking that your vehicle is not in "Trailer" mode (used when towing). I think it's under general settings.

I put my 2019 x5 into trailer mode because I had a bike rack on and that disabled any lowering of the air suspension.

Likely not your issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
concept
Private
Rep

Grrrr...this is an irritating fault.

It loses all drive modes, suspension settings, auto hold, parking cameras, start stop, that whole bank of buttons just freeze up.

The idrive works fine.

Back to the dealer we go!

Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #15
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]