BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

UK BMW X5 3.0d M-Sport vs Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus

As the title suggests has any UK based X5 3.0d owner/potential purchaser made any comparisons with the 2020 Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus?

I have deliberately chosen the 350d as it has a V6 diesel engine which is comparable in power output as the BMW 3.0d unit.

On paper the Mercedes does appear to be a premium vehicle with a very good specification and at a very competative price. The only downside for me personally is the column gear change as it is something I have never experienced in 35 years of driving.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
As the title suggests has any UK based X5 3.0d owner/potential purchaser made any comparisons with the 2020 Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus?

I have deliberately chosen the 350d as it has a V6 diesel engine which is comparable in power output as the BMW 3.0d unit.

On paper the Mercedes does appear to be a premium vehicle with a very good specification and at a very competative price. The only downside for me personally is the column gear change as it is something I have never experienced in 35 years of driving.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
I've test driven both, albeit the Mercedes much more than the BMW.

Despite targeting the same market, they were two completely different cars. For example, both have air suspension setups, the X5 is quite sporty and much more focused, whereas the Mercedes is the total opposite. It's more comfortable but wollowy and rolls more.

The engine on the BMW encourages you to drive it, irrespective of the model, whereas the mercedes was much more relaxed and encouraged you to just sit back and munch the miles. The BMW does this too, but it just feels more like a car you want to stamp your foot down and enjoy.

Interior wise, the Mercedes is a big step forward for them, especially the entertainment and UI. Personally it has a long way to go if it's to be as intuitive as the BMW, but still uniquely brilliant and not to be sniffed at.

If I was 50 or older I'd choose the Mercedes. I'm 30 with young kids so it was between the X5 and Cayenne. The X5 won.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

Despite targeting the same market, they were two completely different cars. For example, both have air suspension setups, the X5 is quite sporty and much more focused, whereas the Mercedes is the total opposite. It's more comfortable but wollowy and rolls more.

The engine on the BMW encourages you to drive it, irrespective of the model, whereas the mercedes was much more relaxed and encouraged you to just sit back and munch the miles. The BMW does this too, but it just feels more like a car you want to stamp your foot down and enjoy.

Interior wise, the Mercedes is a big step forward for them, especially the entertainment and UI. Personally it has a long way to go if it's to be as intuitive as the BMW, but still uniquely brilliant and not to be sniffed at.

If I was 50 or older I'd choose the Mercedes. I'm 30 with young kids so it was between the X5 and Cayenne. The X5 won.
Masterplan thanks for your comments.

I have heard from other forums and various other motoring sources that the X5 is more dynamic. In 37 years of motoring I have never owned a Mercedes, often choosing BMW or Audi. The 2020 GLE is the only Mercedes to have grabbed my attention. It has a very high spec in Premium Plus spec with many comforts that are extra cost on the X5.

Im 55 with both daughters at Uni, so the GLE might just win me over.

Im going to arrange a couple of extended test drives but neither BMW or Mercedes dealers are not falling over themselves at the moment to seek new business in my experience so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Masterplan thanks for your comments.

I have heard from other forums and various other motoring sources that the X5 is more dynamic. In 37 years of motoring I have never owned a Mercedes, often choosing BMW or Audi. The 2020 GLE is the only Mercedes to have grabbed my attention. It has a very high spec in Premium Plus spec with many comforts that are extra cost on the X5.

Im 55 with both daughters at Uni, so the GLE might just win me over.

Im going to arrange a couple of extended test drives but neither BMW or Mercedes dealers are not falling over themselves at the moment to seek new business in my experience so far.
Truthfully, I think you'd find the GLE everything you want and more, but if you like to really drive your cars then the X5 gives you something dynamic in my opinion.

If you really want an SUV with extra punch then the Cayenne S was also great. Just very expensive and not much in the way of standard spec.

Lastly, avoid Range Rover. I have one at the moment and will never buy another.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am, I was employed as a technician by them for 17 years!....got out in 2005.

I am however, still eligible for their employee discounts, but that is still not enough for me to consider one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am, I was employed as a technician by them for 17 years!....got out in 2005.

I am however, still eligible for their employee discounts, but that is still not enough for me to consider one.
That speaks volumes!
Appreciate 0