BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-28-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Diagram for left side of dashboard disassembly?

I am going to install a trailer brake controller in my new X5. I'm looking to install a Tekonsha Prodigy iD, which requires drilling a 1" diameter hole to install the control knob. Thanks to this post in the thread on installing brake controllers, I have a pretty good sense of how to access the connector underneath the dash to plug my controller in.

Because of the mounting hole required, I'm not sure I can make it fit in the left-hand side dash cubby. I'm looking at locations A and B in this photo as possible places to mount it.

Does anyone have a diagram as to how to disassemble the dash, ideally that shows what's behind this area?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

There's no space behind A. The small wood piece has a metal clip protruding out the center of its backside (that's how it attaches to the dashboard).

Not sure about B. You could remove the headlight switch cluster and the storage cubby, and that might let you get a look at what's behind B. Or maybe not, there's a lot of plastic behind the dash.

When you open the storage compartment there are two screws on the upper roof, remove those and the unit should come out downwards.

The light cluster can be pried out, it's held by four clips. Two on the top and two on the bottom. One on each side of the dial, one above the OFF button, one below the left parking light button.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 01:35 PM   #3
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

A less invasive location will be inside the small glove box below the light controller, it will stay invisible and accessible only when needed
Appreciate 0