11-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Serious Safety Concern

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just encountered a serious safety concerned with the Intelligent Safety System. I was driving along a road that the intelligent safety system was able to pick up noted by the two green lines and car icon in the dash. I saw someone running, and given the road, they were running against traffic in the shoulder, as is normal. Well, the lane keep and Intelligent Safety System did not want to leave the lane. I had to completely slow down to a crawl, and still wasn’t able to give the runner any room

This is a HUGE error on BMW’s part. Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine the same would go for cyclists or cars that are broken down. Am I missing something here? Once again, the vehicle wanted to throw me right back into the lane. I am just shocked.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Put your blinker on so you can steer without intervention. Works like a charm.
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      11-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

1. Use turn signal
2. Turn off "steering intervention" with lane departure warning. Steering wheel will vibrate to let you know you're about to leave your lane. This is my favorite.
3. Use force to overcome the "intelligence"
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      11-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I haven't had an instance where I couldn't manually overcome the steering correction, actually pretty easily. Sort of like switching from power to manual steering, but not even that hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

If what you described is how it happened, take it to the dealer. The system is designed to keep you in the lane and it works very well. There is no force needed to contract the steering intervention though, as soon as it feels a little counter steering it will stop. Many times I drive with a finger or two and can easily steer out of the lane.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

It’s not the amount of force to overcome it, it’s the quick motion of it. I figured the system would be able to detect a pedestrian and override the lane keep. If I have to use a turn signal, I might as well just leave it off. It’s just a pain in the ass getting in this car, since I have to throw that switch and the auto stop start. I’m not cool enough to code.

It’s just a one in a million chance that this happens, as I’ve passed people before. However, that one time when you got someone isn’t going to be fun. I am probably going to take it in. I’ve seen some people mention the KAFKAS? Not sure if I have a faulty unit. It’s crazy, the three X5 loaners I’ve driven I’ve never had an issue. Whenever I take it in, they can never find anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
It’s not the amount of force to overcome it, it’s the quick motion of it. I figured the system would be able to detect a pedestrian and override the lane keep. If I have to use a turn signal, I might as well just leave it off. It’s just a pain in the ass getting in this car, since I have to throw that switch and the auto stop start. I’m not cool enough to code.

It’s just a one in a million chance that this happens, as I’ve passed people before. However, that one time when you got someone isn’t going to be fun. I am probably going to take it in. I’ve seen some people mention the KAFKAS? Not sure if I have a faulty unit. It’s crazy, the three X5 loaners I’ve driven I’ve never had an issue. Whenever I take it in, they can never find anything.
I'm not following your description, if it is not the force then you should have been able to overcome it and move out of your lane once you weren't surprised anymore by it trying to keep you in your lane.

What level do you have the lane keeping set to? Early seems to work the best, maybe you have it set for later so it has to make more of a move.

The bad KAFAS camera's were in builds prior to 12/18 or so although I don't remember hearing any problems with steering intervention and the camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Also turning off steering intervention for lane DEPARTURE fortunately does not impact the lane KEEPING function when using cruise control. I turned off lane departure after about a week. I found it more bothersome than useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

So does tUrning these options off impact the individual setting or the default? I was under the impression it only changed the “Individual” setting under Intelligent Safety. It’s a pain in the ass shutting this off every time.

Also, to the people saying use “force” to steer out. It isn’t the intensity and inability to steer out of it...it’s the random jerking of the wheel. If someone can offer a logical solution, since I never really had these systems before. Again, where I live, we have a bunch of twists and turns in the road with no shoulder. People run and bike these roads, so coming up in someone quick and having the car make a correction out of nowhere is the issue. Right now, the only answer that makes sense is it shut it off. I turned down all the settings as mentioned by someone above, so we will see. Most of these added features only seem useful for highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
What version of software do you run? The July update made it a lot easier to 'override' the auto-steering. I had a couple of time where it was a bit authoritative before, and now it works very nicely. JUST the right amount of hold, as described by some other post.
      11-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
What version of software do you run? The July update made it a lot easier to 'override' the auto-steering. I had a couple of time where it was a bit authoritative before, and now it works very nicely. JUST the right amount of hold, as described by some other post.
07/2019.70
Appreciate 0