BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Bancroft
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Jerk when braking on 45e electric only

In electric only mode, at slow speeds, about 30 km/h, when I release the gas pedal and then I slightly hit the brake pedal, it seems to me that the car jerks a little. I think it's the moment when the car starts "recharging" or switches from "using" the battery to "recuperating" but I'm not sure.

Maybe it's the transmission? Has anyone experienced something like that? Is it normal? My car's odometer only shows 500 km total, so could that be the reason?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

I have been paying very close attention to the transitions, coasting -> recuperation -> braking, and coasting -> electric -> ICE. There is absolutely no way to notice the transitions, they are perfectly smooth. The drivetrain is the most amazing technological marvel in the car, in my opinion.

That said, I think you should have someone look at your car. I am now at 3000 km and it's been smooth from the start.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
I have been paying very close attention to the transitions, coasting -> recuperation -> braking, and coasting -> electric -> ICE. There is absolutely no way to notice the transitions, they are perfectly smooth. The drivetrain is the most amazing technological marvel in the car, in my opinion.

That said, I think you should have someone look at your car. I am now at 3000 km and it's been smooth from the start.
I am at 2000 km and haven't noticed anything either.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Currently at 3000 km and also nothing to say about it.
It's indeed an amazing technology.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Bancroft
Private
Rep

Maybe I'm just nitpicking. It's not that big of a deal. It's probably just the mere fact that I can notice these things that I'm worried about. I was just thinking that it could be a tiny bit smoother so that it's unnoticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #6
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post
In electric only mode, at slow speeds, about 30 km/h, when I release the gas pedal and then I slightly hit the brake pedal, it seems to me that the car jerks a little. I think it's the moment when the car starts "recharging" or switches from "using" the battery to "recuperating" but I'm not sure.

Maybe it's the transmission? Has anyone experienced something like that? Is it normal? My car's odometer only shows 500 km total, so could that be the reason?
It's recharging at that moment but I haven't sensed a jerk really when doing that, I'll pay attention to it to check. It's braking on the electric motor (or whatever thing) instead of brakes at that point to recharge battery faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
It's recharging at that moment but I haven't sensed a jerk really when doing that, I'll pay attention to it to check. It's braking on the electric motor (or whatever thing) instead of brakes at that point to recharge battery faster.
The 'thing' is really a curious device when you look into it. For the 45e hybrid transmission, the torque converter in the standard ZF 8HP transmission has been replaced with a device that acts as electric motor, generator+brake and electro-mechanical torque converter. This magic has been developed by ZF Friedrichshafen and is thus available for other auto makers, and other transmission makers seem to offer the same.

BMW and ZF must have worked pretty closely to get the B58 and the hybrid transmission to combine into such a smoothly operating package.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      02-03-2020, 01:55 AM   #8
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Thanks for info, just brought kids to school, absolutely no jerking here (sounds wrong) - it's super smooth, not noticeable really so I would suggest you take your car in so they can check what's wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Bancroft
Private
Rep

The truth is that my driving style is super comfortable and super smooth. I've been observing and testing in the past few days and I didn't notice any jerks. Maybe the word "jerks" was not the best choice - it's just the fact that I can notice down-shifting and/or recuperating.

When I press the brake pedal and hold it down in the same position for a bit, I expect the car to slow down gradually. Which it does but I notice/feel the switch from "cruising" to "braking" and/or "recuperating".

As perikifi pointed out, it's probably this "converter" that does all the work and the only reason I'm noticing these slight "transitions" or "gear shifts" is that I used to drive a Toyota and I compare this to their CVT (continuously variable transmission) which doesn't use any shifts/gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
iamlosthelp
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post
The truth is that my driving style is super comfortable and super smooth. I've been observing and testing in the past few days and I didn't notice any jerks. Maybe the word "jerks" was not the best choice - it's just the fact that I can notice down-shifting and/or recuperating.

When I press the brake pedal and hold it down in the same position for a bit, I expect the car to slow down gradually. Which it does but I notice/feel the switch from "cruising" to "braking" and/or "recuperating".

As perikifi pointed out, it's probably this "converter" that does all the work and the only reason I'm noticing these slight "transitions" or "gear shifts" is that I used to drive a Toyota and I compare this to their CVT (continuously variable transmission) which doesn't use any shifts/gears.
Hi! I recently just got a new 45e myself and have been experiencing the same thing. I would describe it as more of a light, subtle vibration from the pedal everytime I brake.

Just wondering if you were able to fix it or if you've just learned to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #11
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

There’s currently 3 active threads on this “45e brake jerking”.
Interesting…
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #12
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
There's currently 3 active threads on this "45e brake jerking".
Interesting…
Add 2021 mild hybrids to this list too! I presume many more will chime in as more of these models are sold and used. To add insult to the injury I can seldom come to a complete smooth stop, most of the time the X5 stops with a noticeable jolt (M Sport Brake).
      05-31-2021, 02:06 AM   #13
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Add 2021 mild hybrids to this list too! I presume many more will chime in as more of these models are sold and used. To add insult to the injury I can seldom come to a complete smooth stop, most of the time the X5 stops with a noticeable jolt (M Sport Brake).
Do you have Auto hold enabled? I think it kicks in a bit too early sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #14
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Do you have Auto hold enabled? I think it kicks in a bit too early sometimes.
No, I didn't enable Auto Hold at all yet.
      06-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #15
iamlosthelp
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Yeah I feel like it's some type of downshift/transmission issue as the car slows down. The "jolt" seems to come from the brake pedal area but only when I'm slowing down from certain speeds.

Maybe this is normal? Definitley bothersome though
Appreciate 0