BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

IDrive 7 & Android

Well, I never thought I would hate Apple this much, but due to a bad string of events with that company...we are breaking up.

Can anyone give insight into Android integration and ID7? I know it won't be as seamless as carplay, but i really just want music, texts, and calls. i use BMW's maps anyway. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

I am on Android and it works flawlessly. Once paired, which is easy, it simply works. It is simply a case of linking with bluetooth and allowing access to your phone contacts and messages. It should also link for audio access to your music.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
I am on Android and it works flawlessly. Once paired, which is easy, it simply works. It is simply a case of linking with bluetooth and allowing access to your phone contacts and messages. It should also link for audio access to your music.
Thanks. Was looking just for that type of answer! I’ve about had it with Apple. They bricked my HomePod speakers, and somehow managed to tell me they would be replace within 2 days to now 3 weeks. It’s a shame. The latest iOS has probably been more atrocious than some of the stuff the X5 has seen...and that’s a software company...

Thank you kind friend!
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      11-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I've never owned an Apple... never will. I know nothing about them. I know the functionality is good, and there's nothing "wrong" with them, I just hated how everything is proprietary, and it only works with other Apple devices.

Anyway.... been an Android guy since the very beginning.... and had 2 BMWs with older systems so far, and I never had a problem pairing, playing music (although album art never displayed), etc. Maybe Idrive7 works better? It certainly can't work any worse.... and it always worked pretty well as far as my experiences are concerned.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I've never owned an Apple... never will. I know nothing about them. I know the functionality is good, and there's nothing "wrong" with them, I just hated how everything is proprietary, and it only works with other Apple devices.

Anyway.... been an Android guy since the very beginning.... and had 2 BMWs with older systems so far, and I never had a problem pairing, playing music (although album art never displayed), etc. Maybe Idrive7 works better? It certainly can't work any worse.... and it always worked pretty well as far as my experiences are concerned.
Yeah, I just need basic functions. I was an Android guy prior to Apple (switch in 2014). I got way too deep into the ecosystem, so I am now trying to figure out where to go. The devices work and integration is great, but the company is only concerned about TV Shows, arcade games, and adding "Pro" to everything. I just read that analysts predict at 35-40% increase on the 2020 iPhone 5G over the 11 Pro now. It's just getting a bit ridiculous.

Which phone do you currently use? I like the Phone Key idea, but I know it is only certain models on certain carriers. Not sure if you can speak to that. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I don't even have a CAR yet But, I have done quite a bit of research.

Currently using the Galaxy S9 plus. I know for a fact it works in the charging pad, and there are people using it for the keyless entry too.

Truthfully, I "may" use it to start/warm up the car on cold mornings... otherwise, I'm old-fashioned I guess, and will just use the key as normal.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Good call. I have been trying to use the Key Card lately. We got a bunch of rain last night, and i ended up getting stuck on my way back home. I got drenched, since the card didn't seem to work at any angle. And of course...the Connected Drive app showed the good old "FAILED" message when I tried to unlock.

Ended up having to delete the app, download it again, unlock the car with the app, and drive off. Fun times.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Android works great with my X5, music, calls, messages all good. Google Assistant is actually a little faster than BMW's assistant, both co-exist and work well together. Short press on the mic to bring up BMW assistant, long press to bring up Google Assist or "Hey Google".

The BMW Key card does not require a subscription however if you want to use your Android Samsung phone that works too, BMW requires an annual subscription for phone based digital keys.

I had a Samsung S9+ which was a little quirky, and switched to the S10+ that works better. I bought both Samsung's "unlocked" versions directly from Samsung and then dropped in a Verizon sim card, it works great to both unlock the doors and start the car. You can screen mirror the phone screen to the iDrive display too, however that does require coding for Video in Motion, Android offers more options and better results in my experience. Enjoy your car, it's a blast to drive!

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 11-08-2019 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 1
Paladin15534.50
      11-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I haven't been able to get Google Assistant to work with a long press of the steering wheel mic button. Any clues how this should be configured?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
I haven't been able to get Google Assistant to work with a long press of the steering wheel mic button. Any clues how this should be configured?
That's odd and a little difficult to diagnose why it might not be working for you, there are many factors with the phone itself which might influence that response. From within the car it's a press and hold the microphone button on the steering wheel until I hear the assistant tone launch (probably 3 seconds or less) at which point I see the microphone symbol displayed in the Head's up display indicating "external dialogue." At this point the assistant is waiting for a question or task.

I'm running Android version 9 on the Samsung 10+ however I have made a number of modifications that make phone closer to a pure google experience. Probably up to step three here, (I'm fine with my stock camera): https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...pixel-0195236/

So some of the basics questions for you, have you downloaded and installed the Google Assistant? Can you launch it from your phone by saying either "OK" or "Hey Google" You'd probably at least need to set up voice match and allow voice match permissions to access depending upon the lock screen state and screen on/off state.

How to connect Google Assistant on your phone through a Bluetooth connection:
Open the Google app on your phone.
Tap More on the bottom navigation bar.
Tap Settings.
Tap Voice.
Tap Voice Match and ensure that Access with Voice Match is toggled on.

Probably a good place to start, hope that helps. I'm pretty sure this has worked at least since the March 2019 release of iDrive.

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 11-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: more typos..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks ddelX52019G05

Tried all these steps and still no luck getting the mic button to trigger google assistant. I do not get the 'external dialog' message when I hold the button.
Not sure what else might be wrong. Are there any settings needed in iDrive - or will all the settings be Android dependent?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

I have Andoid Samsung Note 10+. all works good, except photo of calling contact and pic of label in music streaming don't appear.
p.s.. phone was bought in UAE, car assembled for Russia.
      11-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Thanks ddelX52019G05

Tried all these steps and still no luck getting the mic button to trigger google assistant. I do not get the 'external dialog' message when I hold the button.
Not sure what else might be wrong. Are there any settings needed in iDrive - or will all the settings be Android dependent?
I'm not certain why it's not working for you, I'm not aware of any settings in iDrive which might influence this function working. I actually use the "OK or Hey Google" phrase more often than pressing the button as that seems to be the quickest way to summon a response, only use the button in louder conditions or when the phrase fails. Hope you can get it working.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #14
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Android works great with my X5, music, calls, messages all good. Google Assistant is actually a little faster than BMW's assistant, both co-exist and work well together. Short press on the mic to bring up BMW assistant, long press to bring up Google Assist or "Hey Google".

The BMW Key card does not require a subscription however if you want to use your Android Samsung phone that works too, BMW requires an annual subscription for phone based digital keys.

I had a Samsung S9+ which was a little quirky, and switched to the S10+ that works better. I bought both Samsung's "unlocked" versions directly from Samsung and then dropped in a Verizon sim card, it works great to both unlock the doors and start the car. You can screen mirror the phone screen to the iDrive display too, however that does require coding for Video in Motion, Android offers more options and better results in my experience. Enjoy your car, it's a blast to drive!
Thanks for the tip - works great! Samsung Note 9, v9; now just wish it integrated with Alexa and Amazon to play Amazon Music, but I heard an app is in the works.
Appreciate 0