Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVDA View Post
Hi to all,

Many thanks to all of you who are concerned about my 3 weeks old BMW X5 G05 45e in Phytonicblue ...

I also see a lot of support and people trying to understand the cause of all this.

The first person who saw the smoke and quickly after that the fire says it started around the right-back wheel.
As you can see in the pictures there was a strong wind from the back to the front of the car. Luckely, because otherwise their would be approx. 500 children to be evacuated.

Nobody did get hurt, but the biggest problem is the 3 older cars ... the owners (colleagues of my wife) need to look for an other car with little recovering from insurance.

Well, until today, there is NO information from BMW BELUX or my insurance. They are trying to meet to investigate what's left of the car.

BMW Assistance / BMW BELUX provided me with a new X5 30d the day after for at least 2 till 3 months. After that we'll see.

The dealer already ordered the same config for me to push BMW BELUX by inserting this order as fast as possible into production.

But first I need to convince my wife to order a new one. She doesn't trust the Hybrid/battery stuff, even we are not sure to what it is related.
Even the repalcement X5 30d is standing 50m from our garage/home.
Even not using the car now, having the pre-heat system, when the other is completely frozen :-(

To be continued ...

Greetz,
Filip

WhatsApp +32476847239
If it started around the back right wheel I would assume it's the battery located under the rear seat.
It's nice they provided you with a replacement 30D but will they also match the difference in VAA taxes because that alone is several 100's € a month (provided it is registered to your business)?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #113
FilipVDA
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 45e

The car was registerd in my business, but this one is a temporary solution, it wont be in the company ! For the moment I have only my Mercedes E300 Hybrid and a Ducati in the company.
For me, I'm testdriving a demo car from BMW :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #114
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Make your garage fire safe. Garage must have concrete or brick walls, fire resistant door for 90 minutes (conection to the residental building) and another room that separates from the building with smoke resistant door. Put automatic fire alarm in the garage with sprinkler sistem. All materials in garage must be fire proof (no wood, no plastic...). Then You can sleep worry free.
My house would still burn down after those 90 minutes so I prefer building either a car port or a stand-alone garage at the back of the house, disconnected from the house. That way I can sleep tight. If it burns down, at least no one will be close to it and it will be "safe".
90 minutes is enough for firefighters to reach any house. Concrete constructuon is safe for more than 90 minutes. Only fire safety mesures must be applied. You can not live in fear. Every car can burst into flames.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #115
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Make your garage fire safe. Garage must have concrete or brick walls, fire resistant door for 90 minutes (conection to the residental building) and another room that separates from the building with smoke resistant door. Put automatic fire alarm in the garage with sprinkler sistem. All materials in garage must be fire proof (no wood, no plastic...). Then You can sleep worry free.
My house would still burn down after those 90 minutes so I prefer building either a car port or a stand-alone garage at the back of the house, disconnected from the house. That way I can sleep tight. If it burns down, at least no one will be close to it and it will be "safe".
Quote:
Quote:
90 minutes is enough for firefighters to reach any house. Concrete constructuon is safe for more than 90 minutes. Only fire safety mesures must be applied. You can not live in fear. Every car can burst into flames.
Not every car fire is a lithium fire. The situation is not the the same and routine if batteries have ignited:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-volunteer...-fi-1819665352

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...es/3705023002/
      11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #116
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Hi to all,

Many thanks to all of you who are concerned about my 3 weeks old BMW X5 G05 45e in Phytonicblue ...

I also see a lot of support and people trying to understand the cause of all this.

The first person who saw the smoke and quickly after that the fire says it started around the right-back wheel.
As you can see in the pictures there was a strong wind from the back to the front of the car. Luckely, because otherwise their would be approx. 500 children to be evacuated.

Nobody did get hurt, but the biggest problem is the 3 older cars ... the owners (colleagues of my wife) need to look for an other car with little recovering from insurance.

Well, until today, there is NO information from BMW BELUX or my insurance. They are trying to meet to investigate what's left of the car.

BMW Assistance / BMW BELUX provided me with a new X5 30d the day after for at least 2 till 3 months. After that we'll see.

The dealer already ordered the same config for me to push BMW BELUX by inserting this order as fast as possible into production.

But first I need to convince my wife to order a new one. She doesn't trust the Hybrid/battery stuff, even we are not sure to what it is related.
Even not using the car now, having the pre-heat system, when the other is completely frozen :-(

To be continued ...

Greetz,
Filip

WhatsApp +32476847239
Filip, I got mine around the same time as yours (Oct 18). I was told by BMW that the fix (reconnecting ground wire) would solve the problem and that it was from the heating. They told me that my car was safe to use and to store indoors.

With what you're writing now, I am VERY concerned that it is a fire that originated in the battery compartment and that the heating is not the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #117
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, you are probably the best resource to give us some details on the cause, if they ever find out that is.

A pitty nobody managed to put out that smoke before the fire started. (who has a fire extinguisher in his backpocket or perfect reflexes in these kind of situations right?).

Glad to hear BMW BELUX is helping you out with a replacement car and trying to fix you a new order asap.

Also your wife's reaction is normal I think. I guess the fear needs the settle a bit and you have to think about chances on this happening. Compared with fires cause by electrical devices/charging cables in your home, like some people mentioned already.

I will just put a fire detector on the ceiling at my parking spot and be done with it. You can only take that many precautions to avoid some things from happening.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      11-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #118
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Hi to all,

To be continued ...

Greetz,
Filip

WhatsApp +32476847239
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think we all feel the pain of losing a brand new car. I can certainly understand your wife’s fear. Do you know if the ground cable issue was fixed on your car? In this case I would expect BMW to step up and keep you well informed. I hope you will share your story and they don’t let you sign any paper which prevents you from sharing your story.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #119
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think we all feel the pain of losing a brand new car. I can certainly understand your wife’s fear. Do you know if the ground cable issue was fixed on your car? In this case I would expect BMW to step up and keep you well informed. I hope you will share your story and they don’t let you sign any paper which prevents you from sharing your story.
I got the call from my dealer to replace the ground wire cable the day after the other X5 45e caught fire. We must have gotten our car around the same date (3rd week of October). I was told that it was not related to the fire incident but they wanted to have my car immediately...
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      11-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #120
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not every car fire is a lithium fire. The situation is not the the same and routine if batteries have ignited:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-volunteer...-fi-1819665352

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...es/3705023002/
Thanks. I know everything about Lithium fire and problems. But good protection helps not to spread fire on whole building

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #121
FilipVDA
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
I got the call from my dealer to replace the ground wire cable the day after the other X5 45e caught fire. We must have gotten our car around the same date (3rd week of October). I was told that it was not related to the fire incident but they wanted to have my car immediately...
This is the reason I don't trust BMW. My car was not listed to have the recall for the ground wire cable. A friend who had his 45e the day before me has also been to the dealer, without a recall, but anyway they checked the cabling.

I hope BMW will contact me asap to clear out, the bad news is already spread, now it's time to spread some good news !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #122
FilipVDA
Belgium
Rep

Photo's of before ....

Photo when delivered. Day 1 October 19th
Photos after putting on winter set. November 9th
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      11-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #123
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
looked great, awesome colour, sorry for your loss there
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #124
zacklee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 F15 UK

Quote:
Sorry for the loss, do keep us posted.

Is a lovely colour.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #125
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
This is the reason I don't trust BMW. My car was not listed to have the recall for the ground wire cable. A friend who had his 45e the day before me has also been to the dealer, without a recall, but anyway they checked the cabling.

I hope BMW will contact me asap to clear out, the bad news is already spread, now it's time to spread some good news !!!
I had cable recall after this fire broke out but BMW told me they were not sure what happened and they couldn't say that this would have been the cause - I believe I had at least one of the first 10 X5 45e in Belgium in terms of delivery timing. Up till that recall I hadn't use preheating yet. I do use it now and fancy it but my car is outside as a safety measure.

Was the car doing anything specific at all that you know about? Was it pre-heating or anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #126
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Filip, sorry this happened. My father is about to order is from a dealer in Flanders, and I gave him the heads up.

Question: is your X5 lowered in the photos where you have it on winters?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #127
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Filip, sorry this happened. My father is about to order is from a dealer in Flanders, and I gave him the heads up.

Question: is your X5 lowered in the photos where you have it on winters?
looks like standard lowering using air suspension - you can put car pretty low but only to load/unload really. Driving would raise it one level. You have five levels, default is the middle level. You can lower it one level while driving - sport mode automatically lowers it one level. The second level down is only possible when you stop the car. Same thing for up I suppose but I never really use up compared to middle point / default option because I don’t see the need to do that. I suppose it’s more for off-roading then in terms of use case.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      11-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #128
Floriankarch44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Is Individual mode Electric with suspension in Sport mode lower also the car automatically while driving ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #129
FilipVDA
Belgium
Rep

Indeed , lowered the car to take the picture, is not the default :-)

The car was scheduled to pre-heat in the morning at 7h50. Then my wife leaves at home brings the children to school and drives to the school where she teaches. That should be around 8h20. No charging, pre-heat should be stopped. Then at 11h20 people saw the fire and smoke, it was already to late. Fire fighters took only 8 minutes ...
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      11-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #130
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Hi to all,

To be continued ...

Greetz,
Filip

WhatsApp +32476847239
Sorry about the EV; shouldn't worry about a diesel in the garage though - less likely than even a petrol engine to spontaneously ignite, actually one of the advantages of diesel.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #131
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Hi to all,

To be continued ...

Greetz,
Filip

WhatsApp +32476847239
Your wife is wise indeed about her hybrid mistrust.

Shouldn't the insurance just pay you the total insured value of the car ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #132
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Hi to all,

Any update from BMW or your insurance?
Appreciate 0