BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Saturday Night Live

How is this show still on the air? I guess I'm getting old, because I don't find this show anywhere near as funny as it was back in the Belushi/Akroyd/Curtain/Chase/Morris/Radna days. Even Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were better. Tonight's first three segments were seriously lame. We turned it off 30 minutes into the show.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 11-17-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
shimmy232330.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Just got home and flipped the tube on and it was on nbc. I left it for about 5 min and see it’s that same unfunny drivel with really bad ‘comedians’ as usual.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

what I've been thinking, how does anyone watch SNL
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #4
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

It has its moments. I enjoy watching Alec Baldwin doing Trump who is probably one of the most talented actors of his generation. And Kate McKinnon can make anything into something funny to watch. The guy doing Putin is also very funny as well. But the rest is kind of meh...
Something telling they are not allowed to do things they really want to do. It's like there is a political guidelines they have to adhere to at the expense of creativity. I mean the black and white guys doing the update bits is sort of too obvious. Why not have two black guys? Or at least having two black guys once in awhile. That would be funny to watch. It's like SNL is a vehicle for some lordy guy to carry out his agenda.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #5
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
How is this show still on the air? I guess I'm getting old, because I don't find this show anywhere near as funny as it was back in the Belushi/Akroyd/Curtain/Chase/Morris/Radna days. Even Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were better. Tonight's first three segments were seriously lame. We turned it off 30 minutes into the show.
You are/as will I, forgetting a ton of great actors that have been on that show. Murphy, Prior, Farley, Spade, Sandler, Hammond, Brewer, Carvey, Fay, Poehler, Ferrel, Myers, Wiig, Hartman, Curtis, Crystal, Luvitz, Nealson, Meadows, Fallon, Meyers, Rock, Crystal, Sudeikis, Rudolph, Armison, Murray, Short, Miller, MacDonald and on and on.

Anyway, especially with McKinnon, Jones and Thompson, I think they are still very relevant and doing just fine. Guest stars, Damon, Baldwin and McCarthy are doing what SNL does best, skewering US politics etc in a funny relatable way.

They aren’t always funny, but the run and actors they’ve had on that show for decades is unreal.

Last edited by minn19; 11-17-2019 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Haven't watched that show in years since probably the Will Ferrell days......abd you knew it was doomed then.

God....all the talent that came across/got their start there.

One guy that we both felt that was made to be on there was Justin Timberlake. Funny, perfect timing. But that singing thing got in the way.
      11-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Weed and coke with a side of heroin really spark the creativity, will miss the comedy from the 70’s.
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
unluky7465.00
King Rudi13152.00
      11-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I remember Mr. Bill.....damn funny stuff. I'm old, that was then and now it just doesn't hold up. Not for my liking anyway.

Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
N54Yankee2706.00
      11-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

^ That made me laugh.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Chance the Rapper hockey skit a few years back was funny - redoing it for the video gaming playoffs was good as well.

That Kate McKinnon needs to go...she's not funny in any skit, or any movie she's been in. Her crying about Clinton losing was just painful to watch...and didn't need to be on SNL.

Keenan Thompson is funny...but since he's the only good one, they overplay him.
      11-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
It has its moments. I enjoy watching Alec Baldwin doing Trump who is probably one of the most talented actors of his generation. And Kate McKinnon can make anything into something funny to watch. The guy doing Putin is also very funny as well. But the rest is kind of meh...
Something telling they are not allowed to do things they really want to do. It's like there is a political guidelines they have to adhere to at the expense of creativity. I mean the black and white guys doing the update bits is sort of too obvious. Why not have two black guys? Or at least having two black guys once in awhile. That would be funny to watch. It's like SNL is a vehicle for some lordy guy to carry out his agenda.
Alec Baldwin one of the most talented actors of his generation? Now that is funnier than any snl skit.
Appreciate 8
Salty Dog3572.50
3798j11167.00
vreihen1614883.50
RickFLM410876.00
lakefront560.50
BM235iW97.00
unluky7465.00
      11-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Something to think about-

IMHO the Chappelle show is one of the funniest shows to ever hit TV... it didn't hold anything back and just about everyone loved it... It went on to become one of the top rated comedy central shows ever...this was about 13 years ago. It had every stereotype, racial insensitivity and held nothing back on politics.

This year, Chappelle released a special with a very similar formula and was attacked by every community in this country.... just about everyone was offended... and guess what? We allowed this to happen... freedom of speech no longer exists and if it does; certainly not in the way we used to know it... as far as SNL; its beyond terrible, I can't think of drier humor... but then again; you just have to logon to Instagram to see why this bullshit sells.
Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
Violator4587.50
Rmtt8206.00
unluky7465.00
      11-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Something to think about-

IMHO the Chappelle show is one of the funniest shows to ever hit TV... it didn't hold anything back and just about everyone loved it... It went on to become one of the top rated comedy central shows ever...this was about 13 years ago. It had every stereotype, racial insensitivity and held nothing back on politics.

This year, Chappelle released a special with a very similar formula and was attacked by every community in this country.... just about everyone was offended... and guess what? We allowed this to happen... freedom of speech no longer exists and if it does; certainly not in the way we used to know it... as far as SNL; its beyond terrible, I can't think of drier humor... but then again; you just have to logon to Instagram to see why this bullshit sells.
well said
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Haven't watched that show in years since probably the Will Ferrell days......abd you knew it was doomed then.

God....all the talent that came across/got their start there.

One guy that we both felt that was made to be on there was Justin Timberlake. Funny, perfect timing. But that singing thing got in the way.
My parents would never let me stay up late enough to watch it when it first came on the air in the mid '70s. So I faked going to sleep and snuck out of bet and watched it with headphones, with the brightness turned way down so they wouldn't wake up and bust me.
wrickem2101.00
      11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
what I've been thinking, how does anyone watch SNL
TiVo is the only way that me and my 20-minute attention span can watch SNL. Being able to fast-forward through the filler crap to find the 15 minutes of watchable skits makes it bearable. (I just finished watching last night's recorded episode a few minutes ago.)

I did like the "does diabetes count?" Chinese iPhone factory workers skit from a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJ353epH3o

11-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
TiVo is the only way that me and my 20-minute attention span can watch SNL. Being able to fast-forward through the filler crap to find the 15 minutes of watchable skits makes it bearable. (I just finished watching last night's recorded episode a few minutes ago.)

I did like the "does diabetes count?" Chinese iPhone factory workers skit from a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJ353epH3o

That was great !!!

This is good also
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #17
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Alec Baldwin one of the most talented actors of his generation? Now that is funnier than any snl skit.
OK, name a few that better than him? We then compare. How's that.
You probably had Tom Cruise in mind?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
OK, name a few that better than him? We then compare. How's that.
You probably had Tom Cruise in mind?
I think it would be a fairly good list but perhaps start with Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis and Denzel Washington off the top of my head if we are talking ballpark ages and focusing just on actors not actresses.
unluky7465.00
      11-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #19
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I think it would be a fairly good list but perhaps start with Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis and Denzel Washington off the top of my head if we are talking ballpark ages and focusing just on actors not actresses.
I would add those names to the list with Alec Baldwin as one of the best. Tom Hanks probably would be on top or close to the top. Most people are somehow impressed with over-wrought dramatic acting and equate that as "talent".

Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't quite have the range of Alec Baldwin (Have you seen Glengarry Glen Ross?). Other than My Left Foot, there's not much I want to see. He seems to be doing artsy movies over and over again. I would put DDL in the same category as DiCaprio who seem to be stuck playing the same type of character without much variations. Again, Denzel Washington is a good actor but does not have the same range as Alec Baldwin. It's very difficult to play both dramatic roles and comedic roles. Of those name you mentioned, only Alec Baldwin and Tom Hanks can do that effortlessly.

The problem with Alec Baldwin is he has a bad boy image and difficult to work with so he usually does not have the same opportunities as others more politically correct actors. To be honest, one of the reason I watch SNL cold open is because of Baldwin doing Trump and Kate McKinnon.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I would add those names to the list with Alec Baldwin as one of the best. Tom Hanks probably would be on top or close to the top. Most people are somehow impressed with over-wrought dramatic acting and equate that as "talent".

Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't quite have the range of Alec Baldwin (Have you seen Glengarry Glen Ross?). Other than My Left Foot, there's not much I want to see. He seems to be doing artsy movies over and over again. I would put DDL in the same category as DiCaprio who seem to be stuck playing the same type of character without much variations. Again, Denzel Washington is a good actor but does not have the same range as Alec Baldwin. It's very difficult to play both dramatic roles and comedic roles. Of those name you mentioned, only Alec Baldwin and Tom Hanks can do that effortlessly.

The problem with Alec Baldwin is he has a bad boy image and difficult to work with so he usually does not have the same opportunities as others more politically correct actors. To be honest, one of the reason I watch SNL cold open is because of Baldwin doing Trump and Kate McKinnon.
I don’t really see Baldwin as someone with great range, as I don’t really consider comedy as comparable to dramatic acting. There are many actors who never take on comedic roles and I wouldn’t consider Baldwin a better actor just because he has been in sitcoms and SNL. I think he has spent much of his career playing the role of an asshole, often in supporting roles. Sometimes comedic, sometimes not, as in Glengarry Glen Ross. To me, I expected his career to go a lot differently after Hunt for a Red October than it actually did.
Mirko182.00
      11-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It's been varying degrees of lame for the last 30 years, since the Murphy/Piscopo/Short years. The writing just isn't there. The material is just flat-out not funny.
      11-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #22
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
...Baldwin doing Trump and Kate McKinnon.
Pictures or it didn't happen!!!!!