BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

iDrive 7.1 on 45e

Can anybody who took possession of their 45e confirm it comes with iDrive 7.1? I forgot to order the drive camera and it’s now possible to buy a feature such as that through connected drive in combination with iDrive7.1 and have it enabled OTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2REP View Post
Can anybody who took possession of their 45e confirm it comes with iDrive 7.1? I forgot to order the drive camera and it’s now possible to buy a feature such as that through connected drive in combination with iDrive7.1 and have it enabled OTA.
Is your car in production yet? You can change your configuration up till 2-3 weeks before it goes into production.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

iDrive 7.1? Have i missed something?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
Is your car in production yet? You can change your configuration up till 2-3 weeks before it goes into production.
Yes. Config is locked. Finally
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
According to this review it's the first one with 7.1.. and the additional functionality it offers.

The link points directly to where he starts talks about the 7.1 version. It would allow to buy ACC or Drive camera and other functionality OTA afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Car must have surround cameras or you won't be able to purchase drive recorder through the Connected Drive store (whenever they make that available).
      11-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
According to this review it's the first one with 7.1.. and the additional functionality it offers.

The link points directly to where he starts talks about the 7.1 version. It would allow to buy ACC or Drive camera and other functionality OTA afterwards.
Is that specific to the 45e? I went to the BMW Belgium site and it still mentioned 7.0...my guess is he either made a mistake, it is not going to be in the US, or it is some new version that lets you buy features à la carte. Either way, it should be interesting! I think everyone, especially people with the 2019 models, are looking forward to the assisted driving plus and driver recorder...even if it is (and will be) an additional fee.

You'll have to keep us posted. Also, any way to see if it is an option to buy on your ordering site? Just looking at the pictures, I am jealous of the options and flexibility they give our European friends!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Yeah they may have "given up" on 7.0 so have decided to start fresh with 7.1 !
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Yeah they may have "given up" on 7.0 so have decided to start fresh with 7.1 !
Ok here’s a theory...call me crazy, but what if the next big update is for the 7.0 people to 7.1 and they just charge us for everything lol.

If they release 7.1 and there’s no way for us 7.0 people to update even going to the dealer...mark my words...I’m torching my X5! But seriously, I would be livid if that was something they did. I already have a feeling the iPhone as a key will require ultra wide band. Apple will play it off as privacy/security. Guess what? No iPhone 11 or 11 Pro. Not gonna work.

It’s all a big conspiracy. When you just look at the concept of paid subscriptions, it seems like everyone is going there. Hell, the subscriptions are Apple’s big money maker. Look at adobe, Microsoft office, etc. The car industry is going to follow suit. We will all complain, but at the end of the day, we will fork over the money to activate what’s already in the car. It’s just crazy to think about the big picture of it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
...call me crazy
Your crazy

Seriously though, hoping this capability makes it to earlier model years.

Could it to be in 11/2019.x which is no doubt what the 45e will be running with a build version to match?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Is that specific to the 45e? I went to the BMW Belgium site and it still mentioned 7.0...my guess is he either made a mistake, it is not going to be in the US, or it is some new version that lets you buy features à la carte. Either way, it should be interesting! I think everyone, especially people with the 2019 models, are looking forward to the assisted driving plus and driver recorder...even if it is (and will be) an additional fee.

You'll have to keep us posted. Also, any way to see if it is an option to buy on your ordering site? Just looking at the pictures, I am jealous of the options and flexibility they give our European friends!
For the moment they only released it to the X5 45e. And it does indeed let you buy features a la carte. Of course the required hardware needs to be present in the car for it to work.

I dug around some German forums and they say it should come to 7.0 owners but the upgrade will have to be done at the dealer. I haven't been able to find a date but I'm betting that it'll come as soon as BMW is done testing it in the 45e
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Your crazy

Seriously though, hoping this capability makes it to earlier model years.

Could it to be in 11/2019.x which is no doubt what the 45e will be running with a build version to match?

It could be! I think it would be dumb to already make 7.0 “outdated” this quick. Given all the competition when it comes to technology features, I think that’ll be what lures a good segment of people in. Honestly, what makes the whole thing funny is that these new features might be used 5% of the time in my day to day driving, but I love to have the newest software. Who knows, 11/2019 could end up being like the rest. Be as it’s getting to be the end of the year, you would hope some sort of major feature is introduced. Even if the rest of the year is just little fixes and tune ups.

In the end, it’s the evil you know versus the evil you don’t...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
New theory: that 45e fire was BMW trying to cover up the existence of iDrive 7.1. It fits. But the truth is out there now ...
      11-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Got mine a month ago. iDrive 7.1

Buying the Drive Recorder option afterwards was for me more expensive than buying as an option with the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
Got mine a month ago. iDrive 7.1

Buying the Drive Recorder option afterwards was for me more expensive than buying as an option with the car.
The drive recorder installation is possible after delivery? It's an option of 210 euro. How much does it cost afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
The drive recorder installation is possible after delivery? It's an option of 210 euro. How much does it cost afterwards?
On the store from connecteddrive : 55 euro / Year
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Drive recording limited to 20 seconds only. Switching to manual mode is a pain. For example if you want to catch an incident that involves you but was not automatically triggered then you need to go to X screens and confirmations before it starts recording. It should have a record now button, potentially triggered also remotely from the mobile app.

Valet mode is another flawed (incomplete design). Have been able to try it a couple of times. The key card concept is great. But the key missing feature is that I want to be able to track where my car has been while it was in valet mode. Not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
On the store from connecteddrive : 55 euro / Year
What's the 210 euro for the drive recorder if you order the car? Subscription for 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

it will be interesting to see how it plays out in each market, even if BMW does the same thing across the board. The drive recording is awesome, just because of the integration. however, with a 20GB HD on-board, it would be nice to have some choice as to how much we want to record. it sounds like an aftermarket dash cam is the better option, but not as sleek. I don't know how involved it is to run wiring inside the headliner, or even down the a-pillar, but does that pose any risk with the airbag? Also, I agree with you on the key card. I just wish there was more consistency. I can sit there for 5 seconds or 5 minutes trying to get it to work.

honestly, in a perfect world (at least mine), BMW would allow more features to be purchased or subscribed to as they are introduced. there's probably more money in subscriptions/services for them than cranking out the vehicles. I could be completely wrong. I would be more likely to hold onto a vehicle for a longer period if it wasn't outdated after a year in regards to tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Drive recording limited to 20 seconds only. Switching to manual mode is a pain. For example if you want to catch an incident that involves you but was not automatically triggered then you need to go to X screens and confirmations before it starts recording. It should have a record now button, potentially triggered also remotely from the mobile app.

Valet mode is another flawed (incomplete design). Have been able to try it a couple of times. The key card concept is great. But the key missing feature is that I want to be able to track where my car has been while it was in valet mode. Not rocket science.
Salesrep didn't advise the drive recorder option. He said get a Blackvue
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Could you program it to be started from the shortcut buttons? That was my plan.
Appreciate 1
2REP20.50
      11-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
it will be interesting to see how it plays out in each market, even if BMW does the same thing across the board. The drive recording is awesome, just because of the integration. however, with a 20GB HD on-board, it would be nice to have some choice as to how much we want to record. it sounds like an aftermarket dash cam is the better option, but not as sleek. I don't know how involved it is to run wiring inside the headliner, or even down the a-pillar, but does that pose any risk with the airbag? Also, I agree with you on the key card. I just wish there was more consistency. I can sit there for 5 seconds or 5 minutes trying to get it to work.

honestly, in a perfect world (at least mine), BMW would allow more features to be purchased or subscribed to as they are introduced. there's probably more money in subscriptions/services for them than cranking out the vehicles. I could be completely wrong. I would be more likely to hold onto a vehicle for a longer period if it wasn't outdated after a year in regards to tech.
iDrive 7.1 is first firmware with OTA updates so hopefully BMW will now follow the route of periodic updates / upgrades. I think you're right: BMW wants to have RR on cars beyond maintenance and software / services is the way to it. And yes they will bring out new features. I can only suspect that the key requirement to enable that is the OTA firmware upgrade so that they can push updates. If updates are done by dealer or by driver then they miss out on fact to only minority will upgrade.

The Drive Recorder option is not time limited for me - I ordered it as an option with the car for 210 EUR.

Timing of recording can be set to a maximum of 20s with all 4 cameras. With 20GB HDD (where did they find such a small hard drive?) it should not be hard to increase that.
Appreciate 0