BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
Jacob99
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45E, Toyota Highlander

Phone Charger recommendations

Hi everyone, I have almost every available package on my X5 but I didn’t get wireless charging mainly because I read on here that it isn’t great, gets hot, etc. So I have this USB-C 48w mini charger that I bought on Amazon. I got 2 of them and it works great in my wife’s Highlander but not great in my car. I have it plugged in in the front near the cup holders and I have a USB-C to Lightining cable to connect to my IPhone. It sucks! Doesn’t really charge my phone. Just sort’ve prevents it from dying further (similar to what I read about wireless charging). The reason I got the mini adapter is I can leave it plugged in and it still allows me to close the cup holder compartment door. At this point I don’t care about the size, I just want something that’ll fast charge. I assume I’m not getting anywhere near the 48w but I’m looking for recommendations on what I can get or maybe I should be plugging it into the plug in the arm rest console? Is there more power in there? I’m on the phone a lot and use CarPlay so I need something that’ll charge. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:49 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob99 View Post
Hi everyone, I have almost every available package on my X5 but I didn’t get wireless charging mainly because I read on here that it isn’t great, gets hot, etc. So I have this USB-C 48w mini charger that I bought on Amazon. I got 2 of them and it works great in my wife’s Highlander but not great in my car. I have it plugged in in the front near the cup holders and I have a USB-C to Lightining cable to connect to my IPhone. It sucks! Doesn’t really charge my phone. Just sort’ve prevents it from dying further (similar to what I read about wireless charging). The reason I got the mini adapter is I can leave it plugged in and it still allows me to close the cup holder compartment door. At this point I don’t care about the size, I just want something that’ll fast charge. I assume I’m not getting anywhere near the 48w but I’m looking for recommendations on what I can get or maybe I should be plugging it into the plug in the arm rest console? Is there more power in there? I’m on the phone a lot and use CarPlay so I need something that’ll charge. Thank you!
i have a 36W mini charger with USB A and USB C ports (pictured). a dash cam is plugged into the USB A, and a MagSafe charger is plugged into the USB C. with both running, I’m still getting enough juice to supply the full 15W of MagSafe charging power. (I get the circular charging meter, not the battery meter.)

how can you be plugged in directly via USB C to lightning port but it barely maintains a charge? with 48W available, that doesn’t make sense if it’s connected properly (fully seated inside the socket). there’s known issue with 12V adapters not fully seating inside the front socket. does your mini charger have a status light to indicate if it’s getting power? it may be inside the socket but may not actually be powered, or it’s just getting intermittent power.

link to your mini charger?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      09-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i have a 36W mini charger with USB A and USB C ports (pictured). a dash cam is plugged into the USB A, and a MagSafe charger is plugged into the USB C. with both running, I’m still getting enough juice to supply the full 15W of MagSafe charging power. (I get the circular charging meter, not the battery meter.)

how can you be plugged in directly via USB C to lightning port but it barely maintains a charge? with 48W available, that doesn’t make sense if it’s connected properly (fully seated inside the socket). there’s known issue with 12V adapters not fully seating inside the front socket. does your mini charger have a status light to indicate if it’s getting power? it may be inside the socket but may not actually be powered, or it’s just getting intermittent power.

We have the exact same setup. Proclip type of clip onto HVAC vent frame. Ball swivel, and magsafe magnetic charger.
nZtiZia4652.00
      09-20-2023, 07:24 PM   #4
Jacob99
Private
Rep

Quote:

No idea. Here is a link to my charger. I plug the USB-C cord to the port that says PD and the lightning end into my phone.

https://a.co/d/gM34MuB

Side note, how is that vent mount? I’d like one but know the BMW vents are flimsy so I didn’t want to break it.

Also my X5 is the 45e. Could I be getting less charging power when it’s using electric? I typically keep it in Hybrid mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No idea. Here is a link to my charger. I plug the USB-C cord to the port that says PD and the lightning end into my phone.

https://a.co/d/gM34MuB

Side note, how is that vent mount? I’d like one but know the BMW vents are flimsy so I didn’t want to break it.

Also my X5 is the 45e. Could I be getting less charging power when it’s using electric? I typically keep it in Hybrid mode.
I have the same brand mini charger since Mar 2021 (36W version, though). maybe yours is defective?

the ProClip mount doesn’t attach to the vent fins at all, but rather above and below them.

I mainly drive Electric in my 45e. no issues with power from the 12V adapter in the socket.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #6
Jacob99
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have the same brand mini charger since May 2021 (38W version, though). maybe yours is defective?

the ProClip mount doesn’t attach to the vent fins at all, but rather above and below them.

I mainly drive Electric in my 45e. no issues with power from the 12V adapter in the socket.
Thanks for the quick replies.

I forgot to answer your other question about if the battery charge indicator is on. It is. Maybe it is defective. I’m going to steal my wife’s and try to troubleshoot it lol.

Could you send a link to that ProClip mount? I’d like to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 07:39 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies.

I forgot to answer your other question about if the battery charge indicator is on. It is. Maybe it is defective. I’m going to steal my wife’s and try to troubleshoot it lol.

Could you send a link to that ProClip mount? I’d like to check it out.
with ProClip, you have to buy two components (base + holder). here’s the link to the base
https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...w-x7-2019-20xx

I attached a 15° wedge (not pictured) then a Garwin ball joint mount to my base then a MagSafe charger. your holder of choice may be different

can also check out A-Tach
Appreciate 0