BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
JCaliX6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550ix

2022 X6M50i

2022 X6 M50i (US) order sheets should be out soon. This will be my 3rd X6. It will be my wife's primary car. I drive a large SUV for business purposes. But then on weekends love to have a little fun in the X6. My build will be loaded with almost every option except Bowers and Wilkins sound. This time around we are looking at going with the 22in wheels. My question to the family here is "how much is the elevated risk of the 22inch wheels"? Real world. Not hypothetical. What have X5/X6 owners really experienced. I have been through the pain of putting my a nail in the sidewall (unrepairable) on My 2019 and having to replace all 4 tires due to the loss of one tire, or sucks. But as for wheel damage? We take it easy in city streets and we don't pick up speed unless we are on good open freeway. Again I don't want to hear what could happen, I want examples.
      05-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

Maybe consider buying the wheels and tire protections plan with the 22's? I bought it with my Range Rover on 21 inch wheels but never had to use it, but the Rover does have a very nice air suspension system and alleviates the concern somewhat.

On a somewhat related note I will likely order X6 M50i instead of the X6M because only M50i has the 20" wheel option with all season tires it will be a daily driver and we will need the all season tires in the NYC winter. Call me lazy but I also don't like to stock a second set of winter tile/wheels and have to switch them twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
Maybe consider buying the wheels and tire protections plan with the 22's? I bought it with my Range Rover on 21 inch wheels but never had to use it, but the Rover does have a very nice air suspension system and alleviates the concern somewhat.

On a somewhat related note I will likely order X6 M50i instead of the X6M because only M50i has the 20" wheel option with all season tires it will be a daily driver and we will need the all season tires in the NYC winter. Call me lazy but I also don't like to stock a second set of winter tile/wheels and have to switch them twice a year.
I'm also in the NY/NJ area for now and struggled with the tire/wheel decision. I like run flats for what they stand for, but thats it. If I wanted no run flats, I had to opt for the 22's. Also not a fan of Continental tires, but not much option there from the factory. So, I got the tire coverage at a decent price and I'm always dodging those potholes and avoiding any debris whatsoever. Sorry, no real world experience beyond the three weeks I've had the X5 M50i. So far everything is intact and I hope to never have any rough stories.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Go for 22's and put some A/S tires on and get the best of both worlds that's what I'll be doing with my 2022 build anyway
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
JCaliX6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550ix

Live in Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post

I'm also in the NY/NJ area for now and struggled with the tire/wheel decision. I like run flats for what they stand for, but thats it. If I wanted no run flats, I had to opt for the 22's. Also not a fan of Continental tires, but not much option there from the factory. So, I got the tire coverage at a decent price and I'm always dodging those potholes and avoiding any debris whatsoever. Sorry, no real world experience beyond the three weeks I've had the X5 M50i. So far everything is intact and I hope to never have any rough stories.
I live in Central California, no rain or snow here. Also wheel a tire protection is a cash cow for the dealerships. Too many stipulations doesn't cover cosmetic damage. You have to crack a wheel for it to kick in. I had it with my 20 inch wheels needed it once and was told my issues where "excluded" end I had to pay out of pocket.