BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
MustGoFast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 M50i

PCD Review - 4/22/21

Summary: It's fun you should do it, great way to take a car vacation and get some quality time with your new wheels and someone special.

Details - I'm going to try to do this via itinerary. Oh and I bought a Carbon Black X5 M50i

Wed - Flight In
GSP Airport is clean, easy enough to get to and small enough that it's easy to get out of. Very short wait for the hotel shuttle (loaded X5) and 10ish min to get there. Greenville is nearby and a good place to relax and wander around, I recommend the Swamp Rabbit Trail - Pic Below
Wed - Dinner & Hotel
The hotel is "fine" but could use some modernization or a move to a newer one closer to something. The service here is very good and I was again pretty happy with my dinner especially for "hotel food". I had the rabbit 2 ways.
Thurs - PCD
A quick shuttle ride over and into the classroom you go for your morning briefing. I've met several instructors here and all are top notch, my wife was super impressed that we had a female instructor in our group this time (Laura). After that out to the track for a little fun. My biggest complaint is that we don't get to spend all day or just a bunch more time on the track itself, but I guess they like to save that for the M-Schools. You get into small groups 3 cars each and go to different segments of the track to do braking tests, slalom and cornering (more track day light), and finally a skid wet skid pad to demo the stability control systems.
This was the highlight of my day! My wife went first and I was riding in the back recording her spinning the 340i you use for this part of the day. After enabling the traction systems she floored it but never let off and took us over a cone and WAAAAAY down into the grass. Why WAS I NOT RECORDING THAT PART! I honestly haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I got my chance after that and had a blast engaging multiple spins and doing my best to drive out of them on throttle wheels still spinning - might not be how they instruct it but it's fun.
Next up is a spin in the back of an M5 driven by one of the Pros at high speed around the track wheels spinning mostly drifting.
It's loud, it's fun, it's over too quickly.
Next up was the factory tour. It's well done, but honestly not nearly as deep and interesting as the one I got in Munich in the past. If you're looking for gift shop items get them here as there's more selection at the factory store than the PC.
Before lunch we take some X5s onto the off road course. This is a really cool chance to see how they build for the worst. You take on hills that require you to use the front camera to see forward as you're looking at the sky, drive through a tight little river of deep water, and tip the car sideways to about 26degrees (according to the offroad menu in idrive) which doesn't look that bad from behind but feels like you're going to tip over in the passenger seat. One of my favorites is the 2 wheel teeter where only your front left and back right wheel are on the ground and if you can manage throttle and brakes well enough you can balance to the point where your body can rock the car or modulating the pedals decides which 3rd wheel comes down.
Lunch Break - Lunch was fine, not memorably, but a good chance to make some new friends or pick the brains of some of the instructors.
Last Step (Finally) - Delivery. I spent about an hour with Donnie who was fantastic crawling through all the new features and settings to get things at least initiated. My wife appreciated that I wasn't doing that during our road trip but found this part pretty boring.
Thurs, Fri, Sat - Road Trip
I wont get into the details here, but a drive north through the mountains and into the Blue Ridge Parkway especially when you catch nice weather is a great way to spend the rest of your delivery day.
From there we continued up through Louisville and took a break there to see some sites and relax before continuing home to WI
I think that was longer than I intended so here's a picture from each section to color this up!
Attached Images

Last edited by MustGoFast; 04-28-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Thanks for the write-up, sounds like it was a great trip.
      04-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
MustGoFast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Thanks for the write-up, sounds like it was a great trip.
Had a blast. My 2nd PCD (also did 3 Euro Deliveries and am hoping they bring that back for my next car).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Nice write up, I'm doing PCD on May 14th. This will be my first time, really looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

How long after production was completed until you got a PCD slot? I am thinking about doing this but don't want a big delay as I need to be in the new car yesterday!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
How long after production was completed until you got a PCD slot? I am thinking about doing this but don't want a big delay as I need to be in the new car yesterday!
I didn't have a huge delay. Ordered in late March, car completed a couple days ago, and I do PCD on May 14th.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast View Post
Had a blast. My 2nd PCD (also did 3 Euro Deliveries and am hoping they bring that back for my next car).
Nice write up, sounds like you had a good time!

We’re in the final pack & prep stage. Flying out on Mon 3 May. PCD on the 4th May. 3 week road trip back to AZ via Blue Ridge Parkway, visit my brother in IN, on to Deadwood/Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Denver & Durango, last stop Sedona. Locked, Loaded, & Ready to Roll!

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
MustGoFast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Nice write up, sounds like you had a good time!

We’re in the final pack & prep stage. Flying out on Mon 3 May. PCD on the 4th May. 3 week road trip back to AZ via Blue Ridge Parkway, visit my brother in IN, on to Deadwood/Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Denver & Durango, last stop Sedona. Locked, Loaded, & Ready to Roll!
Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy yourself
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Well done, glad you had a great time, and appreciate you sharing!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
madlaw1071
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 X6 xdrive M40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
Nice write up, I'm doing PCD on May 14th. This will be my first time, really looking forward to it!
May 10th for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Glad you made it out alive from the off road part.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
MustGoFast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Glad you made it out alive from the off road part.
It's such a fun experience... I did find the ground a bit "too close" to the passenger window when my wife was driving.. not sure the angle was the issue coulda just been the driver
Appreciate 0