BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2021, 05:23 AM   #1
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Trading in with an extra set of wheels/tires

I will be trading in my 2014 535 when my X5 is completed and delivered. Wondering what folks usually do when they have an extra set of rims with snow tires? I am debating throwing them in the trunk when I drop off my trade, or keeping them and trying to sell them. I have no idea how much of a demand there is out there for these things and I don't want them taking up space in my garage... FWIW, there is no explicit expectation (I think) on the dealers part that I include these when I drop off my trade. I already checked and was told these would not fit my X5....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

You’re probably better off selling them yourselves. The dealer isn’t going to want to store and deal with 4 extra tires and likely won’t give you anything for them.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
You’re probably better off selling them yourselves. The dealer isn’t going to want to store and deal with 4 extra tires and likely won’t give you anything for them.
Yeah - they are not giving me anything for them. I have the winter tires on it now and wanted to avoid paying to have them swapped before I trade, but, I will probably do just that and try to sell the old rims and tires. Worst case, they go to the dump....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Check the 5 series classified forum and see what the going price is for the style. If its worth the money then sell them on your own through the forum, its a pain to ship rims/wheels and expensive but the dealer will give you nothing. Even a fire sale price is better than nothing that the dealer will give you and you can help out a forum member. Often the dealers will toss in the extra set on the resale of the car without an upcharge. I been lucky and through connections have bought 3 used cars with extra sets of rims.
      04-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Check the 5 series classified forum and see what the going price is for the style. If its worth the money then sell them on your own through the forum, its a pain to ship rims/wheels and expensive but the dealer will give you nothing. Even a fire sale price is better than nothing that the dealer will give you and you can help out a forum member. Often the dealers will toss in the extra set on the resale of the car without an upcharge. I been lucky and through connections have bought 3 used cars with extra sets of rims.
Good idea. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

If you think the dealer will sell your car locally (vs. wholesale it or sell it out-of-state), another approach is to have the dealer put you in touch with the buyer post-sale. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and have done that once or twice with my second/winter set of tires and rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
I will be trading in my 2014 535 when my X5 is completed and delivered. Wondering what folks usually do when they have an extra set of rims with snow tires? I am debating throwing them in the trunk when I drop off my trade, or keeping them and trying to sell them. I have no idea how much of a demand there is out there for these things and I don't want them taking up space in my garage... FWIW, there is no explicit expectation (I think) on the dealers part that I include these when I drop off my trade. I already checked and was told these would not fit my X5....
Carmax it.
And separately sell the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #8
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Carmax it.
And separately sell the wheels.
I did a quote on carmax and some other site (i forget the name of it) both came in under what the dealer is giving me. I think they gave me a bit more on my trade perhaps to make up for the crappy discount off msrp but who knows.... I don't like haggling and wish I had done my homework before buying. I know I could have done better but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I just want the damn car already! I keep adding options due to the time to get this into production and reading everything on this forum. I went from a 40i, to a base M50i, then added DHP, DAPP, Parking assist and just today added the exec package. The only thing I could possibly add to it now is the b&W sound but I'm not doing that as I usually listen to talk radio in the car....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
I did a quote on carmax and some other site (i forget the name of it) both came in under what the dealer is giving me. I think they gave me a bit more on my trade perhaps to make up for the crappy discount off msrp but who knows.... I don't like haggling and wish I had done my homework before buying. I know I could have done better but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I just want the damn car already! I keep adding options due to the time to get this into production and reading everything on this forum. I went from a 40i, to a base M50i, then added DHP, DAPP, Parking assist and just today added the exec package. The only thing I could possibly add to it now is the b&W sound but I'm not doing that as I usually listen to talk radio in the car....
You'll love the M50i!! Smart move. DHP is found on so few cars, but a nice feature to have, worth it in my opinion.
If you didn't upgrade your wheels add on the space saver spare for $150 I think its a no brainer.
      04-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
You'll love the M50i!! Smart move. DHP is found on so few cars, but a nice feature to have, worth it in my opinion.
If you didn't upgrade your wheels add on the space saver spare for $150 I think its a no brainer.
Yes I got the 22 inch non run flats so it comes with a spare. I need to find a good winter tire set-up after I get it and before the flakes start falling later in the year....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
That's me. I used to haggle and yell and scream at the dealership to get a deal. Now I don't haggle, too much of a pita. I always place special orders on any car i buy and just pay whatever Less stress and I am much happier lol
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Sell them on your own. I’ve always done it that way for all the tire/wheel sets I’ve had on several BMWs. You’ll not get even half the price you paid but at least you get something back.
      04-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #13
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Sell them on your own. I’ve always done it that way for all the tire/wheel sets I’ve had on several BMWs. You’ll not get even half the price you paid but at least you get something back.
Thanks. That's my plan at this point. I may also see if they fit my daughter's Tiguan....
Appreciate 0