BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
General order inquiries--a lot of them :)

So some background info:
I have just arrived in the States and planned to get a car--basically settled on an X5M50i, and since I am an alien with no previous living experience in the US, I believe im not qualified for every incentive, and I have to purchase the car. Plus I live in Indiana, from my research it seems that Midwest dealers are not willing to give discounts nor willing to work with a broker.

My questions would be:
1. Will the broker allow me to get a car from them even if I am not leasing/financing? It seems that every deal that has been discussed is leased/financed.

2. Will purchasing the car change the scope of the deal? (will purchasing made dealer offer more or less?) I heard somewhere that BMW favored lease/finance...

3. If I get my car through an out-of-state dealer, do I first pay the dealership for the car, then go to local BMV to pay my tax?

4. How is the tax calculated? For example, if MSRP for my X5 is 90k, and I have 5% off msrp, are the taxes calculated based on my msrp or the 5% discounted price? (Not discussing incentives here)

5. (off-topic) As I stated, I live in Indiana and seemed to get really cold in winter, meanwhile I am focusing on the 742M 22'' wheel. Will it be a pain both for me and my wallet to find winter tires for them?

I think that's all the questions I have in my mind right now, I will update if there is something new.

Again sorry for the long post, possible grammar mistakes, and somewhat silly questions for this is the first time for me to actually live and purchase a car in the US--and English is also not my first language. At this moment I lean toward paying a broker and have the car shipped to me(doubting that I could find the same deal, a nyc broker listed 7.25% discount), but I am willing to change my opinion if there are any suggestions towards Midwest dealers. Thanks for the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the US and the forum. I have embedded some thoughts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureholds View Post
So some background info:
I have just arrived in the States and planned to get a car--basically settled on an X5M50i, and since I am an alien with no previous living experience in the US, I believe im not qualified for every incentive, and I have to purchase the car. Plus I live in Indiana, from my research it seems that Midwest dealers are not willing to give discounts nor willing to work with a broker.

Neither of those are accurate, they will both discount and work with brokers. Obviously with the current situation the discounts are lower than usual.

My questions would be:
1. Will the broker allow me to get a car from them even if I am not leasing/financing? It seems that every deal that has been discussed is leased/financed.

Yes, they don't care how it is paid for.

2. Will purchasing the car change the scope of the deal? (will purchasing made dealer offer more or less?) I heard somewhere that BMW favored lease/finance...

No. Whether you lease or finance the dealer gets paid for the vehicle.

3. If I get my car through an out-of-state dealer, do I first pay the dealership for the car, then go to local BMV to pay my tax?

You will have to check with your state and it also may depend on where you purchase it. Some states have tax reciprocity and some collect the other's sales tax and pass it along.

4. How is the tax calculated? For example, if MSRP for my X5 is 90k, and I have 5% off msrp, are the taxes calculated based on my msrp or the 5% discounted price? (Not discussing incentives here)

It is on the sales price.

5. (off-topic) As I stated, I live in Indiana and seemed to get really cold in winter, meanwhile I am focusing on the 742M 22'' wheel. Will it be a pain both for me and my wallet to find winter tires for them?

In my opinion yes it will be but that doesn't mean it is not worth it if that is what you want to do. You will want to buy a new set of wheels and winter tires.

I think that's all the questions I have in my mind right now, I will update if there is something new.

Again sorry for the long post, possible grammar mistakes, and somewhat silly questions for this is the first time for me to actually live and purchase a car in the US--and English is also not my first language. At this moment I lean toward paying a broker and have the car shipped to me(doubting that I could find the same deal, a nyc broker listed 7.25% discount), but I am willing to change my opinion if there are any suggestions towards Midwest dealers. Thanks for the help in advance!
      08-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

About #3 - Indiana has a tax reciprocity agreement with several states (can't seem to find a full list). I've purchased cars in Illinois and Ohio and they collect the appropriate amount of tax just as if you would in state. The Illinois dealer even handled my plates for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
4. How is the tax calculated? For example, if MSRP for my X5 is 90k, and I have 5% off msrp, are the taxes calculated based on my msrp or the 5% discounted price?
It's discounted price + taxable fees. So if the car is $90k, your agreed upon price is $50k, and there are $500 in taxable fees the sales tax will be based on $50,500.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome to the US and the forum. I have embedded some thoughts below.
Thanks for those insights and they really clarified my doubts. Part of the reason for me to choose BMW is this community. I'm already looking forward to the car even I haven't got a US license
Appreciate 0