BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
Justgothere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e

2 random questions

1. On the My BMW app, when the electric car is finished charging, there is an option that says “unlock charging cable.” What does this actually do? We’re looking for a way for all electricity to stop, without having to go unplug it. Would this option be for that?
2. What product is a good option to protect the leather seats from the baby car seat? Just any Amazon seat cover or is there a good one for the X5?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
KT_OH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgothere View Post
1. On the My BMW app, when the electric car is finished charging, there is an option that says “unlock charging cable.” What does this actually do? We’re looking for a way for all electricity to stop, without having to go unplug it. Would this option be for that?
2. What product is a good option to protect the leather seats from the baby car seat? Just any Amazon seat cover or is there a good one for the X5?
On 1) electricy stops when fully charged. The unlock is if you have cable attached and car locked. If set in iDrive, the cable will also be locked. If you wanted, you could unlock cable remotely and I believe doors would remain locked. Really only applies or is needed if you’re using public chargers.

No car seats in mine so will let others chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:49 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgothere View Post
i've spend $$ on brand name before but not necessary. any seat cover will do that is thick enough and disperses the weight of pressure points from digging into the leather
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:35 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

When the vehicle is locked, the charging cable cannot be removed normally. In some markets, the charging cable is not tethered to the EVSE, so to keep the cable from being stolen, it's nice to have it locked to the vehicle. In the USA, all of the EVSEs have tethered cables, so that isn't a big issue, but locking it to the vehicle also means someone can't just remove it to charge theirs, maybe on your dime depending on the system and maybe before yours is fully charged, which is a bummer.

But, as said, once the vehicle determines that the batteries are fully charged, it tells the EVSE, and the power is removed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #5
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Set it to unlock at full charge. When you are at hotels or other public charging locations it allows others to disconnect your car and charge theirs.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #6
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

For safety you are not supposed to use anything not crash tested and approved for your exact model of car seat. Safest and best is to just mount the seat and not use any protector. The leather is quite durable and resilient.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

1) is meant for charger sharing in community use case where one EVSE is shared between 2-4 parking space. The idea is when your car finishes charging, it automatically unlocks the charging cable so other people can remove the charging cable without needing you to unlock the car. People can take turns charging this way.

I don’t think this is common in the US though.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 11:04 AM   #8
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
For safety you are not supposed to use anything not crash tested and approved for your exact model of car seat. Safest and best is to just mount the seat and not use any protector. The leather is quite durable and resilient.
Sorry but this is silly. These seat protectors are thinner than a towel and car seats are designed to fit hundreds of different size and style seats. The protectors don't interfere with the latches or harnesses in any way.

To OP, I use one like this on our full-size seat. On our booster seat, I just put a microfiber towel under it. I think the seat protectors are mostly fungible but I will caution that the protectors that have soft/grippy backing (kind of like what you'd put under a rug to prevent skidding) can break down and leave that backing stuck to your seats. That was a lesson learned the hard way.

https://www.amazon.com/Brica-Seat-Gu...69361573&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:59 PM   #9
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

https://www.consumerreports.org/babi...t-a5558682674/
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 09:19 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
Sorry but this is silly.
I have to agree with Lionel Hutz

their argument can be used for anything and everything not OEM-approved that’s used in the vehicle that have some degree of safety concern, not just crash-testing: 12V USB adapters and USB charging cables (electrical), seat cushions (crash), polarized eye/sunglasses (visual display interference), fluffy seat belt wraps that prevent chafing (crash), bare feet (pedal grip), etc etc

heck, the pants one wears is a direct comparison to these seat protectors when it comes to possible slippage concerns in the event of a crash, yet there’s no consumer safety report concerning this. if the concern isn’t slippage but rather interference with their proper installation, then it’s right to address this, but one’s clothing can be called into scrutiny if they interfere with proper seat belt use, yet I’m pretty certain no brand of clothing has been ‘approved’ by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #11
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post

I’m pretty certain no brand of clothing has been ‘approved’ by BMW.
depends on who you ask

Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4717.50
      08-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I’m pretty certain no brand of clothing has been ‘approved’ by BMW.
depends on who you ask
touché
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Would be off-topic but there is a Kith x BMW collection, including multiple clothing item, and a special version of i4 M50

https://kith.com/collections/kith-for-bmw

(lots of item look dope)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:23 PM   #14
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

LOL