BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #23
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
The brake dust that accumulates on the rims almost immediately after a wash is killing me. It feels 10x worse than dealing with a black car.

Does anybody have a recommendations for a good, safe and effective spray on rim cleaner that won't harm the clear coat but will get the brake dust off w/o scrubbing and buffing? Thanks.
I use Iron-X...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #24
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I'd pretty much echo what others have said. Sonax is good. So is the 1Z stuff. IMO, they're basically all the same. The thing that changes color is the iron-X type ingredient in the stuff.

I would add that probably the best (and easiest) thing to do is put some kind of coating on the wheels (optimum, CQ, etc), and wash regularly. I've found that, with a coating, I can just use a quick detailer, a little agitation, and rinse. It seems to get most all of the brake dust off; the QD is pretty good at emulsifying the iron particles and dirt if it's not baked on.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I'd pretty much echo what others have said. Sonax is good. So is the 1Z stuff. IMO, they're basically all the same. The thing that changes color is the iron-X type ingredient in the stuff.

I would add that probably the best (and easiest) thing to do is put some kind of coating on the wheels (optimum, CQ, etc), and wash regularly. I've found that, with a coating, I can just use a quick detailer, a little agitation, and rinse. It seems to get most all of the brake dust off; the QD is pretty good at emulsifying the iron particles and dirt if it's not baked on.
I waxed my wheels using some old Porsche hard wax (even though it was a liquid). First time using this wax and it smelled AWFUL - like freaking turpentine. (I did this in my basement before putting the wheels back on for summer)

But dang if that ain't enough to really keep the dust from setting into the wheels
      04-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I have a Karcher power washer, one of the accesories from Karcher called "Dirt Blaster Spray Wand" it makes the water to "move" in an orbital shape so strong that you have to be very careful not to hit the body of the car too close, you can damage the metal, believe me....but on the wheels, it works great, it removes 99% of the brake dust, I usually do a foam wash before, here a picture of the accesory
Name:  41-qigXJ-hL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  23.7 KB
      04-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #27
Jim300186
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Bilt hammer wheel cleaner works very well!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Adams wheel cleaner
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0