BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #45
Ultbruin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M5

Just got my production number today on order placed Monday. Much faster than anticipated. Unfortunately 32W remains for manual lower tailgate. My wife checked out X5 today and the manual would be a deal breaker as she is vertically challenged too.

What are options if automatic top and bottom lift gate is a must? Give up the production? Ask dealer to delay?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultbruin View Post
Just got my production number today on order placed Monday. Much faster than anticipated. Unfortunately 32W remains for manual lower tailgate. My wife checked out X5 today and the manual would be a deal breaker as she is vertically challenged too.

What are options if automatic top and bottom lift gate is a must? Give up the production? Ask dealer to delay?

Thanks
They can't delay that build, if it comes in without it then you can just pass and not take delivery. If you put down a non-refundable deposit that may complete things. Hopefully there is a change before it gets to the Production Begins stage and a VIN is assigned.
      03-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #47
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'd ask if the dealership would be willing to move the deposit to another allocation. At my dealership as soon as production starts the deposit is non refundable. That doesn't mean it isn't transferrable as they still have them money.

I think where it moves you in line will be dependent on the SA and how much they fight for you amongst the team.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #48
Ultbruin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M5

Thanks for the advice guys. Has anyone ever had a deletion added back during production on their order?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 11:26 PM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Has anyone ever had a deletion added back during production on their order?
I'm pretty sure that recently had some folks post that they had something on their vehicle when they picked it up that they weren't expecting but don't know the details. I would say in general that doesn't happen.
      03-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #50
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

I saw this on my build sheet. I think I am okay without it, since our f15 didn't have it. I would still rather have it on the new car.

But $150 credit for that is pretty sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #51
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

Slightly off topic.
Why no credit for the other delete items like
Trunk seat release, fog lights and such?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #52
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
Slightly off topic.
Pure speculation, but I would imagine that there wasn't enough time to quantify the value of those items for all markets and create delete codes for it that referenced the items. No time or budget for a project planned. They also may not have been options referenced or advertised in literature as standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:24 AM   #53
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
Slightly off topic.
Changes at the beginning of the year are not considered deletes but rather design changes that are taken into account with the MSRP.
      03-31-2022, 02:52 PM   #54
oscaput
Rep
Drives: GTI

The power lower gate delete is present in a 45e allocation I received today.

This is a significant disappointment; defeats usefulness of foot operated hatch.

If you are short or have a heavy or bulky object to place in back you will need to set it down to get tailgate down.

Hoping it is resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #55
CyberBear
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaput View Post
The power lower gate delete is present in a 45e allocation I received today.

This is a significant disappointment; defeats usefulness of foot operated hatch.

If you are short or have a heavy or bulky object to place in back you will need to set it down to get tailgate down.

Hoping it is resolved soon.
How did you know already? Mine is on order but haven't received any info of deletions yet. Do you find if you are affected when you receive an allocation?
      03-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBear View Post
How did you know already? Mine is on order but haven't received any info of deletions yet. Do you find if you are affected when you receive an allocation?
Have your dealer pull a new vehicle inquiry and it should be on there if you have the deletion.

There was a method for getting that information yourself by using developer tools when on the MyGarage page but BMW closed down the hole. I have seen it posted it is open again but have not tried it.
      03-31-2022, 04:57 PM   #57
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBear View Post
Have your dealer pull a new vehicle inquiry and it should be on there if you have the deletion.

There was a method for getting that information yourself by using developer tools when on the MyGarage page but BMW closed down the hole. I have seen it posted it is open again but have not tried it.
Are you referring to the F12 view or something different? My 50i gets built next week and I keep checking that to see if that deletion code gets added. As of this morning, no changes to my build list. Assuming it's staying for the 50i, or at least for previous orders anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 05:24 PM   #58
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGASPEN View Post
I skipped that gen never caring for it. I'm pretty sure my 2011 E70 35d did, but maybe not? I know my 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2017 LR4s and Discovery's did, so could be confused. All other recent cars in our garage have been Volvos. Sadly, no tailgates.
Nope, F15 and F85 had manual lower tailgate
We are talking lower tailgate
I think you are also confused on your LR4 as well, my wife had a 2014 LR4 it had a button to release but it was a manual close for both upper and lower parts.
Your Discovery did not have a lower tailgate, it had a one piece tailgate with an internal shelf you could lower.
      03-31-2022, 05:28 PM   #59
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just checked out the X5 with wife which will be her primary. It’s a deal breaker without automatic lower tailgate. Here’s hoping it comes back by the time our 45e goes into production. Otherwise will need to delay.
Interesting, since there are so few cars that have this split tailgate design. If you are someone that finds the split tailgate useful, you will be sadly disappointed without it. I missed it when I went from an X5 to an RRS and happy I have it back, would take a manual version in a heartbeat. My wife misses it from her LR4 even with it being manual.
      03-31-2022, 05:31 PM   #60
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Amazing how spoiled and lazy we have become as society that a manual lower tailgate which most people don't use on a daily basis would be a deal breaker on such an awesome car. Unless someone truly has a disability that they can benefit from the powered version, I just cant see it. I get its useful with the foot operated hatch, but there are so few cars out there that have this design, and I think having the split tailgate in general is such a huge benefit, manual or powered.
ChillyB19.50
      03-31-2022, 05:38 PM   #61
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
How tall is your wife? And how does a manual lower tailgate affect her by being vertically challenged? The button or latch for it is right there when you open the upper portion. There is no reaching for it. My kids 10 and under were able to operate the manual lower tailgate in the past.
      03-31-2022, 05:40 PM   #62
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to the F12 view or something different? My 50i gets built next week and I keep checking that to see if that deletion code gets added. As of this morning, no changes to my build list. Assuming it's staying for the 50i, or at least for previous orders anyway.
That is correct. That was taken away for awhile when BMW removed the option for adding in-progress vehicles to MyGarage. Instead they added a Tracking section that didn't have the ability to do the F12.
      03-31-2022, 06:18 PM   #63
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Quote:
I skipped that gen never caring for it. I'm pretty sure my 2011 E70 35d did, but maybe not? I know my 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2017 LR4s and Discovery's did, so could be confused. All other recent cars in our garage have been Volvos. Sadly, no tailgates.
Nope, F15 and F85 had manual lower tailgate
We are talking lower tailgate
I think you are also confused on your LR4 as well, my wife had a 2014 LR4 it had a button to release but it was a manual close for both upper and lower parts.
Your Discovery did not have a lower tailgate, it had a one piece tailgate with an internal shelf you could lower.
You're exactly right and I was remembering this the other day. Each of my LR4s had that square rubber button on the right to pop the lower gate. And the Disco had the carpeted flap you could use in place of a tailgate.

All valid points with the split tailgates. It's a brilliant design. Unsure if Land Rover way back was the first, but that even better with one side less deep allowing you to crawl further back into the vehicle while keeping the lower tailgate down. Regardless, the tailgate of the X5 is one of many pluses over the competition. I really like the power, and it would be handy with the over anxious dog, but I use the tailgate everyday and really miss it from our Volvos. Excellent for our outdoor activities. Even works with bikes on the trailer hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #64
BeMyWingman
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Amazing how spoiled and lazy we have become as society that a manual lower tailgate which most people don't use on a daily basis would be a deal breaker on such an awesome car. Unless someone truly has a disability that they can benefit from the powered version, I just cant see it. I get its useful with the foot operated hatch, but there are so few cars out there that have this design, and I think having the split tailgate in general is such a huge benefit, manual or powered.
My grandfather said I was spoiled because my first car had power steering... Automated rear hatches are a pretty common feature that should be standard on any "luxury" SUV now days. My dog can't operate a manual tailgate, so that won't work for my use case and I won't take delivery on my build if the powered tailgate gets deleted. I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle during the past few generations of X5, but even 5-10 years ago a non-fully automated rear hatch would have excluded the X5 from consideration... that's just a requirement for me. I didn't really get why people were canceling orders when BMW axed the HK sound (easy aftermarket solution, IMO), but hey, that was a hard requirement for their luxury vehicle.

But let's be honest here... BMW doesn't make practical cars. Anyone who has bought a BMW did not get it just to drive from A to B. They got it for the peak of mass-produced performance, luxury, brand status, CONVENIENCE, etc. Not everyone who drives a Bimmer is lazy, but you could argue we are all "spoiled" or are spoiling ourselves with such excess.

The 45e was the winner of all the plugin SUVs we tested out and the automation/convenience features were a big factor in that decision. We won't need a new car immediately, so if I get the delete and this goes beyond a temporary supply chain hiccup, the X5 falls out of the running for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #65
ChillyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB GLC 350e

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Petty bourgeois problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #66
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My wife is 4'10 on a good day. The lower lift gate being power is a huge benefit for her to set groceries down quickly when her hands are full. It was one convenience feature she raved about. I think no lower gate would be better than a manual gate. I wouldn't have expected spoiled and lazy commentary to come out on a bmw forum discussing luxury SUVs. Is it spoiled certainly. Lazy, that might be extreme. I'm guessing everyone buying an x5 likes to be spoiled a little. Good news is that everyone happy with the manual gate can keep being happy and those that want it can order later.
Appreciate 0