BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2023, 09:51 AM   #45
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckochese View Post
I have the same thing with my 24 40i. I just figured it was the stupid regenerative braking and part of the 48v hybrid nonsense. Seems to smooth out after driving a few miles but very pronounced early in a trip. This issue coupled with the annoying ASS, which I can defeat using tips found on another thread, almost make me want to trade this in on something else. It’s obnoxious and the lack of refinement in a 75k vehicle is piss poor. It just looks so damn good…….
Yeah, the ASS sucks, absolutely and nothing more than stupid tree hugger BS. How many of us give a crap about saving a teaspoon of gas.
Personally I love the 48v mild hybrid in my M60i. You can feel the torque bump from the start and at other points when the system brings the electric motor's 147 lb ft of torque to the party. That is a win for sure.
Your 40i is actually making around 440HP at the engine, has good power and performance metrics to match.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #46
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Ugh, hearing you guys complain about the ASS gives me anxiety about my soon to be delivered 40i. I was able to code my M340i to start in sport individual so I'm spoiled in that other than starting the car no other intervention is required. I actually found I prefer my M340i individual set to "sport" drive train and am hoping that the shift mapping is similar in the X5 so that I can use that workaround and just get accustomed to pressing the 'sport' button immediately after startup. I'm slightly concerned the mapping (less suited for everyday driving) will be different or something else I am unaware of. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #47
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Maybe it is the tranny causing the abrupt stops. I figured it was the brakes. Whatever it is I wish it was fixable. I’m guessing it’s just the way this thing is engineered. Power def isn’t a concern with 40i. It rips pretty good considering.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #48
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIDeductIt View Post
Ugh, hearing you guys complain about the ASS gives me anxiety about my soon to be delivered 40i. I was able to code my M340i to start in sport individual so I'm spoiled in that other than starting the car no other intervention is required. I actually found I prefer my M340i individual set to "sport" drive train and am hoping that the shift mapping is similar in the X5 so that I can use that workaround and just get accustomed to pressing the 'sport' button immediately after startup. I'm slightly concerned the mapping (less suited for everyday driving) will be different or something else I am unaware of. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Just pull back on the transmission selector once in drive at any time and it puts the transmission in sport, ASS gone at that point, pull back again to go back to comfort transmission mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #49
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Just pull back on the transmission selector once in drive at any time and it puts the transmission in sport, ASS gone at that point, pull back again to go back to comfort transmission mode.
When I use the gear selector to move to S mode in the M340i it's quite a bit more aggressive on holding revs and downshifts coming to a stop than selecting the sport drivetrain mode via the Sport button. I'm hopefully that this carries over to the X5 and that sport drive train is tame enough to drive day to day without becoming annoying. I wish I could have test driven one but no one in my area has a 24 on the lot.

I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't want to be a few months into an $80k outlay and be frustrated with the experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #50
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIDeductIt View Post
When I use the gear selector to move to S mode in the M340i it's quite a bit more aggressive on holding revs and downshifts coming to a stop than selecting the sport drivetrain mode via the Sport button. I'm hopefully that this carries over to the X5 and that sport drive train is tame enough to drive day to day without becoming annoying. I wish I could have test driven one but no one in my area has a 24 on the lot.

I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't want to be a few months into an $80k outlay and be frustrated with the experience.
Trust me, you will be more than fine. This is really a minor issue.
I don't know how it is on the 40i but with the M60i it is as close to seamless as it could be. I pull the transmission switch at stop lights occasionally so the A/C is not compromised on 90+ days.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:31 PM   #51
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
I've occasionally noticed what's being described as "rough downshifting" with my 2019 50i m-Sport. In my experience, this artifact only happens during "timid" driving (e.g., coasting up to a slow turn or traffic light, stop and go driving, or unintentionally emulating a Prius driver). When driving in a more focused manner it's never an issue. I regularly use Sport (standard) mode and thankfully rarely drive in heavy traffic and find the transmission works very well with a more performance-oriented driving approach. My tip is to try driving in a manner consistent with BMW's lineage as a driver's car and it will reward you with better response all around. Stay away from Comfort or Eco modes and you'll find your bimmer will be in a happier place. The Sport mode is perfectly fine for everyday driving, and if needed use Sport Individual to maintain the comfort damper setting but keep the other performance modes engaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:43 PM   #52
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had my 24 40i at the dealer this week for the rough downshifts. They confirmed that it’s not normal behavior for the vehicle and updated the tranny software or something. Sadly it didn’t help and when I drove it today it’s still acting up. Anybody have luck getting the problem resolved? I’ll have to contact the dealer tomorrow to see how they want to proceed.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:54 AM   #53
WillyFast
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, 2024 530i

I’m taking in my 2024 530i for the same issue https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30813362
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:03 AM   #54
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe you’ll have some success. Interestingly they had to update my I drive because the over the air update caused various faults, CarPlay etc. They installed the 7.23 version and not the latest 11 etc. I wonder if that would address the transmission wonkyness. I’ll post if I get anywhere.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 03:29 PM   #55
E70X5M35i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Maybe you’ll have some success. Interestingly they had to update my I drive because the over the air update caused various faults, CarPlay etc. They installed the 7.23 version and not the latest 11 etc. I wonder if that would address the transmission wonkyness. I’ll post if I get anywhere.
keep us posted. Just to confirm, have you tried putting it in sport mode? In sport mode, the downshifts are much more smooth and instantaneous.. but i drive mostly in adaptive mode (and sometimes in comfort mode). Curious if yours is smoother in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:00 PM   #56
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

It’s back at the dealer getting looked at. They know it’s not operating properly and are trying to figure out why. Didn’t think it was software related as that’s been updated already. Hopefully it gets sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:12 AM   #57
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I sometimes feel the roughness of downshift when going to a stop under light braking (I drive 99% in adaptive mode). The roughness manifests like a minor back and forth jerks (like something pulls the car from behind for a few times, engine braking?). I'm not sure if this is from transmission or brake since it does NOT seem to present if I let ACC brake for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:44 AM   #58
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

The problem with mine is a really hard downshift into first gear while rolling to a stop. It’s jarring and abrupt, sometimes actually shaking you or a passenger forward like you slammed on your brakes. It dissipates after you drive ten or so miles but never completely goes away. Service tech suspected something mechanical with the tranny. We’ll see I guess. It’s a shame because I really like the X5 other than that and the various tech glitches. If they can’t sort it soon it’s gonzo and I’ll be driving something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:24 PM   #59
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dealer is replacing the tranny on my 24 40i. Apparently early build cars, mine was 5/23, are suffering from the hard downshift into 1st gear. There is actually an updated tranny in later builds. Different part number entirely so they changed something. Took a minute to get bmw to approve it but hopefully fixes the issue. Hope that’s helpful for anyone experiencing the problem.
Appreciate 2
bandersen587.00
mojoJJ263.50
      02-13-2024, 05:22 PM   #60
emmix007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I have 24 x5 40i manufactured may 5th 2023.I started noticing the downshift kick right before the full stop. The issue is most pronounced when the car is cold. How can I distinguish between a faulty transmission and a normal operation of the cold car?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:46 PM   #61
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had the same problem exactly as you describe it. Only 6600 miles on the clock too. I just got mine back from the dealer after they replaced the transmission. Haven’t had a chance to drive it cold but the dealer did and told me the problem is gone. I’ll see in the am. As a side note, later builds use the same transmission with a different part number. My understanding is BMW is having issues with the older builds and switched something in the transmission hence the new part number. The dealer was extremely helpful in getting it resolved. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 10:44 AM   #62
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

New tranny solved the problem. Something internal in the earlier builds is causing the hard downshifts. Might take a little convincing to get bmw to replace it though. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #63
goangaus
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30i

Quote:
New tranny solved the problem. Something internal in the earlier builds is causing the hard downshifts. Might take a little convincing to get bmw to replace it though. Good luck.
How are you feeling the car on light braking, are you feeling any amount of engine brake?
Everyone says(dealers) that it is normal to downshift while slowing down but I guess no engine brake should be present, at least I did not noticed any on my tests with loaner BMWs.
Did anyone found a way to reproduce this to the dealer? Mine does it completely random and I am not able to reproduce it...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:29 PM   #64
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep

Light braking while the vehicle was cold caused the hardest downshifts into first gear while stopping. It was jarring when it occurred and was getting progressively worse around 4000 miles on the odo. My understanding is that it’s a known issue with bmw on early build 24’s. They replaced my tranny with an updated version and it’s smooth as silk now.
Appreciate 0