BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

iDrive 8.5: 3D junction view in instrument cluster

Has anyone managed to get this to work? I've tried everything.

I'm not a fan of the Augmented reality. I prefer the more basic old style freeway exit sign posts that would pop up when it was time to exit a freeway when route guidance was active. This has being on iDrive since at least 2009 ... Note, this is BMW maps/navigation and not related to android or carplay.

So I assume with iDrive 8.5, "3D junction view in instrument cluster" would give me this. Although I would prefer these to pop up in the control display instead. The help tip talks about instrument cluster and "perspective view" which could mean the map in the control display?

BMW have created so many different places where the same information is repeated, its quite a mess. They essentially have 3 places where you can have the same information. HUD, Instrument cluster and control display.

From what i can gather ..]
  • Lists can be displayed in control display OR HUD
  • BMW Nav Maps can be displayed in control display AND HUD AND instrument cluster
  • Augmented Reality overlay can be displayed in control display (when map is shown. Not in Home menu however) OR instrument cluster
  • Augmented Reality with assisted view (on all the time) can be displayed in instrument cluster only. Note when this layout is enabled in the instrument cluster, you won't see augmented reality overlay in control display
  • Media now playing can be displayed in Control display AND instrument cluster
  • 3D junction view can be displayed in instrument cluster only when layout is set to show the map. Not shown in HUD or Control display.

If you did get the 3D junction view to work, can you tell me whether it shows up in the control display or instrument cluster or both. And in either, what was the current layout or view.

*update* Verified 3D junction view working when instrument cluster has map view selected for layout.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by apw2607; 09-21-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      09-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
coolcat0304
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm not a fan of the Augmented reality. I prefer the more basic old style freeway exit sign posts that would pop up when it was time to exit a freeway when route guidance was active. This has being on iDrive since at least 2009 ... Note, this is BMW maps/navigation and not related to android or carplay.

So I assume with iDrive 8.5, "3D junction view in instrument cluster" would give me this. Although I would prefer these to pop up in the control display instead. The help tip talks about instrument cluster and "perspective view" which could mean the map in the control display?

BMW have created so many different places where the same information is repeated, its quite a mess. They essentially have 3 places where you can have the same information. HUD, Instrument cluster and control display.

From what i can gather ..
  1. Lists can be displayed in control display OR HUD
  2. BMW Nav Maps can be displayed in control display AND HUD AND instrument cluster
  3. Augmented Reality overlay can be displayed in control display OR instrument cluster
  4. Augmented Reality (on all the time) can be displayed in instrument cluster.
  5. Media now playing can be displayed in Control display AND instrument cluster
  6. 3D junction view can be displayed ...... ??????

If you did get the 3D junction view to work, can you tell me whether it shows up in the control display or instrument cluster or both. And in either, what was the current layout or view.

Thanks
The 3D junction view works on the instrument cluster, and only if the map view is selected.
Appreciate 1
apw2607581.00
      02-14-2024, 01:51 PM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

From what i can gather ..]
[LIST][*]Lists can be displayed in control display OR HUD[*]BMW Nav Maps can be displayed in control display AND HUD AND instrument cluster[*]Augmented Reality overlay can be displayed in control display (when map is shown. Not in Home menu however) OR instrument cluster[*]Augmented Reality with assisted view (on all the time) can be displayed in instrument cluster only. Note when this layout is enabled in the instrument cluster, you won't see augmented reality overlay in control display[*]Media now playing can be displayed in Control display AND instrument cluster[*]3D junction view can be displayed in instrument cluster only when layout is set to show the map. Not shown in HUD or [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat0304 View Post
The 3D junction view works on the instrument cluster, and only if the map view is selected.
How can i get to these settings? Thanks
Appreciate 0