BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2024, 08:27 PM   #1
jotoms
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Stereo upgrade in Charlotte

I bought my 2022 45e during the chip shortage and only have the base audio. I’d like to upgrade speakers and amp, etc. Does anyone have a shop in Charlotte, NC area they’d recommend? Should I attempt to do it myself (I’m fairly handy). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 08:44 PM   #2
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

I had my X3 upgraded to Morel hybrid speakers, two JL Audio TW6 13” subs, Helix DSP at Audio Masters in Pineville. I think they’re one of the few Morel dealers in the area, and they did an amazing job of tuning with the DSP.

Best sounding car system I’ve ever heard. Miles above the B&W in my X7, even after tuning it. Highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 08:57 PM   #3
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

My 2022 with base hifi was upgraded to bavsound speakers and sub and matchtec amp. Definitely live it. People here also love the focul’s with matchtec/bimmertech amp. All professionally installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 07:51 AM   #4
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Former installer here...

Step 1 is decide what you actually want to do. If you just want a bavsound drop in upgrade (or similar), that's a different set of competencies than a fully custom, active DSP $6k upgrade.

If you just want a bavsound upgrade, I'd stop by a couple of best buy locations near you and check out their install bays and talk to their installers. You can get a good feel.for if they're a legit shop or they're not. I've seen stores that had world class install bays that routinely did work on supercars, classic customs, etc. I worked at one of them in fact. On the other hand, some install bays are basically staffed to exist, without any real experience or training, they're usually not very busy, and tbh, the good stores will likely warm you about them. We had 2 local stores that I was always fixing mistakes from, and I'd warn people about them if they were closer to those stores. The big difference maker with Best Buy is they're huge, they're insured, and they'll make it right. Mistakes happen, sometimes a trim piece gets scratched or something like that and BBY has the insurance and money to fix it. A lot of times the smaller mom and pop shops, they don't.

I worked on a car for a guy who had a local mom and pop shop drill holes in the roof of his new Escalade. They told him "sorry, we put some rtv to keep it from leaking so you should be good" and he ended up having to sue them to get them to pay to actually fix it. They shut down shortly after because they didn't have the money. Another guy had his BCM and PCM fried, same kind of deal, they said it was a fault with the car and they didn't know anything about it and told him to get it towed to the dealer because they finished the install. Not atll small shops are like this, but a lot are, and you mitigate your risk going to a good Beat Buy.

That said, if you're going all out custom with fabbed door panels and the like, find a store with an MECP Master installer. That's out of scope for what most Best Buys will do, and is more the realm of the smaller shops that specialize in over the top installs. Finding an MECP Master certified installer is a good way to know that you're dealing with at least a legit installer, and since mMaster installers can work basically wherever they want, hopefully the store will be good too.

Good luck, and spend your time talking to the shops before you decide where to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

BlkGS thanks for the informative post!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #6
jotoms
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Thanks for the info! I’m 2yrs in so really looking for just an HK-level upgrade, not B&W/over-the-top. I’ll go check this out, thanks
Appreciate 0