Post #6 in this thread. It's kind of hard to get a pic at the right angle
sssmokie125.00
      04-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #46
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

Just placed an order for 2 sets of the black ones to pair with a M50i in Dravit Grey.

I plan to angle them slightly towards the center, as I noticed this was how my old Macan S was setup.

Driver Side: Both tips at 1:30
Passenger Side: Both tips at 10:30
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #47
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

For those that have already installed these, would it be smart/easier to use a soapy water solution and spray on existing tips to slide on easier and adjust the angles?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #48
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcus2man View Post
For those that have already installed these, would it be smart/easier to use a soapy water solution and spray on existing tips to slide on easier and adjust the angles?
no need, just slide them on, adjust accordingly to make them straight or as you (ex match body curves), and once you positioned them, just push hard on them to slide them in all the way.

Mine still look a little weird though because though all 4 are straight at 12:00, from different angles, they look a bit odd I think... not sure if its just me or if others have noticed on theirs too, but oh well. good $40 mod for what it is.

Found other tips on Ali which are bolt on instead of sleeve-like as these are, but 43 per tip is a bit much, so will just stick with these cheepo ones
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #49
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Name:  DEADCBCD-E880-480D-9983-4EA11968A916.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  336.1 KBName:  IMG_8713.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  321.3 KB

Turned out great, installation took almost no time. I went with the 10:30/1:30 angles!

EDIT: I have since changed to the 3pm/9pm orientation!

Last edited by mmm50i; 05-09-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWoody43.00
      04-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #50
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

I appreciate this is for the M50i dual pipes, however has anyone fitted dual exhaust sleeves to a single exhaust? Is this something that is possible within the existing housing?
Appreciate your thoughts👍
      05-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #51
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
I appreciate this is for the M50i dual pipes, however has anyone fitted dual exhaust sleeves to a single exhaust? Is this something that is possible within the existing housing?
Appreciate your thoughts👍
Since the single tip is oval shaped, cutting will be required to fit a dual exhaust sleeve onto it. Here’s a video of someone doing it. I’m not a fan with how much the tips stick out of the rear housing.

https://youtu.be/hq0AvjfefE0

Last edited by mmm50i; 05-09-2022 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #52
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Just installed this morning. They look ok for a $40 modification. But something about the alignment on the inside tip on each side is annoying me. What do you guys think? I have the tips slightly angled towards the center on each side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 03:47 PM   #53
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Just installed this morning. They look ok for a $40 modification. But something about the alignment on the inside tip on each side is annoying me. What do you guys think? I have the tips slightly angled towards the center on each side.
Needs different angles. I used 3 o'clock on the driver side and 9 o'clock on the passenger side. Yours look like they point different ways between each pair
      05-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #54
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
Needs different angles. I used 3 o'clock on the driver side and 9 o'clock on the passenger side. Yours look like they point different ways between each pair
Ya that is odd because I lined them up pretty meticulously. The drain holes on the bottom are identically tilted in the same direction.

So you think increasing the angle further towards center will look better? I am more so referring to both inside tips sitting higher than the outside ones. Just doesn't look quite right for a $90K vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #55
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Name:  looks-good-to-me.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  109.6 KB
Appreciate 5
      05-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #56
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
Attachment 2868403Attachment 2879732

Turned out great, installation took almost no time. I went with the 10:30/1:30 angles!

EDIT: I have since changed to the 3pm/9pm orientation!
Is the diameter of the exhaust on the M50i smaller than on the X5M? In this photo they look smaller…may be because of how closely they are bunched together and framed by the square opening which also has a cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #57
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man i am in the same exact boat.... my shit appears straight from alignment perspective but looks as weird as yours does. No clue why. I was debating about taking them off and just getting bolt on ones instead in hopes of it being a bit better but didnt want to spend the extra money on it
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #58
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Looking at it now again from your photo, can it be that the inner ones are not on all the way? Meaning, there are 3 prongs on each tip, maybe the tip is not on all the way for all 3 to be on the pipe and causing it to point upward a bit and makes it look odd the way it is?

I wont be home for a few days to check mine, but will definitely be checking that.

Should have taken a pic of mine and looked sooner lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:50 PM   #59
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Looking at it now again from your photo, can it be that the inner ones are not on all the way? Meaning, there are 3 prongs on each tip, maybe the tip is not on all the way for all 3 to be on the pipe and causing it to point upward a bit and makes it look odd the way it is?

I wont be home for a few days to check mine, but will definitely be checking that.

Should have taken a pic of mine and looked sooner lol
I pushed them in as far as I could once aligned. I removed them and reinstalled with more tilt towards the center. Driver side at 3 o'clock and passenger side at 9. The inside tip on both sides appears higher. Might be helpful for some up close photos from others that had success.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 12:23 AM   #60
dormouse
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
This happens because the tips will hit a bend on the "inside" pipes and force the tips to angle up as you push them on. You can see the path of the pipes in first picture of this post - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=2. The bend on the outside pipes are farther back, so they don't foul on the outside tips. However, the bend on the insides are much closer to you and that affects the final position of those tips.

The OP actually mentions cutting the tips because of this problem, so I decided I would follow suit with the dremel. There's only so much you can cut because of the retaining clip placement, but I like the fit on mine much better after the cuts and some minor flaring with a hammer.

Ideally, these tips should be a bit shorter and/or have the back side cut at the same angle as the front... that would make it work better for those who like the 3/9 o'clock look. I also wish the finish on these were a bit better because they are already fading quite a bit after 6 months, but that might be too much to ask on $10 tips.

I ordered a different set (now on a slow boat from China) I'm hoping works better without modifications... Now, I'm even having some thoughts about ceramic powder coating them if the costs aren't too bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #61
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
Quote:
This happens because the tips will hit a bend on the "inside" pipes and force the tips to angle up as you push them on. You can see the path of the pipes in first picture of this post - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2. The bend on the outside pipes are farther back, so they don't foul on the outside tips. However, the bend on the insides are much closer to you and that affects the final position of those tips.

The OP actually mentions cutting the tips because of this problem, so I decided I would follow suit with the dremel. There's only so much you can cut because of the retaining clip placement, but I like the fit on mine much better after the cuts and some minor flaring with a hammer.

Ideally, these tips should be a bit shorter and/or have the back side cut at the same angle as the front... that would make it work better for those who like the 3/9 o'clock look. I also wish the finish on these were a bit better because they are already fading quite a bit after 6 months, but that might be too much to ask on $10 tips.

I ordered a different set (now on a slow boat from China) I'm hoping works better without modifications... Now, I'm even having some thoughts about ceramic powder coating them if the costs aren't too bad.
How did you cut them? I don't have a miter saw but wondering if a circular saw would do it with the right blade. Seems tricky to try and hold/cut these little tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #62
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-42-draft...-91-51cmb~42d/

These might fit as a higher end option, but not sure it is worth $300 for just the tip

2.5" Inlet / 3" Single Wall, Slant Cut Outlet. It does say they fit the M50i...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #63
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
but not sure it is worth $300 for just the tip
That's what she said.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #64
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
This happens because the tips will hit a bend on the "inside" pipes and force the tips to angle up as you push them on. You can see the path of the pipes in first picture of this post - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=2. The bend on the outside pipes are farther back, so they don't foul on the outside tips. However, the bend on the insides are much closer to you and that affects the final position of those tips.

Which tips did you order from china?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #65
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Comparison photos below. Tips are angled on driver side at 3 and passenger side at 9. The inside tips really bother me and I think I am returning. Not sure I feel comfortable trying to cut off 1/4 inch for the inside tips—knowing me I'd just destroy both of them.

Unfortunately I think cutting the inside tip to shorten it/achieve better alignment is required for these exhaust tips posted by the OP. It looks just awkward enough in my opinion with the inside tip angling upwards and getting blocked by the exhaust openings along with seeing that exhaust within an exhaust look.

My last resort is trying to find a local exhaust shop to get their opinion on options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #66
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Here's mine again. No cutting, 3 o'clock left and 9 o'clock right.
Attached Images

CT335xi684.00
1Boxer34.50
1230vani652.50