BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

West Forged Review

Hey all,

This is a review of my experience purchasing wheels from West Forged. I believe they are UK based (business side) and wheels are produced in Asia. They advertise production of a forged bespoke wheel/a wheel design of your choice. I was unable to find any reviews online and found but a few youtube videos. They are are a relatively newer company to the scene. They do upload to instagram. Hopefully my journey in purchasing my wheels will assist others as they look to various companies.

I weighed my options for months on wheels. BC Forged, HRE free flow, Rotiform, Vossen, RUSCH and lastly West Forged. My specs? I was looking for a 22inch set as close to stock in width and with a more aggressive offset.

BC Forged 2pc wheels were $6174 shipped. The website might quote you $5500 shipped BUT it does not include tax. I wasn't pleased that I was already maxing out my budget of $6k on wheels only; seeing the $6100 number turned me off enough not to buy. Great product though.

Rotiform 2pc wheels and 1pc wheels were $8-9k with the offsets I was searching for. Beautiful wheels but too much for my pockets! They did offer a monoblock for $4k but the offsets weren't aggressive enough and I did not want to run spacers on a custom set.

Vossen was $4k or $7k depending on my wheel choice. The standard monoblock designs they offered (HF-5 for example) were around $4k but a newer forged designs like the LC3-01 would cost me roughly $7-8k.

HRE free flow I believe are they're north of $4k after tax but you can check yourself. None of the designs were interesting enough for me.

RUSCH wheels had great communication and did a render for me. I was ready to order until they required a wire transfer to a foreign bank account for payment. No credit card option and pricing was about $4500 sea shipment or $5000 with air shipment. People probably do this all the time but I didn't like that payment method so I walked.

West Forged was recommended by a fellow board member and they offered to produce a wheel of my choice, any wheel, and that it would be forged. 2pc Wheels were in the $4900-5300 price range and monoblock was just around $3900 with tax. *Pricing will always vary but it will likely go upward over time. I picked a monoblock wheel design of my choice and made my payment via credit card. I'm no wheel designer so starting from scratch wasn't part of my plan. A deposit can be made or full payment. I opted for full payment. Communication was consistent and I promptly received an invoice and design with wheel specs to confirm everything was how I wanted. 22x10.5 and 22x11.5 in a satin black finish with offsets of 22 front and 23 rear.

Wheel delivery window was 60-90 days. Not thrilled about this but considering the savings vs other competitor prices I had nothing to complain about. *BC forged was 20-30 days. Additionally, I had needed to budget and source for tires; remember my budget was $6k.

I located tires through my local BMW dealer. They are the Pirelli PZ4s non-RF. Michelin Tires are difficult to locate and backordered. Dealer has quoted me roughly $2300 pre-tax for a set 275 and 315s (stock setup for 22s). They have agreed to mount and balance even though my rim is non-OEM as long as it fits. :thumbsup I'm going to keep my stocks so I'll be rotating them every 6-7 months. The Pirelli's should do just fine.

Communication with West Forged has been decent but confusing as of late. You do not receive pictures of the finished product from the factory (wherever it is). They did tell me the wheels will be inspected before they're shipped to me to ensure the specs/finish are correct. Delivery was supposed to be 7/18 but that's been pushed back after my email inquiries asking for updates. Would have been nice if they had reached out to me to let me know of any delays in advance. I've had to move my dealer appointment more than a couple times to anticipate the arrival of the wheels. I've been provided a tracking number via FedEx and the packages (4) have not yet been submitted to FedEx per the website. I've gone back and forth with West Forged trying to time the delivery but its been challenging because I've been told the wheels are waiting to pass customs but also "I will try and push for delivery today." Perhaps things are lost in translation with whomever I am working with. FedEx can't deliver them because they don't have them.

Wheels are expected to arrive by 8/1 and installed 8/2. Will post pics when they're on. Stay tuned.

Last edited by PNWM50I; 07-25-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
lithe31.00
      07-25-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Thank you for this detailed post. I'm about to place an order for aftermarket wheels for a 2024 X5 50e in the next couple weeks and this was helpful to read. I have been researching for a long time and looking at many of the same companies.

I'm looking for the following:
  • 2-piece
  • multi-spoke
  • brushed clear
  • Front = 22x10.5 +30
  • Rear = 22x12 +35

I'm very close to going with BC Forged and have a quote directly from Jonathan DeHate for $5700 shipped, no tax. I had him re-confirm that I would not be charged sales tax. He did ask what state I was in, NC, and confirmed no sales tax.

Anyway, I am very interested in West Forged and will consider them again after your post. I know Bimmerpost user bforbrian has their Quare Duo design in what looks like brushed clear and it looks amazing.

Wheels are so hard to decide on, but I love the process. I have not considered West Forge's bespoke design program, but maybe I should.

I'm excited to see the outcome of your wheel journey!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

PNW ....do you have a -trusted- wheel/tire shop vs dealer

I wouldn't use the dealer for that...

My tire shop has great touch less machines & tire technicians....and the same goes with them getting road forced with minimal weights in black or grey weights to blend with the barrel. He's even got the adapter hub plates so no cone -get's put on the hub bore but it's a touchless lug nut engagement...

If he's mounting or dismounting, even though it's a rubber cone, he will use a towel on the bore and also put tape on the outer wheel face where they seat the tire. Little small details like this all add up
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 04:05 PM   #4
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post
Thank you for this detailed post. I'm about to place an order for aftermarket wheels for a 2024 X5 50e in the next couple weeks and this was helpful to read. I have been researching for a long time and looking at many of the same companies.

I'm looking for the following:
  • 2-piece
  • multi-spoke
  • brushed clear
  • Front = 22x10.5 +30
  • Rear = 22x12 +35

I'm very close to going with BC Forged and have a quote directly from Jonathan DeHate for $5700 shipped, no tax. I had him re-confirm that I would not be charged sales tax. He did ask what state I was in, NC, and confirmed no sales tax.

Anyway, I am very interested in West Forged and will consider them again after your post. I know Bimmerpost user bforbrian has their Quare Duo design in what looks like brushed clear and it looks amazing.

Wheels are so hard to decide on, but I love the process. I have not considered West Forge's bespoke design program, but maybe I should.

I'm excited to see the outcome of your wheel journey!
Yep, I chatted with bforbrian before ordering mine from West Forged!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
PNW ....do you have a -trusted- wheel/tire shop vs dealer

I wouldn't use the dealer for that...

My tire shop has great touch less machines & tire technicians....and the same goes with them getting road forced with minimal weights in black or grey weights to blend with the barrel. He's even got the adapter hub plates so no cone -get's put on the hub bore but it's a touchless lug nut engagement...

If he's mounting or dismounting, even though it's a rubber cone, he will use a towel on the bore and also put tape on the outer wheel face where they seat the tire. Little small details like this all add up
I don't have a trusted shop other than my local Discount Tire. I could pay more money for a Park Place Ltd. installation but its just easier at the dealer plus I'm due for me 2yr service. I figure one stop shop this go around. I'm not too concerned about the dealer only because the dealership should have the bandwidth to compensate my if they're damaged in the process. I've bought three cars from them and have services all of my vehicles there without issue. Afterall, they offered to do it when I ordered the tires and explained my circumstances. Considering they do install for stock 22s on OEM wheels, I'm willing to give them a shot. I could go to a speciality shop but with my luck something will get screwed up by trying to go above and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I presume most dealers should have a RoadForce machine, ( I've done the locator search and generally dealerships do come up on the Road Force locater site) but do ask to get them Road Force balanced. It is an extra service ontop of a typical mount/balance. It should be another $100-$125 more to your install but it's worth it. I'm not sure what the dealer rate is for this type of work so YMMV on the #'s just quoted.

Last edited by chefwong; 07-25-2023 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:25 PM   #7
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have a recommended way of contacting West Forged?

Should I fill out the form on: https://www.westforged.com/contact ?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, they were pretty responsive.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #9
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

My wheels were also through the bespoke design program, and after my wheels were produced, they simply named them the Quare Duo.

I'm almost certain that the wheels are manufactured in China (not Taiwan, like BC Forged), and once the wheels arrive in the states, the tracking numbers will become active. That was my experience.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 09:19 PM   #10
DKNICK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 GO5 X40i

Check with Precision Forged! Veteran owned, great quality, excellent pricing, and can custom make any wheel design you want.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 09:12 AM   #11
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

I went on vacation for 5 days and initially wanted them NOT delivered while I was gone. I managed to get a neighbor to help out if they were and told West Forged to just ship them out.

I was told a day later that the "hold" would be lifted on the wheels and that they're here in the US and ready for shipment. This was just over a week ago. Again, I have a tracking number showing 4 pieces coming from California but nothing received by FedEx.

Monday I was told they would contact FedEx to see what was going on and update me. Nothing since.

I've had to reschedule my appointment to next week in hopes these wheels show up. It is a bummer that my patience and enthusiasm for these wheels is a bit ruined by the lack of organization by West Forged and delay. I won't say whether I'll recommend them or not just yet until the final product is delivered.

Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #12
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM50I View Post
Update:

I went on vacation for 5 days and initially wanted them NOT delivered while I was gone. I managed to get a neighbor to help out if they were and told West Forged to just ship them out.

I was told a day later that the "hold" would be lifted on the wheels and that they're here in the US and ready for shipment. This was just over a week ago. Again, I have a tracking number showing 4 pieces coming from California but nothing received by FedEx.

Monday I was told they would contact FedEx to see what was going on and update me. Nothing since.

I've had to reschedule my appointment to next week in hopes these wheels show up. It is a bummer that my patience and enthusiasm for these wheels is a bit ruined by the lack of organization by West Forged and delay. I won't say whether I'll recommend them or not just yet until the final product is delivered.

Fingers crossed.
Looking forward to the update. I've been speaking with West Forged by email about their custom design program but may go another route.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 12:35 PM   #13
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNICK View Post
Check with Precision Forged! Veteran owned, great quality, excellent pricing, and can custom make any wheel design you want.
Thank you for this recommendation. I've been emailing Precision Forged about a custom wheel I designed. Think I'm leaning towards them since they're in the states. Should be a fun process.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 05:15 PM   #14
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Wheels arrive tomorrow! Install Tuesday.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      08-04-2023, 09:46 PM   #15
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Wheels arrive tomorrow! Install Tuesday.
Post some photos
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #16
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

PNWM50I How did you arrive at the offsets you choose?

You're at the following:
Front = 22x10.5 +22 (poke 27.7mm more than OEM 22s)
Rear = 22x11.5 +23 (poke 32.7mm more than OEM 22s)

I was thinking of the following:
Front = 22x10.5 +30 (poke 19.7mm more than OEM 22s)
Rear = 22x12.0 +35 (poke 27.1mm more than OEM 22s)

Considering most owners that have the OEM 22s put 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers on and consider it somewhat aggressive. Like you, I do not want to use spacers on custom wheels, and after viewing a ton of photos I decided I wanted to go more aggressive than the typical 15/20 spacers.

Apparently you feel like that's the perfect flush look, but what was your process to arrive at those figures? Did you already have spacers? I'm going in blind and ordering wheels before my X5 even arrives.

Our rears aren't too far off, 5.6mm difference, but now I'm thinking of adjusting my fronts since there's a 8.0mm difference. Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #17
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

I went off specs used by Bforbrian and posts from another board member who went larger in rim size and more aggressive offset. I won’t know for sure until I put them on but I went more conservative than Bforbrian on his last set (currently for sale).

Teaser
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
915M88.00
      08-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #18
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Wheels arrived however only 2 were left at my door. Opened a case with FedEx because there should be four.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:15 PM   #19
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wheels arrived however only 2 were left at my door. Opened a case with FedEx because there should be four.
Ugh that sucks, def a FedEx issue and not West Forged. I hope they can get it sorted out fairly quick.

Those are going to look mean, more rugged/off-road style, very cool.

I'm ready to pull the trigger with WF on a custom design but was kinda waiting until yours were on. Don't know if i can wait any longer ha. I'm going to revise my offsets and push both out a little more(5mm each) slightly less than yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #20
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Spoke with FEdEX. They only received 2 of the 4 packages from WF. Incredibly frustrating. To their credit the shipping 1 day priority but come on, 2 wheels only?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 06:38 PM   #21
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post
Ugh that sucks, def a FedEx issue and not West Forged. I hope they can get it sorted out fairly quick.

Those are going to look mean, more rugged/off-road style, very cool.

I'm ready to pull the trigger with WF on a custom design but was kinda waiting until yours were on. Don't know if i can wait any longer ha. I'm going to revise my offsets and push both out a little more(5mm each) slightly less than yours.
That’s the look I’m going for!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:05 AM   #22
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Unboxing pics..

Each wheel came double boxed and wrappped with some light foam. Finish is exactly as I wanted, Satin, and the wheels are relatively light or lighter than I had expected. Will employ a scale tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0