BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i,2016 Mini Cooper S

2020 X5 40i Ordered

After being bummed to learn the X5 45e US launch is deprioritized and expected to launch after 3 series hybrid , I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 40i. I have come to terms with getting a gasoline car and I can hardly wait to take the delivery.

This forum has been really helpful in making some decisions. Thank you for being in every step of the way!

The car is built as given below:

Exterior color: Carbon Black
Interior color: Cognac Vernasca Leather

Wheels:
21" M Wheel

Packages:
M Sport
Executive
Divers Assistance Professional
Luxury Seating

Added Options:
Acoustic Glass
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Harman Kardon Surround Sound
Heated Front Seats Armrests and Steering Wheel
M Sport Brakes

The car was supposed to be built in March production cycle but as of 02/24 the vehicle has entered the production queue and the status says "Production begins". It's been in this status for 2 days now. Do we know the typical timelines for each status? How long has the production taken for cars ordered in recent past? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

P.S: I have stopped looking at the status every 5 mins... LOL

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1215
Size:  159.5 KB
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      02-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Congrats, my wife and I just ordered ours last Saturday. We ordered a fully loaded Tanzanite x40i. I was told it would take 6 weeks due to our color choice and my build is on it’s second check box as of today.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

i just picked up my car this past Monday. it was ordered Feb.2 so it was done pretty quickly. the BMW site was not very useful at all. Once it hit "entered production" it stayed there for almost 2 weeks. next thing it said was awaiting carrier, and then next day it was at dealer.
Appreciate 2
M40i4me1014.50
AB1713.50
      02-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Congrats, my wife and I just ordered ours last Saturday. We ordered a fully loaded Tanzanite x40i. I was told it would take 6 weeks due to our color choice and my build is on it’s second check box as of today.
Congratulations! Tanzanite is a great color. I was debating if I should Tanzanite or Carbon Black for a while and I leaned toward darker shade of blue.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      02-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
i just picked up my car this past Monday. it was ordered Feb.2 so it was done pretty quickly. the BMW site was not very useful at all. Once it hit "entered production" it stayed there for almost 2 weeks. next thing it said was awaiting carrier, and then next day it was at dealer.
Well, thats relieving to hear. Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying driving it.

My SA told me it will take around 6 to 7 weeks. I dont know if there is anything in the my build (acoustic glass may be?) that could take extra time. He said there is nothing standing out.

I am interested to know the details of your build to look for a pattern. Please share them if you can.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB17 View Post
Quote:
Well, thats relieving to hear. Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying driving it.

My SA told me it will take around 6 to 7 weeks. I dont know if there is anything in the my build (acoustic glass may be?) that could take extra time. He said there is nothing standing out.

I am interested to know the details of your build to look for a pattern. Please share them if you can.
I don't believe you can make any revision to your build at this point without delaying your deliver date. Your selections look good so obviously you did your "homework".
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I don't believe you can make any revision to your build at this point without delaying your deliver date. Your selections look good so obviously you did your "homework".
No, I am not planning to make any changes. I am happy with my build. Just trying to understand if there is a rhyme or reason to production times.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No, I am not planning to make any changes. I am happy with my build. Just trying to understand if there is a rhyme or reason to production times.
From production starts to completion typically takes 3-4 weeks. From in production to completion takes about a week. The process speeds up quickly at the end and estimated completion dates are fairly accurate with a few days. BTW, checking status every 15 minutes, a common occurrence, doesn't speed up the process but doesn't slow it down either. Biggest unknown in production is getting an allocation but your well beyond that variable. At this point you should have a production week and should be able to estimate the week it will be at your dealer. If a PCD, add two weeks to delivery from completion date. If o/s USA a fellow countryman should be able to estimate shipment time. If your taking delivery towards the end of the month its worthwhile to consider upside of waiting a few days to take delivery after programs are updated.
Good luck with delivery. Your going to love everything about the new vehicle.
Appreciate 1
AB1713.50
      02-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From production starts to completion typically takes 3-4 weeks. From in production to completion takes about a week. The process speeds up quickly at the end and estimated completion dates are fairly accurate with a few days. BTW, checking status every 15 minutes, a common occurrence, doesn't speed up the process but doesn't slow it down either. Biggest unknown in production is getting an allocation but your well beyond that variable. At this point you should have a production week and should be able to estimate the week it will be at your dealer. If a PCD, add two weeks to delivery from completion date. If o/s USA a fellow countryman should be able to estimate shipment time. If your taking delivery towards the end of the month its worthwhile to consider upside of waiting a few days to take delivery after programs are updated.
This is very insightful. I was checking the status often to see how it will move. Part of it is also the excitement that the production has begun. I did not opt for PCD - based on what you said, I have saved some time.

I did not quite understand your first two statements. Did you mean from "Production begins" to "Ready for transport" it takes 3 -4 weeks?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This is very insightful. I was checking the status often to see how it will move. Part of it is also the excitement that the production has begun. I did not opt for PCD - based on what you said, I have saved some time.

I did not quite understand your first two statements. Did you mean from "Production begins" to "Ready for transport" it takes 3 -4 weeks?
I don't have access to the production site with the bullets so I don't recall all the terminology. I recall it will sit at the third bullet for a few weeks and then when it enters production it's done within a week. The site BTW, is typically a few days late so your cars further along than you assume. I believe from where you are now until the car enters production they are staging all the components and then welding the frame, painting, etc. What production week do you have? That is the week your car will be completed. From completion to getting assigned to a carrier takes 1-2 days and then 3-5 days for delivery to east coast, a bit longer for west coast.

Hope this site is helpful; https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Here's my spec:

40i Msport
Mineral white
20" wheels (I know, i know but I live on L.I./NY)
Black extended merino leather
Multi-contour/luxury seats
anthracite-brown poplar trim
Premium package
spare
remote start
2 axle air
heated seats/steering/armrest (not really sure about this one)
leather dash
laser lights
alcantara headliner
extended shadowline trim
HK
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have access to the production site with the bullets so I don't recall all the terminology. I recall it will sit at the third bullet for a few weeks and then when it enters production it's done within a week. The site BTW, is typically a few days late so your cars further along than you assume. I believe from where you are now until the car enters production they are staging all the components and then welding the frame, painting, etc. What production week do you have? That is the week your car will be completed. From completion to getting assigned to a carrier takes 1-2 days and then 3-5 days for delivery to east coast, a bit longer for west coast.

Hope this site is helpful; https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...63&postcount=1
Thanks for sharing the link. It was helpful. If I try to compare "Production Begins" on My BMW to the link, it is in "150 - Production Started" which it could be completed fairly quickly based on the given timelines.

In this day and age, I would assume the statuses are updated from the production line in real-time but looks like that's not the case.

My SA told me that vehicle has "build date of 03/07". I am not sure if that means the start or the completion. I am hoping it is completion since it entered "Production begins" status on 02/24. Also does "Priority: 1-Customer Sold" on the order form means it has higher priority than others or is it just a customer ordered vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's my spec:

40i Msport
Mineral white
20" wheels (I know, i know but I live on L.I./NY)
Black extended merino leather
Multi-contour/luxury seats
anthracite-brown poplar trim
Premium package
spare
remote start
2 axle air
heated seats/steering/armrest (not really sure about this one)
leather dash
laser lights
alcantara headliner
extended shadowline trim
HK
You went for the stormtrooper! Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #14
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this site is helpful; https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=1
Thanks for sharing the link. It was helpful. If I try to compare "Production Begins" on My BMW to the link, it is in "150 - Production Started" which it could be completed fairly quickly based on the given timelines.

In this day and age, I would assume the statuses are updated from the production line in real-time but looks like that's not the case.

My SA told me that vehicle has "build date of 03/07". I am not sure if that means the start or the completion. I am hoping it is completion since it entered "Production begins" status on 02/24. Also does "Priority: 1-Customer Sold" on the order form means it has higher priority than others or is it just a customer ordered vehicle?
Priority 1 is a customer order which is higher priority vs a dealer order. Your best source for status info is the 800 BMW genius number. I don't trust much of what a SA tells me until I can confirm with an independent source. Besides, the SA has access to the same information as you. If you have a build date of 3/7 it will be completed within a couple days of that date. Things will speed up quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Priority 1 is a customer order which is higher priority vs a dealer order. Your best source for status info is the 800 BMW genius number. I don't trust much of what a SA tells me until I can confirm with an independent source. Besides, the SA has access to the same information as you. If you have a build date of 3/7 it will be completed within a couple days of that date. Things will speed up quickly.
If the date 3/7 is build completion date then the SA contradicted himself in the same email . He should be knowing about these things. Anyway, I will call BMW Genius. Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #16
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If the date 3/7 is build completion date then the SA contradicted himself in the same email . He should be knowing about these things. Anyway, I will call BMW Genius. Thanks for all the help.
From the SA perspective, your a "done deal". He's focused on the next customer beating him up for a 12% discount because someone on this forum mentioned that it's attainable. Work with the BMW genius following the production status of your vehicle and then reestablish communication with your SA for coordinating delivery and pickup. I didn't spend more than 5 minutes with my SA when I picked up mine: most of my time was with the dealer genius getting the car programmed (for phone, garage opener, music, etc) and signing papers with finance manager.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #17
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the SA perspective, your a "done deal". He's focused on the next customer beating him up for a 12% discount because someone on this forum mentioned that it's attainable. Work with the BMW genius following the production status of your vehicle and then reestablish communication with your SA for coordinating delivery and pickup. I didn't spend more than 5 minutes with my SA when I picked up mine: most of my time was with the dealer genius getting the car programmed (for phone, garage opener, music, etc) and signing papers with finance manager.
Makes sense
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense
I suggest you start turning your attention to how you want delivery to proceed. A delivery during the week might be less rushed so advise the dealer genius (through your SA) that you'll want two hours of his time. Plan on spending at least 30 minutes with the finance man and decide beforehand which, if any, of his packages (extended warranty/ tire protection/ etc.) you want. Some are negotiable and some can be purchased later. The packages can be pricy and you don't want to make those decisions without some thought.
If you plan to bring your new vehicle for detailing and paint protection, I suggest you ask dealer not to clean/wash the outside of the vehicle. (I asked mine not to wash but they did).

Keep us informed how your production is advancing. We'll also want photos with your big smile as you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I suggest you start turning your attention to how you want delivery to proceed. A delivery during the week might be less rushed so advise the dealer genius (through your SA) that you'll want two hours of his time. Plan on spending at least 30 minutes with the finance man and decide beforehand which, if any, of his packages (extended warranty/ tire protection/ etc.) you want. Some are negotiable and some can be purchased later. The packages can be pricy and you don't want to make those decisions without some thought.
If you plan to bring your new vehicle for detailing and paint protection, I suggest you ask dealer not to clean/wash the outside of the vehicle. (I asked mine not to wash but they did).

Keep us informed how your production is advancing. We'll also want photos with your big smile as you take delivery.
I think I should get the extended warranty but I dont know if I should get it now. They always say the prices could go up if I get it later. I don't see a need for tire protection plan. What other back end products are necessary?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #20
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think I should get the extended warranty but I dont know if I should get it now. They always say the prices could go up if I get it later. I don't see a need for tire protection plan. What other back end products are necessary?
I did't get the tire package or the extended warranted as we put few miles on our cars (6K/Year), were not overly aggressive drivers (never had a moving violation in 50 years of driving), we have all service done by the manufacturer when due, we live in an area with little snow, we can afford a major repair/replace a tire and the roads we drive on are in good shape. I accept we're self insured. If your going to get, the only advantage I see getting at delivery is you can finance the premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
AB17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did't get the tire package or the extended warranted as we put few miles on our cars (6K/Year), were not overly aggressive drivers (never had a moving violation in 50 years of driving), we have all service done by the manufacturer when due, we live in an area with little snow, we can afford a major repair/replace a tire and the roads we drive on are in good shape. I accept we're self insured. If your going to get, the only advantage I see getting at delivery is you can finance the premium.
I may not get the tire protection plan but I will get the extended warranty. I will try to negotiate on the prices.

I heard from some owners that the air suspension is a bit bouncy even in comfort mode. They say M Adaptive suspension is better than AS. Has anyone had a different experience? Especially with 21" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #22
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

check prices on the warranty from different dealers. Also, check with 3rd party like Fidelity. The finance person i dealt with when i picked up my car even admitted how expensive BMW was for the warranty
Appreciate 0