BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #111
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Yeah, really got sick of the cloudy grey days in SW PA. We were in Washington County just south of Pgh. Most winters were relatively mild compared to upper midwest, Canada, etc., but always overcast and grey, very depressing.
Where we live now is literally another world.
Come for a Holiday, many cool Tiki Bars, I'll buy ya some beers.
I’d love too. Problem is I don’t want to go back home. I would emigrate to the US in a heartbeat
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #112
hotvee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
The decision to ditch the old HVAC controls was made in 2017. Inflation started to go up in mid-2021 when both were already being produced or at least all the tooling/parts/etc was long completed.

It's just another attempt to find a comforting explanation for something people don't like or can't understand. Of course now you are pointing to those two buttons specifically even though you were clearly referring to the screen/HVAC design in your original post. You even added a picture of an interior with a big screen for good measure but hey ... Gotta find that comforting narrative, amirite?
The specific decision that the G05 LCI would not have hvac buttons was not made in 2017. It was only decided that the trend would be to get rid of them eventually. What do you refer to by the word old? Hvac controls in G05 weren't old when it came out in 2018. Plus, BMW has experience pairing different hvac control panels with the same infotainment system, for example, as was the case with iDrive 7 (compare G30 and G05 preLCI). Also, it does not take five years to produce all the necessary parts in sufficient volume for start and production; R&D in the modern world also works faster, if you have a five-year time lag between the development and launch of hvac controls along with its UI - you are behind the times. Look at the test model of G05 LCI in 2022 with ID8 - both the buttons and the new infotainment get along quite well. So there were all the possibilities to leave the buttons in the new or old implementations.

You don't put the revolutionary changes on your top selling models first, the pioneers of the ID8 design (i4 and iX) were collecting feedback, and if not covid and inflation, minor changes would have been possible for G05 LCI. But in conditions when you need to cut corners, reduce the cost of production and you have a shortage of chips, you will discard any thoughts about certain modifications that will increase the cost of the design. It is absurd, at a minimum, to say that covid and inflation did not cause any impact on decisions within the company regarding the launch of the G05 restyling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
People being overly confident about why BMW did something, finding comforting narratives, while actually having no clue is exhausting. In fact we have a word for it in German that I think has no real english equivalent: "Fremdschämen".

I personally barely used both the ACC distance and the steering wheel heating buttons. I thought I would be bothered by the ACC buttons missing but actually don't mind them being gone, now that I'm using this design myself. Maybe BMW realized this and decided to ditch them. I don't know for sure but I also don't care.
There is no attempt here to find a comfortable narrative. I rely on facts and logic to reach my conclusions. Read again what I wrote in all my posts in this topic, do your research, provide valid counterarguments - then you and I will have a constructive discussion. But it turns out that when it’s convenient for you, you’re confident in something, and when you’re not, you suddenly don’t care.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #113
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Well for one When your fingers are cold, or when that screen freezes up, not working, there’s no access
They should have a heated touch screen for this.... for us folks up north. But a dilemma... where to put the control for the heated touch screen... Mechanical button or on the touch screen ??!! 🤔
FLYZ100.50
      10-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #114
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Yeah, concealed carry here perfectly legal as it should be for non felons etc. Lots of truth to FL being considered a "free state".
Sweet, I can't carry anything I own. Only on the range and that is also very strict regulated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #115
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Sweet, I can't carry anything I own. Only on the range and that is also very strict regulated.
What I hate most about the HVAC on the LCI is how loud it is. I originally blamed it on the thinned-out vents on the dashboard (i blamed it on an aesthetics over functionality decision)... but after turning them off, I've come to learn that it's the vents at the windshield making all the noise! The problem with iDrive 8.0 is that you can't turn off the noisy windshield vents. It looks like you can control them with iDrive 8.5 however... so the latest update can't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #116
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Bottomline is opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and some stink
Seriously? Disagree with another's opinion and all you can call out is the age old adage on everyone has an opinion (albeit a slightly better worded version) but still the negative twist?

I have both, i.e., iD7 and iD8. There are some total pros to iD8, e.g., being able to record several backup assistant recordings vs iD8 just the last time parked. I see the good and bad in both but any time I call out a negative with iD8 my opinion stinks? That's just completely juvenile.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 03:36 PM   #117
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Seriously? Disagree with another's opinion and all you can call out is the age old adage on everyone has an opinion (albeit a slightly better worded version) but still the negative twist?

I have both, i.e., iD7 and iD8. There are some total pros to iD8, e.g., being able to record several backup assistant recordings vs iD8 just the last time parked. I see the good and bad in both but any time I call out a negative with iD8 my opinion stinks? That's just completely juvenile.
I think you missed the context and humor of his post.
FLYZ100.50
      10-19-2023, 03:55 PM   #118
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think you missed the context and humor of his post.
Agreed and it is just often hard to distinguish between the jest vs a true statement of an opinion. Hey, it's social media so I will always call out a jest (but other posts for context) but forever in a politically correct way.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 10:23 AM   #119
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
That is ID8.5. Most people still have ID8. Thankfully at some point BMW realized the hvac controls were complete shit and changed them.
That's the funniest part about this whole debate--even BMW recognized that the HVAC controls sucked, because they already changed them.
      10-20-2023, 10:51 AM   #120
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
The real world is out of Florida, because their weather is the same all the time Been to Florida many times don’t think I want to live there to hot 🥵
40% of the worlds population lives in the tropics. Quite a few people not in "The real world".
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #121
PeteMoss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWholeBimmer View Post
For me, having a "button", knob, or switch comes down to two main points... How important is the item being controlled by the button, and how often might I need to control this function.

I think most of us would agree, that we probably would not want a mechanical control to set the lift height of the tailgate, or the intensity or color of the ambient lighting. For me, those items are not important, and once set, don't need to be changed that often.

On the other spectrum, most users (or me anyways) would like to keep the mechanical controls for say the wipers, or lights. Now one could say that once they are set (auto wipers, auto lights) that you don't need to touch them, true... but the importance of the functions they control are so important, that auto settings or not, I want a mechanical control for those functions...same as for the emergency hazard lights switch.

For me, HVAC controls fall somewhere in between wipers and ambient lighting controls as far as "importance", ... but just like wipers and lights, as far as frequency of use (often) , I prefer to have mechanical controls.

Those that prefer to have HVAC controls on the touch screen, would probably also approve of moving the lighting and wipers controls there as well..
Nothing wrong with that, just not for me yet...
What he said.
Appreciate 0