BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #89
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

So what's the final final build? It's hard to keep up with all the mind changing :P
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      05-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #90
BaggedDevil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

After reading this thread it makes me sad because I purchased my 980ti when it came out and now I want the new 1080ti.
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      05-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #91
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedDevil View Post
After reading this thread it makes me sad because I purchased my 980ti when it came out and now I want the new 1080ti.
Don't worry I'll be sad when you get the new card coming out at the end of the year!
      05-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #92
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
So what's the final final build? It's hard to keep up with all the mind changing :P
Here it is! My goal was a build under $2k.

I'll also be moving over my hdd and sata ssd.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Xtabi/saved/Fz2wP6

Case arrives tomorrow at around noon. It's the final component! Thanks again for all the help!

I'll post up pics and whatnot when I get everything setup.

Then we can move into benchmark topics. I have not done that in eons. It would be cool to benchmark current vs new. Any suggestions???
      05-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #93
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post

Case arrives tomorrow at around noon. It's the final component! Thanks again for all the help!

Then we can move into benchmark topics. I have not done that in eons. It would be cool to benchmark current vs new. Any suggestions???
Awesome. I'm really tempted to switch out my memory modules for the ones you got. The lighting on my Corsair Dominator are very lackluster and leaves much to be desired.
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      05-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #94
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack attack View Post
Quote:

Awesome. I'm really tempted to switch out my memory modules for the ones you got. The lighting on my Corsair Dominator are very lackluster and leaves much to be desired.
I originally had the dominator sticks on my build list until I learned about aura on my Asus mobo. Then I saw some videos on YouTube of the rgbs..... VERY awesome!
      05-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #95
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
I originally had the dominator sticks on my build list until I learned about aura on my Asus mobo. Then I saw some videos on YouTube of the rgbs..... VERY awesome!
Haha yeah.

I wonder how it looks when it's set to white. My current theme is black, white, and nickel.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #96
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

My wife recently got into playing the game Overwatch, so I decided that that was a great excuse to start a new build! This way, we will both have our own desktop PC's. Previously, she never had a need for a desktop since she used her MBP for leisure/professional purposes, nor did she play any video games haha.

I've compiled a list with actual prices paid per part, to include shipping and tax where applicable. Can't wait for everything to get here and start assembling! Definitely excited about doing a mini-ITX build this time around.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kamber/saved/cYwbvK

* Bought the GPU lightly used locally
* Bought the CPU cooler lightly used off eBay
* Bought the 4x case fans lightly used off eBay
* Bought the case itself as an open-box item from Amazon Warehouse Deals
* Bought the OS activation key off a member on [H]ardforum
* Mouse is being repossessed from my brother, who no longer uses it
* Monitor is being repossessed from my brother, who no longer uses it

Last edited by kamber; 05-11-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      05-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #97
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
My wife recently got into playing the game Overwatch, so I decided that that was a great excuse to start a new build! This way, we will both have our own desktop PC's. Previously, she never had a need for a desktop since she used her MBP for leisure/professional purposes, nor did she play any video games haha.

I've compiled a list with actual prices paid per part, to include shipping and tax where applicable. Can't wait for everything to get here and start assembling!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kamber/saved/cYwbvK

* Bought the GPU lightly used locally
* Bought the CPU cooler lightly used off eBay
* Bought the 4x case fans lightly used off eBay
* Bought the case itself as an open-box item from Amazon Warehouse Deals
* Bought the OS activation key off a member on [H]ardforum
* Mouse is being repossessed from my brother, who no longer uses it
* Monitor is being repossessed from my brother, who no longer uses it
Nice! You lucky dog getting the free stuff!

One thing to note is the pcparts website is throwing a compatibility warning. I'm sure you saw it...but just in case (no pun intended lol)...

------

Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler and Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible.

------

Judging by the price of the CPU it looks like you may have gone the Micro Center route for the mobo + cpu combo deal. I love that place! In fact in was there four times last week and two this week. Lol

I saw a local (and national I suppose) youtube celebrity on Saturday in there buying a ton of gear.

And thanks for the reminder on the fact you can enter prices manually. I'll need to go back and do that.
      05-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #98
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha yeah.

I wonder how it looks when it's set to white. My current theme is black, white, and nickel.
I bet those dominators look awesome with that pallet.
      05-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #99
kamber
E90
Rep

Quote:
Nice! You lucky dog getting the free stuff!

One thing to note is the pcparts website is throwing a compatibility warning. I'm sure you saw it...but just in case (no pun intended lol)...

------

Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler and Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible.

------

Judging by the price of the CPU it looks like you may have gone the Micro Center route for the mobo + cpu combo deal. I love that place! In fact in was there for times last week and two this week. Lol

I saw a local (and national I suppose) youtube celebrity on Saturday in there buying a ton of gear.
Thanks for the heads up! I've already done the research to ensure that it will clear the case without issue, so long as one of the two 150mm fans included with the CPU cooler is swapped out for a 120mm fan; the additional Noctua NF-F12 PWM was purchased for this purpose.

I actually did not go to MicroCenter for anything, as they do not have a physical store in my state, and the vast majority of the items that they sell are available exclusively through in-store-pickup. However, even if there was a MicroCenter in WA, I would not have went through them since the 10.08% state sales tax here would have completely negated any price advantages that were to be had and then some. It is unfortunate, because their prices truly are rock bottom compared to the competition! It would be awesome to be able to shop at a MicroCenter in a state without sales tax, hehe.

I bought the CPU from a well-regarded, high-volume eBay seller as a sealed, BNIB retail unit. I made sure to confirm that it was a retail unit/serial number and not an OEM unit/serial number for warranty purposes.

The motherboard was purchased from Newegg, which included an activation key for the new game "Dawn of War III" thanks to one of the current promotions ASUS is running. I'm expecting to be able to sell the key for $30-$35, though I did not figure that into the price I entered on PCPP list.

What's funny is that I placed the order for the CPU and SSD yesterday, and then saw this today: https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-770...gb-m2.1933628/

I'm definitely one lucky bastard for being able to grab such a GREAT display from my brother. He actually doesn't use it anymore because he recently moved and didn't want to bring it with him for risk of damaging it in transit combined with him not really having the time to play video games anymore.

Prior to that though, I did find this gem:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10009052-ac...1hu-499-costco

Truly a great deal for a 27", 1440p, IPS, 165hz, G-SYNC, 4ms display! I was dismayed when I checked with the 3 Costco locations nearest to where I live only to find out that they were completely sold out already, but then I lucked out superbly afterall thanks brother's generosity haha. I highly suggest anyone that is looking for a solid display check with their local Costco to see if any stock is left, as these regularly go for $750+ from online retailers.

Last edited by kamber; 05-11-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #100
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
I bet those dominators look awesome with that pallet.
My only complaint is the brightness of the lights. Wish they were brighter so it matches the rest of the lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #101
BaggedDevil
United_States
Rep

ALthough this has nothing to do with the build but is anyone playing that new Playerunknown game??
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:24 AM   #102
kamber
E90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedDevil View Post
ALthough this has nothing to do with the build but is anyone playing that new Playerunknown game??
I'm about to check it out. Downloaded 2 days ago, havn't tried it yet though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #103
BaggedDevil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
I'm about to check it out. Downloaded 2 days ago, havn't tried it yet though.
I have quite a bit of friends who play it. Extremely addicting and is actually fun if you dig that style. Definitely recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #104
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Rehashing this old thread to share my joy - I just got a great deal on an OBU EVGA 1080 Ti SC2! Still tuning the fan curves for optimal thermals/performance but so far I am smitten.

And so, my MSI 1080 Gaming X is now back on sale for $425 shipped in CONUS! Lmk if you'd like to snatch it up.

-Ash
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      06-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #105
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Rehashing this old thread to share my joy - I just got a great deal on an OBU EVGA 1080 Ti SC2! Still tuning the fan curves for optimal thermals/performance but so far I am smitten.

And so, my MSI 1080 Gaming X is now back on sale for $425 shipped in CONUS! Lmk if you'd like to snatch it up.

-Ash
Get on quake champions!
      07-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #106
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is the final build...
Attached Images

07-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #107
3 Stripes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine white F30

Quote:
What was the grand total
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #108
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Stripes View Post
Quote:
What was the grand total
Honestly I did not keep tabs. I just got the best deal on each component avalible at the time of purchase. For example the cpu/mobo combo from Micro Center.

On a related note Micro Center has phenomenal deals on many components and will price match Amazon and Newegg.

I picked up two iPads there yesterday for $299 apiece. Apple and everywhere else...$329.
      07-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #109
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Damn that looks like it's gonna be a sweet setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #110
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn that looks like it's gonna be a sweet setup.
It has been overkill for quake champions lol.