BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Traffic Ticket Attorney in SC?

Posting here vs. regional forum since it was somewhat close to Spartanburg, where out of state BMW driver's may have visited...

Live in FL. Got a speeding ticket in Newberry, SC (between Spartanburg and Columbia) on I-26. Has anyone had experience with a ticket attorney in this general area they would recommend? Also is anyone aware if SC and FL have a nonresident agreement such that points from tickets in SC impact FL license / insurance rates? (Researching these topics myself but thought I would ask if anyone had a similar experience / suggestions.)

Finally, my 9500ix didn't pick up the laser they said they used. I know it is just an alert indicating speed already captured but thought it was odd I didn't hear the normal "Laser Alert". (Nobody using Waze in the area either, apparently.). Anyone else get hit with laser and no indication from a 9500ix? (Even if I had a laser system on my car it wouldn't have helped as I was driving my wife's SUV.) Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
      06-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

here is what you need to know about the tickets points transferring, Yes SC points transfer to FL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact.

On the laser, did he get your form the front or backside, if backside you were screwed from the start. V1 is the only one with rear facing Laser. and you're correct if you get the warning you're screwed. Jammers are the only solution for Laser.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      06-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Can't help you with the ticket but I can tell you a lot of times my Belscort detectors do not pick up laser. This has been confirmed to many times during laser jammer testing. The V1 is the best at picking up laser but you already know it's useless for that anyway.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      06-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
here is what you need to know about the tickets points transferring, Yes SC points transfer to FL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact.

On the laser, did he get your form the front or backside, if backside you were screwed from the start. V1 is the only one with rear facing Laser. and you're correct if you get the warning you're screwed. Jammers are the only solution for Laser.
Front. It was a speed trap. 2 other cars pulled over while I was waiting for the ticket. One cop hiding in an on-ramp sending others out after cars. (These were local police, not troopers, which I also found interesting since it was an interstate.). Agree jammers are only solution but odd not to even get the alert.
      06-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

In California, I was able to beat a speeding ticket by postponing my court date a couple of times, insuring the cop doesn't show so my case is dismissed. Great way to avoid paying a ticket and no insurance rate hike or expensive traffic school! Also no attorney required.
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7555.50
fbsm743.00
nyalpine907423.50
      06-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
In California, I was able to beat a speeding ticket by postponing my court date a couple of times, insuring the cop doesn't show so my case is dismissed. Great way to avoid paying a ticket and no insurance rate hike or expensive traffic school! Also no attorney required.
I lived in Calif, and this does work sometimes and other times it backfires since many times the officer is on ticket duty all the time they are at court all the time as well so they just schedule when he is there. If this happen and the judge sees you played the delay game they usually never give you a break.

I just did traffic school and the person who taught mine was a CHP office and he had great stories. He even share what kind of driving activities bring you to their attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Front. It was a speed trap. 2 other cars pulled over while I was waiting for the ticket. One cop hiding in an on-ramp sending others out after cars. (These were local police, not troopers, which I also found interesting since it was an interstate.). Agree jammers are only solution but odd not to even get the alert.
I am not 100% familiar with the 9500ix, however, at present I am not aware of any laser which does not set off any radar detectors. Even close up the beam spread is wide enough to paint most of the car. The few places I travel which use laser my V1 has gone off even when they paint the car in front of me.

I am guessing they did hit you, they tagged someone else you were close enough to them and they figure they would grab you as well. I know going into court and saying your RD did not warn is not a defense.

I know in NC you can not fight your ticket without a lawyer, my brother-in-law who happen to be a lawyer got a ticket in NC and decided to fight it since he know it was scam at the time. He show up at court and was asked if he had a lawyer and said he was a lawyer, but was not license to practice in NC even though he Graduated from Duke Law School. They told him he need someone to represent him, so he awake outside ask another lawyer to rep him, and when back in and basically got the ticket reduce no points and paid a fine. The southern states make it hard to fight and win tickets.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      06-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I am not 100% familiar with the 9500ix, however, at present I am not aware of any laser which does not set off any radar detectors. Even close up the beam spread is wide enough to paint most of the car. The few places I travel which use laser my V1 has gone off even when they paint the car in front of me.

I am guessing they did hit you, they tagged someone else you were close enough to them and they figure they would grab you as well. I know going into court and saying your RD did not warn is not a defense.

I know in NC you can not fight your ticket without a lawyer, my brother-in-law who happen to be a lawyer got a ticket in NC and decided to fight it since he know it was scam at the time. He show up at court and was asked if he had a lawyer and said he was a lawyer, but was not license to practice in NC even though he Graduated from Duke Law School. They told him he need someone to represent him, so he awake outside ask another lawyer to rep him, and when back in and basically got the ticket reduce no points and paid a fine. The southern states make it hard to fight and win tickets.
what a freakin joke this country's legal system is when you can't represent yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well I'd definitely need an attorney since I am back in South Florida now and won't go back to SC for traffic court. I found a couple of SC ticket attorneys online I plan to call.

As far as the 9500ix it has definitely gone off in the past from laser, which is why I was surprised. Yeah saying radar detector didn't go off not a solid defense - just a point of interest.
      06-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I lived in Calif, and this does work sometimes and other times it backfires since many times the officer is on ticket duty all the time they are at court all the time as well so they just schedule when he is there. If this happen and the judge sees you played the delay game they usually never give you a break.

I just did traffic school and the person who taught mine was a CHP office and he had great stories. He even share what kind of driving activities bring you to their attention.
I've had this work more than once, so the odds are favorable it will work most of the time. The cops tend to schedule all their cases on the same day and get them done all at once, so if you postpone they don't want to bother just for one ticket. The way I see it, I don't have anything to lose so might as well try and beat the ticket. Traffic school is quite expensive these days, last time I fought the ticket had I done traffic school instead it would have cost over $60 in addition to the cost of the ticket. Also, if the cops are out giving tickets rather than spending half the day in court waiting for the case to come up it really isn't worth it for one ticket vs. several. One time I postponed the case to almost a year later than the date of the ticket. By the time of my case, the cop had retired lol so obviously wasn't going to be there.

Last edited by bimmer456; 06-14-2017 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:

If ticket lawyers use my method they will win most of their cases and client fees. I've heard of the ticket clinic which charges something like $200 flat fee. I can do it for free. Pretty lame you can't represent yourself I've never heard of that in any court, it's like requiring dealers to sell cars, a total scam created by government lobbyists and corrupt politicians.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
what a freakin joke this country's legal system is when you can't represent yourself.
6th Amendment guarantees it (as interpreted by Supreme Court decisions)! The judge might have just been strongly suggesting he get a licensed attorney.

Last edited by infinitekidM2C; 06-14-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I found a SC ticket attorney online and texted him the ticket this a.m. We'll see how that goes.
      06-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Please share some details - I personally believe that most of the tickets start this way, not purely via radar, so always looking for more input to stay off the hit list.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Please share some details - I personally believe that most of the tickets start this way, not purely via radar, so always looking for more input to stay off the hit list.
I haven't gotten a ticket while driving my bimmer, in fact the cops give me the thumbs up. Maybe they can see on their computer that all my cases are dismissed so they don't bother any more or they're into bimmers so I get a pass. I'm not breaking any laws most of the time though escpecially when cops are around but I'll do the occasional low speed pull on a crown vic or a Ford Interceptor SUV from time to time staying below the speed limit. My last couple of moving violations were actually for stop signs and no left turn. I would argue the stop sign one was bogus.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The delay tactic has worked for me in the past (waaay past) but this scheme sounds like a local-government moneymaker, and I doubt they go to all that trouble to let tickets flush out of the system that easily.

Last edited by Maynard; 06-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 1
wdb4715.00
      06-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
6th Amendment guarantees it (as interpreted by Supreme Court decisions)! The judge might have just been strongly suggesting he get a licensed attorney.
Have you even been in a kangaroo traffic court in this country. Most of these courts do not even have a judge sitting on the bench who has any sort of legal background. As it has been explain to me, since there is no risk of jail time for a traffic ticket you are not afford the all the rights guarantee under the constitution and amendments. Up to the judges discretion.

In PA you go to a magistrate court to fight your ticket and they are very loose with the rules. I had personally fought tickets in PA and won most of them. The magistrate is not interested in rule or law or any thing about evidence and what can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. It is mostly the officer said and he is trustworthy and everyone else is a liar so you are guilty. Every once in a while you get magistrate who is interested in the actual facts. One time the officer was a no show and the judge still tried to hold the hearing with a fill in officer reading the ticket. I had to remind him I had a right to confront my accusers and almost got fine for contempt of court since I interrupt the officers testimony. I won the case, but the magistrate was not happy about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The delay tactic has worked for me in the past (waaay past) but this scheme sounds like a local-government moneymaker, and I doubt they go to all that trouble to let tickets flush out of the system that easily.
I think I'm the only one that's doing it in my area, most people are paying the ticket to get rid of it (I've spoken with others while in court). The cost of bothering with my ticket is more than going out and giving out ten more, they make more money that way. If everyone did what I did then they would close that loophole. Not really worth it as of now.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3831.50
      06-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
First, this is primary true for Calif can not say it is true elsewhere and it only apply to CHP. CHP generally are not looking for speeders, as long as everyone is travelling at the same speed even 10 or 15 over it is fine. They focus on reckless driving activities. Lane changers, tailgaters, slow driver, stop sign and red light runners. Calif is known for the rolling stop sign stops so they watch for this and I have seen more people get tagged for this. I got a ticket for missing a stop sign, was in a unfamiliar area and was looking for where I needed to turn and missed the stop sign.

The other big thing is seatbelts, since many CHP rid Motorcycles they come up behind you and can look in the window and see if you're wearing a seatbelt. There is no mistaking it and I use to see people get pulled over for this all the time.

The only time CHP seem to be ticketing for speeding is at night, when roads are clear and most people tend to want to drive fast.

When I took my class only one person in the class was ticketed for speeding everyone had done something else.

In most states the highway patrol mission is to write speeding tickets so that is all they do.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-15-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3831.50
      06-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well I'd definitely need an attorney since I am back in South Florida now and won't go back to SC for traffic court. I found a couple of SC ticket attorneys online I plan to call.

As far as the 9500ix it has definitely gone off in the past from laser, which is why I was surprised. Yeah saying radar detector didn't go off not a solid defense - just a point of interest.
Look on the ticket what Laser unit did they use, also they should have recorded the distance they hit you at if that is missing the lawyer should be able to get it thrown out. If it is over 1500 ft they could have completely missed your car and the beam spread it like 10 ft at that point and the detector may not have gone off.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Have you even been in a kangaroo traffic court in this country. Most of these courts do not even have a judge sitting on the bench who has any sort of legal background. As it has been explain to me, since there is no risk of jail time for a traffic ticket you are not afford the all the rights guarantee under the constitution and amendments. Up to the judges discretion.

In PA you go to a magistrate court to fight your ticket and they are very loose with the rules. I had personally fought tickets in PA and won most of them. The magistrate is not interested in rule or law or any thing about evidence and what can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. It is mostly the officer said and he is trustworthy and everyone else is a liar so you are guilty. Every once in a while you get magistrate who is interested in the actual facts. One time the officer was a no show and the judge still tried to hold the hearing with a fill in officer reading the ticket. I had to remind him I had a right to confront my accusers and almost got fine for contempt of court since I interrupt the officers testimony. I won the case, but the magistrate was not happy about it.
I know i know, shit happens, Another aspect is that an infraction is not considered "criminal" in some states but a civil matter (thus no 6th amendment rights).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
OP, how much over the speed limit did they get you at? If you don't feel comfortable sharing it here PM me. About two years ago I was pulled over in SC on I-95 just south of I-26 as I was going to take that on the way to Chicago and I was easily doing 20 over the speed limit (not paying attention and no radar detector). However, the trooper didn't pull me over for speeding but that I 'passed the tractor trailer too close'. She was hiding in the middle just before a rest stop so I pulled up, shut her down, wife, son and step daughter in the car. Trooper pulled up and asked for everything, mentioned about the truck, gave me a warning and that was that. Sorry you weren't as lucky. Let us know how the ticket lawyer goes.
Appreciate 0