BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #89
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
What's really scary is a lot of ppl don't get what a big deal this is. Same exact attitude before Iraq war. It would be a walk in the park no big deal. Same attitude right now. Truly scary! All these brave keyboard warriors here are the first to run and cry when war doesn't go well and probably have no family or friends so they aren't worried about losing loved ones at a war. :

And don't believe all the republican lies which are repeated here. We have more troops in the Middle East right now compared to 1 year ago. We have nuclear bombers there too that weren't there during Obama time.

What do you think all that stuff is for?
If we try to send an occupation force yeah it going to be a messy affair.

If it simple an air bombing campaign and blocking the straits then it will be fairly uneven affair. Overall I don't believe either one is going to happen since we already made a statement and Iran doesn't have the ability to respond via military force
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #90
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
This is a huge deal as he was literally the most important person in the country outside of the Ayatollah.

We are already bracing for a cyber attack in retaliation.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

01-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #91
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I'm sure the Pentagon doesn't advertise their contingency plans! Lol
No we just get to see how shitty they were or underprepared/no plans they really had years later. After thousands of US lives dead and trillions incinerated.
There are successes too. Lots of them.
      01-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #92
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
What treaty do you speak of? The US hasn't signed a treaty with Iran.
And you are going with this now. Yes you are correct. A negotiated deal or agreement if you will that the US and their allies was/were following. The one Trump made a yuuuge deal about dropping out of.

Any response to policy questions at all? Anything of substance and not technicalities?
The lack of a treaty is substantive. If President Obama garnered enough support from Congress to obtain a treaty; then the next President wouldn't have been able to throw it out. However there was bipartisan opposition to a treaty so President Obama just went rogue.
      01-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #93
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
I am sure both you and I know some people who always only focus on failures and negatives. Completely forgot why and how they can enjoy what they have now.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #94
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

i'll be snuggling with my AR on the couch tonight
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #95
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I am sure both you and I know some people who always only focus on failures and negatives. Completely forgot why and how they can enjoy what they have now.
Let's look at everything since WW2.

Korea, stalemate and our main ally is a hostage to their northern neighbours. And other allies in the region are in danger plus US military personnel and their families etc. But, SK did get its independence and is free form communism for now.

Vietnam, in control by the people we were fighting.

Iraq/Gulf 1 and 2. Mostly in control by our enemy in the region for all intense and purposes.

Afghanistan. In control of most of the country by our enemy.

No major attacks on the US mainland since 9/11.

Trillions spent and tens of thousands of lives lost and hundreds thousands more injured irreparably both physically and mentally.

I leave it to the individual to decide if the above "successes" were worth the treasure in spent.
Appreciate 1
1 AKY340.50

01-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #96
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

idk didn't the WTC center burn down before the war on terror.

some big shit has to go down before war.

why is everyone jumping to we are going to war?
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #97
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This is a huge deal as he was literally the most important person in the country outside of the Ayatollah.

We are already bracing for a cyber attack in retaliation.
A cyber attack is more likely I would have thought..Iran has about 750,000 troops and US around 2.2 million with iranian missiles being made in-house.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #98
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S

Quote:
The lack of a treaty is substantive. If President Obama garnered enough support from Congress to obtain a treaty; then the next President wouldn't have been able to throw it out. However there was bipartisan opposition to a treaty so President Obama just went rogue.
And Iran was dismantling a lot of their nuclear facilities per the deal and abiding mostly by it. We also weren't on the brink of war with them.

Now, full steam ahead on the nuclear front again and we are nearly on the brink of a major war with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #99
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
The good the bad and the ugly:

The Good: Soleimani was a bad guy. Good riddance. Good move getting rid of a bloodthirsty sectarian butcher.

The Bad: I think this was a gut instinct move by Trump. There may be no broad strategy behind it.

The Ugly: congressional leaders should've been informed ahead of time. I support a presidents right to act to take out our enemies this way, but Trump only seems to think he's an island. He doesn't speak support from others or not necessarily his party. This is not a partisan action.

01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #100
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
idk didn't the WTC center burn down before the war on terror.

some big shit has to go down before war.

why is everyone jumping to we are going to war?
Are we back to the whole Iraq was responsible for that. Republicans are awesome they literally never learn anything and they are the world greatest suckers

In all seriousness it's time to load up on stocks for every military company you can
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #101
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
A cyber attack is more likely I would have thought..Iran has about 750,000 troops and US around 2.2 million with iranian missiles being made in-house.
Troop counts don't matter much anymore. It's not like we're stacking up across a grassy field and charging at each other.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
minn196958.00

01-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #102
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
And Iran was dismantling a lot of their nuclear facilities per the deal and abiding mostly by it. We also weren't on the brink of war with them.

Now, full steam ahead on the nuclear front again and we are nearly on the brink of a major war with them.
Not sure what type of war you have been thinking and talking about, but personally I think cyber is the best they can get into with the US and will not be in for too long unless China gets involved.

This does not get talked too much around here, but IT and tech companies in the US (with help of Japanese companies) have very strong capabilities to counter these cyber attacks. Iran, if I remember correctly, is ranked on the bottom pile when it comes to cyber related things. Iran will be doomed if they want to get into cyber war with the US (again unless China steps in).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #103
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Troop counts don't matter much anymore. It's not like we're stacking up across a grassy field and charging at each other.
I wasn't suggesting it's going to be a head to head charge with bayonets fixed just a comparison of numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #104
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Let's look at everything since WW2.

Korea, stalemate and our main ally is a hostage to their northern neighbours. And other allies in the region are in danger plus US military personnel and their families etc. But, SK did get its independence and is free form communism for now.

Vietnam, in control by the people we were fighting.

Iraq/Gulf 1 and 2. Mostly in control by our enemy in the region for all intense and purposes.

Afghanistan. In control of most of the country by our enemy.

No major attacks on the US mainland since 9/11.

Trillions spent and tens of thousands of lives lost and hundreds thousands more injured irreparably both physically and mentally.

I leave it to the individual to decide if the above "successes" were worth the treasure in spent.
Raytheon, McDonnell-Douglas, Lockheed-Martin, Northrup-Grumman, and General Dynamics see all of those endeavors as big successes. As was the Cold War, of course. Why can't you just relax and enjoy the boondoggle, like everyone else? Sheesh...
</sarcasm>
SoCalS2k389.50

01-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #105
quick6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Make no mistake, there will be attempts at retaliation and I think it may take place here in the States, as they likely are already among us.

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #106
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

Quote:
Are we back to the whole Iraq was responsible for that. Republicans are awesome they literally never learn anything and they are the world greatest suckers

In all seriousness it's time to load up on stocks for every military company you can
im just saying somethings gotta be done. can't have that shit on your doorstep and not fire back. there is no right or wrong in war. only death.

you sound really angry at politics dude. relax.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #107
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Not sure what type of war you have been thinking and talking about, but personally I think cyber is the best they can get into with the US and will not be in for too long unless China gets involved.

This does not get talked too much around here, but IT and tech companies in the US (with help of Japanese companies) have very strong capabilities to counter these cyber attacks. Iran, if I remember correctly, is ranked on the bottom pile when it comes to cyber related things. Iran will be doomed if they want to get into cyber war with the US (again unless China steps in).
Iran thinks an Etch-a-Sketch is a CAD/CAM system.
      01-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #108
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
FBI is simply reporting to be vigilant and they have no specific threats at this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #109
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

im just saying somethings gotta be done. can't have that shit on your doorstep and not fire back. there is no right or wrong in war. only death.

Actually there is right and there is wrong in war. Starting a war in Iraq because of New York attack was beyond wrong. It's scary that this has to even be debated with republicans to this day

When you have friends or family or other ppl you care about then it does matter who you start a war with.

When you have none of those things and your just some weird guy on the internet and all you have in life is to be a troll then I can see why it doesn't matter.

So I do see your perspective on this
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #110
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:

His PoliTEC just kicked in yo! Sorry I got to make that joke everytime I see him posting non-sense shit.
Appreciate 0