07-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

just a quick q&a on diet pop, for DM's

So a really quick question/note/observation

I've had to monitor my blood sugars a bit more carefully as I have a blood test (HBa1C) and a consultant checkup coming up soon

So I have a form I complete where I note my BG's at various times of the day.
So, on page one, though my sugars are ok, there are some higher numbers, on there.

I started a new page last week, and my sugars are decidedly lower on the 2nd sheet.

So I was trying to work out what had changed, then I realized, that on the second page, I hadn't been drinking Diet drinks. Which I usually neck down a couple a day. (I did have a thread on her about something similar)

So does this make sense ?

Funnily enough, I was so thirsty (some new pain meds for my back) I knecked back a full fat can of coke that my wife had, I was dreading check my BG this morning, and lo and behold, my fasting sugar was fecking awesome .

So interestingly enough, sweeteners mess up your BG's and full fat drinks don't ? (of course I'm not gonna drink 2-3 cans)

BUT I have noticed, when I drink 1 can of diet, I'm still craving another can. With the full fat can, I was fine..

TIA

appreciate any and all comments

J
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

There is all kinds of stuff out there on this. I'm no doctor or scientist but I know from what I've read that diet sodas have been shown time and again to actually contribute to weight gain. I quit drinking them about a year ago and started drinking the green label coke (lower calories but sweetened with Stavia), I'm trying to watch my weight but also I was becoming concerned with the aspartame and it's effects on the brain and alzheimer's.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Do NOT discount the placebo effect. Simply writing your numbers down, and "trying" harder to impress the Dr. can also have profound effects on BG readings. It's part of why I continue to whore my body out to science.

PART
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00