BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #111
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

wife got a ticket for going 37 on a 35, but the zone is actually 25 fight it?
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
wife got a ticket for going 37 on a 35, but the zone is actually 25 fight it?
lol
Wait!!! The thoroughfare is zoned for 25mph, but the cop wrote it for 37 in a 35? Lol! You could fight it in hopes that the cop doesn't correct the zoned speed; corrections/amendments are allowed. If it's not corrected, you have a good shot of beating a "2-over" ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #113
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Hahaha! Unlikely, but possible. I remember a time when a co-worker of mine checked a local hospital to see if a doctor he let go for speeding actually responded to a medical emergency. He found out that the doctor was off work; that doctor was issued a speeding ticket.
I...err my co-worker, is within 10s of miles of home/work/other jurisdictions who share radio contact. A quick confirmation of m.. err his story isn't in order?

I remember back in college I was riding to a good surf spot with someone who had a medical ID. He worked up the story in advance that if he gets pulled over my blood sugar is low and he's rushing me to treatment Never needed it driving 101 between SB and Ventura.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #114
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Hahaha! Unlikely, but possible. I remember a time when a co-worker of mine checked a local hospital to see if a doctor he let go for speeding actually responded to a medical emergency. He found out that the doctor was off work; that doctor was issued a speeding ticket.
I...err my co-worker, is within 10s of miles of home/work/other jurisdictions who share radio contact. A quick confirmation of m.. err his story isn't in order?

I remember back in college I was riding to a good surf spot with someone who had a medical ID. He worked up the story in advance that if he gets pulled over my blood sugar is low and he's rushing me to treatment Never needed it driving 101 between SB and Ventura.
At least he was prepared.

As for using the radio to confirm a speeder's story: negative. We like to use the radio for emergent traffic, and in most cases an officer isn't going to jump through that many hoops over something that won't get them an arrest stat. On my current department, unless the deputy is in an assigned/designated traffic car, he/she will likely pay very little attention to traffic and focus on crime calls.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:20 AM   #115
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

What do you motors think of the new BMWs vs the Kawis / HDs some of you have?

Also, what do you think about the Zero electric bikes for city patrolling and such?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:25 AM   #116
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
What do you motors think of the new BMWs vs the Kawis / HDs some of you have?

Also, what do you think about the Zero electric bikes for city patrolling and such?
The Harley's suck! Hands down! My previous department brought in the HD's to discourage chases. The BMW's and Kawi's are great; the Kawi's are better performers. The BMW's topped out at 110mph or something ridiculously low; tactics provided the upper hand against other motorcyclists on superbikes/sport bikes. I would ride the BMW or Kawi's over the HD any day of the week.

As far as the electric bikes....

....nothing electric is good for patrol. The cars are rarely ever turned off on a shift. Electric power would not hold up at all (...with my current or former department), and patrol is a 24/7 operation. Charging would be hugely inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:50 AM   #117
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Only have read a few questions/answers so forgive me if these questions have already been asked:

A. Have you ever pulled over famous characters like actors, athletes, political, etc...

2. What excuses have you heard that actually worked and the driver didn’t receive a citation?

D. Did you ever deliver a baby on the side of the road?

5. For drivers who have specialized plates for law enforcement, decals and stickers all over their windows and they aren’t a badge, does that even help their case in not receiving a citation?

6. Do you get annoyed when merging on the highway and then everyone Brake checks and drives 15 MPH under the speed limit?

Last edited by F30lolz; 10-31-2019 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #118
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Only have read a few questions/answers so forgive me if these questions have already been asked:

A. Have you ever pulled over famous characters like actors, athletes, political, etc...

2. What excuses have you heard that actually worked and the driver didn't receive a citation?

D. Did you ever deliver a baby on the side of the road?

5. For drivers who have specialized plates for law enforcement, decals and stickers all over their windows and they aren't a badge, does that even help their case in not receiving a citation?

6. Do you get annoyed when merging on the highway and then everyone Brake checks and drives 15 MPH under the speed limit?
No worries!

A. Yes, and I have seen them incarcerated as well. There are notable figures who have been in our jails: Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie, Robert Downey Jr., Suge Knight, the red Power Ranger, Ronnie from Jersey Shore, etc..

2. No "excuse" really works. Truth/candor will get you further than any embellishment will.

D. No, and I hope that I never have to. I'm not cut out for roadside labor and delivery.

5. Not at all. Name dropping somebody you know on the department and/or having a significant other/spouse/relative on the department is more beneficial.

6. Yes! Egregious actions aside, people need to maintain the flow of traffic. Slowing down that much impedes traffic and is more likely to draw the attention of law enforcement than the actual speeding.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #119
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

2. No "excuse" really works. Truth/candor will get you further than any embellishment will.
Although this may seem to be the best way to go in hopes to be let go with a warning, it may also incriminate you (the offending driver) in court as you are admitting guilt. And i assume you guys would make a note of this.

So the truth may not always be your best friend. Sometimes keeping quiet and taking the fine may be your best option.

Would you agree?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #120
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ "because nobody looks good in handcuffs, unless you're into that sort of thing"
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24815.50
vreihen1614886.50
NEFARIOUS431.00
      10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #121
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:

Although this may seem to be the best way to go in hopes to be let go with a warning, it may also incriminate you (the offending driver) in court as you are admitting guilt. And i assume you guys would make a note of this.

So the truth may not always be your best friend. Sometimes keeping quiet and taking the fine may be your best option.

Would you agree?
We're talking infractions here, not criminal actions leading to an arrest where Miranda is required (...custody/detention + interrogation). The citation itself is also not an admission of guilt, just a promise to appear. I understand your intent, but I don't find it to be that serious when we're talking about citations for a minor traffic violation.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #122
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

what is the fastest speed you've nailed someone for?

and did you take him to jail?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #123
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
what is the fastest speed you've nailed someone for?

and did you take him to jail?
The fastest that I can recall was 140+ mph, and yes, he went to jail......

....because he was running.
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #124
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

have you ever been on "COPS" or Live PD?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #125
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
have you ever been on "COPS" or Live PD?
No, but I have been on that Zebra dude's stupid YouTube videos. He's so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #126
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

tried to search that but came up with nothing. post a link at your own risk.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #127
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
tried to search that but came up with nothing. post a link at your own risk.
You know who he is, right??!? Tom Zebra is his name I believe. He's always standing out front of stations, courthouses and jail facilities trying to get law enforcement to react to his bullshit (...following you around, shoving his video camera in your face, preaching about amendment violations, etc.).
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      11-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #128
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Would you give someone a break if you saw a KMA-367 plate or 10-99 and not even pull them over?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #129
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Would you give someone a break if you saw a KMA-367 plate or 10-99 and not even pull them over?
I wouldn't automatically assume that the person driving was a law enforcement supporter simply due to the plate/plate frame; criminals use those tricks & tactics too. Upon conversing with the driver I would decide whether or not to issue a citation based on a number of factors.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:41 AM   #130
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't automatically assume that the person driving was a law enforcement supporter simply due to the plate/plate frame; criminals use those tricks & tactics too. Upon conversing with the driver I would decide whether or not to issue a citation based on a number of factors.
Had a buddy who had the KMA367 and swore it worked and got him out of many tickets (many times being 100+)... beginning to question it now lol but he also did have family serving.

Do you get pulled over and just get the pass since you are a law enforcement officer?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #131
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Had a buddy who had the KMA367 and swore it worked and got him out of many tickets (many times being 100+)... beginning to question it now lol but he also did have family serving.

Do you get pulled over and just get the pass since you are a law enforcement officer?
I would wager that having family was the reason why your friend received so many passes for driving so recklessly (...CVC 22348(b) for exceeding 100mph/CVC 23103 for reckless driving.....here in California).

Admittedly, I would only face major repercussions for egregious actions behind the wheel. That statement isn't meant to imply that I or any other official can act with impunity, but just like latitude can be shown to a civilian for infractions and some misdemeanors, the same applies to sworn individuals.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #132
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would wager that having family was the reason why your friend received so many passes for driving so recklessly (...CVC 22348(b) for exceeding 100mph/CVC 23103 for reckless driving.....here in California).

Admittedly, I would only face major repercussions for egregious actions behind the wheel. That isn't meant to imply that I can act with impunity, but just like latitude can be shown to a civilian for infractions and some misdemeanors, the same applies to sworn individuals.
Thanks for clarifying.

Lastly, the rumors I hear.... does 100+mph get you in the back seat of the cruiser every time? Curious to know the truth behind it.
Appreciate 0