05-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Coronavirus antibody breakthrough

In PART from: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/heal...Tvt?li=BBnb7Kz

EXCLUSIVE ó A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a personís system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.

Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

and thats why its stock went above +160%..
      05-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Seems promising, hopefully it's something that can be put to use quickly if in fact the early findings are accurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Would be awesome.
      05-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
This is promising, but it has a few serious caveats.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
simplemind
Rep
Drives: '03 M3, ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
This is promising, but it has a few serious caveats.
And they are...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
And they are...
I did not arrive to this conclusion myself.

Upon seeing this particular article I reached out an American pathologist who's actively involved in this whole COVID-19 mess and asked for his input. He's essentially in perpetual quarantine at the moment due to his close involvement.

He gave me a brief rundown of how antibody solutions work and how he felt about this particular study (he had heard of it already). The general gist I gathered from him was that yes, this is indeed promising, but with a few caveats.

It's difficult for me as a layman to accurately replicate exactly what he was trying to say. One of the things he mentioned was the SARS vaccine that was worked on. It was effective against SARS, but it ended up having such severe side effects that it killed more people than it cured. He also mentioned Thalidomide infants. He also talked about how they had to get this perfectly right or it will not work as expected.

He also spoke of potential mass manufacture issues.

I really wish I could relay his words better.

My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months ago and she's terrified of even stepping outside. My father has COPD and my mother is afraid he'll catch it when he's outside (he still goes to his work). When I saw this news I was excited, but I've learned to be careful in my assumptions. This is why I reached out to him.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 2
vreihen162063.50

05-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350

Quote:
And they are...
I saw this story on a different site

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...hting-covid-19

They report it hasn't even been tested on animals yet. Hopefully it works on animals and hopefully that then translates to humans. Still has some ways to go, but seems like it would be faster than a vaccine if it works though.
Appreciate 1
vreihen162063.50

05-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
Littlebear
Major Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but SRNE stock has never been above ~$9. Now at $7.05, holding flat.
I really hope this works, but they don't get my money yet....

Murf
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Quote:
And they are...
I did not arrive to this conclusion myself.

Upon seeing this particular article I reached out an American pathologist who's actively involved in this whole COVID-19 mess and asked for his input. He's essentially in perpetual quarantine at the moment due to his close involvement.

He gave me a brief rundown of how antibody solutions work and how he felt about this particular study (he had heard of it already). The general gist I gathered from him was that yes, this is indeed promising, but with a few caveats.

It's difficult for me as a layman to accurately replicate exactly what he was trying to say. One of the things he mentioned was the SARS vaccine that was worked on. It was effective against SARS, but it ended up having such severe side effects that it killed more people than it cured. He also mentioned Thalidomide infants. He also talked about how they had to get this perfectly right or it will not work as expected.

He also spoke of potential mass manufacture issues.

I really wish I could relay his words better.

My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months ago and she's terrified of even stepping outside. My father has COPD and my mother is afraid he'll catch it when he's outside (he still goes to his work). When I saw this news I was excited, but I've learned to be careful in my assumptions. This is why I reached out to him.
I hope your parents stay ok. Lung cancer is a bitch.

05-16-2020, 12:17 AM   #11
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 6MT

This sounds like tamiflu vs flu shot for influenza. Availability would be an issue: Eg, tamiflu is not often readily available in flu season. Antibody treatments often cause side effects (Eg, hepatitis C), unlike vaccines which rarely cause harm (ignorant myths not withstanding). Ultimately, prevention is always better than cure.

I am surprised the company went out on a limb without even having animal data. In medicine, even randomized controlled trials (the gold standard) can eventually prove wrong on occasion.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer23260.50