Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Poor / loud AC fans - G05 40d

Hello everyone,

I've recently noticed that my 2022 X5 40d has a low fan power - it doesn't matter if I set AC to auto or manual (directional) setting. Also often at the back the air comes warm despite the AC being set to cold.

I went to the service, asked technician to look at this and he said it's not normal and it's also shouldn't be as loud. My steering wheel is on the right side of the car and I hear the fan noise coming from behind the glovebox.

So I've arranged a warranty service but I wonder if anyone had a similiar issue and what was the outcome.

Car is 8 months old.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
I see no replies but just updating the thread in case somebody will have similiar issue in the future.

Car went for a warranty repair. Dealer (Sytner Sunningdale) trying to diagnose the problem. 1st step - fan blower motor was replaced - the issue not resolved.
2nd step - heater box has been ordered (I indicated this to the dealer as I've seen on this forum that somebody had this replaced, when rear aircon was blowing warm air). What I been told is that following the procedure first they need to replace fan blower motor - if unsuccessful next step is the heater box.
Apparently no stock of this part in the uk and it needs to come from Germany.

What worries me is that in order to replace the heater box the dash board needs to be taken apart. This can cause squeaky rides.

Will be updating this thread later...

If anyone had similiar repair please let me know how did this end up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Can't comment on what might be wrong with your car, but I can say that there are a bunch of threads id'ing the HVAC as the (or one of the) G05's weakest points. The fans are noisy as hell when operating to spec, and for all their apparent sturm und drang, they move little air. Add to that the hopelessly confused settings arrangement and the combination is well out of place with a car that is otherwise so well-designed.

I precondition my 45e as often as possible so that the car is well and truly cooled before I step into it. When I can't or forget, I get a loud and obnoxious whistle from the vents on the B pillars (I keep them closed unless there is someone back there) until the thing cools down, which frequently is not until thw trip is over. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
MDBMW76
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I also have a 2022 X5MC and have already taken it in a few times for what I feel is a much weaker A/C fan than the 2019 X5 50 M-Sport I traded it on. (both G05s) I don't know what BMW did for the 2022s but there is / was a noticeable difference between the two model years. If the temps go above 70, I'm cooking in the new one and have it on the highest fan setting and like you said a whole bunch of nosie. The shop foreman was surprised too it was so weak when I showed him the max fan speed but compared it to other 2022s he had on the lot, and they were all about the same. I'm not done fighting this one cause the 2023 X5 loaner I had had much more air output on the max fan speed than mine has. I'm curious to know if there were any changes to the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

I'm with you all on this. Of the three cars in my garage, the X5 has the weakest AC by far. Especially the front blowers. Loud and noisy as heck and they barely move any air even at a relatively high setting. They remind me Jeremy Clarkson's comment on the ACs of Lambos of old - an asthmatic blowing at you with a straw or being coughed on by a mouse .

Luckily I live in a relatively cold place where summers don't get that hot. So keeping the inside temperature around 19 ensures that the ambient temperature stays cool enough. But keep the X5 parked outside in the sun, especially with the Tanzanite Blue paint, and the inside gets pretty warm and the AC has its work cut out. After having read so many threads about weak airconditioning in BMWs, I've decided to live with it and accept it for what it is. Not BMWs finest hour. Sure, there are people who'll say the AC works fine for them. But we all have different tolerances for heat and cold, and for me the AC is definitely an area of disappointment in what is otherwise a fantastic vehicle.

Last edited by sbc-yyc; 05-29-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
medialook104.00
      05-28-2023, 02:52 AM   #6
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Thanks for your feedback folks. I remember my previous G05 didnt have this problem. And my current G05 didn't have it too at the beginning. Luckily I'm in England, so not to hot therefore AC is not used often....

This is definitely a problem with AC rather than poor AC design. I just hope they will put dashboard together properly so it will not squeak. 🤞

Still love my X5 a lot
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #7
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Tomorrow my X5 goes for another service to have heater box replaced. Bit worried as my leather dash will need to be removed... Dealer tired to calm me down saying that in new gen vehicles dash removal is easier than in the last and it doesn't mean that I'll get squeaking dashboard once refitted. Fingers crossed it will resolve the issue. If not I will count as a third attempt and will be looking at options...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #8
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Okay this post seems like a repair diary but I think it might be useful for others with similiar issue. Picked the car up today and problem is rectified. It was faulty heater box. Whole dash had to be removed including center console as the part is right behind the AC vents. It did look horrible when everything g was stripped out. Now is good. Can enjoy the ride with AC on (unfortunately the UK heatwave just gone). My biggest worry was the potential squeaks in the dash but so far so good. Although they did a tiny scratch on my passenger seat but gave me free oil service so I'm fine with it. See the photos for reference. Dealer was really supportive trough entire process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 03:29 AM   #9
DropTopKingM3
... space for rent ..
Albania
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 // G05 X5

Was the fan blower speed issue corrected ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #10
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Oh wow, that’s pretty shocking to see , very drastic work to access and replace that unit. Still there isn’t anything you can do but go with it, such is the nature of these cars.

I do hope all fixed now and no new squeaks, rattles or faults introduced

I had the phone changer replaced under a recall and they pryed on the leather trim near the arm rest to pop the centre trim panel with something that chewed it up, it’s shocking to me that they think they’d get away with it!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #11
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
Was the fan blower speed issue corrected ?
Yes it was. Fan blower motor was replaced first which didn't help. Heather box was the issue and now aircon works.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #12
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Oh wow, that’s pretty shocking to see , very drastic work to access and replace that unit. Still there isn’t anything you can do but go with it, such is the nature of these cars.

I do hope all fixed now and no new squeaks, rattles or faults introduced

I had the phone changer replaced under a recall and they pryed on the leather trim near the arm rest to pop the centre trim panel with something that chewed it up, it’s shocking to me that they think they’d get away with it!
Wow that's shocking. So did you push them to replace the pried part?

What I don't like after my repair is small scratch on the passenger seat which most likely happened when removing the dash components and what really annoys me is small holes they need to do on the back of the steering wheel (apparently it's a bad BMW design as you need to make them to release the airbag). I need to find out if that part of the steering wheel can be replaced.

Also I think they've didn't calibrate properly the steering wheel as now is slightly to the right when going straight.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:50 AM   #13
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Update - I thought this is fixed but.... The heather box replacement improved it but I thought it's not powerful enough. Went to the dealer to compare it with another X5 and it turns out that AC has no powerful air blow. Booked for the repair again...
Appreciate 0