BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

MyBMW app *finally* regains functionality of the previosu app

I can finally do all the things that the old app let us do. Got to try it today, worked great. Thanks BMW app devs!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post

I can finally do all the things that the old app let us do. Got to try it today, worked great. Thanks BMW app devs!
Uh, what things? Those have always been in the MyBMW app as far as I can remember.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981
Uh, what things? Those have always been in the MyBMW app as far as I can remember.
there was an app before this and now i cant remember what it was called which controlled the F15 generation and the g05 gen. it did all of these things but then when they DC'd that app and introduced the MyBMW app, it had no functionality, at least for the G05 generation. But finally as of this latest build all of that previous functionality is back on the Apple Watch. It's great for be because I frequently have my hands full and dont like having to reach for my phone to open the truck/doors when I just need to shove something in without having my keyfob on me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
maher
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

He means to control the car with the Apple watch app which used to only show the status of the car.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101169.00
      05-11-2023, 12:26 AM   #5
zsap
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

For me, the Apple Watch app is still useless. I have only Precond. option and range view. No additional options on the third tab.

Everything is up to date - phone and watch, including apps.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

God are we all just lazy. We deserve to go the way of the dinosaurs! 🤣
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2023, 10:08 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
God are we all just lazy. We deserve to go the way of the dinosaurs! 🤣
Life was surely simpler back then

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #8
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
there was an app before this and now i cant remember what it was called which controlled the F15 generation and the g05 gen. it did all of these things but then when they DC'd that app and introduced the MyBMW app, it had no functionality, at least for the G05 generation. But finally as of this latest build all of that previous functionality is back on the Apple Watch. It's great for be because I frequently have my hands full and dont like having to reach for my phone to open the truck/doors when I just need to shove something in without having my keyfob on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maher View Post
He means to control the car with the Apple watch app which used to only show the status of the car.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification. I was confused as the MyBMW app always showed those capabilities for our G01and G05, but makes sense the OP was referring to the app on the Apple Watch.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 12:08 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsap View Post
For me, the Apple Watch app is still useless. I have only Precond. option and range view. No additional options on the third tab.

Everything is up to date - phone and watch, including apps.
I’m willing to bet your iOS MyBMW app isn’t up to date on v3.5.0 which was just released on May 9, the day before the OP started this thread.

my apps usually update automatically, but this one didn't for some reason. i was on v3.3.1 and just updated and can confirm the third page on my Apple Watch 7 on watchOS 9.4 MyBMW app has preconditioning, lock, unlock, lights, and horn now
Appreciate 1
Tejas18361002.00
      05-13-2023, 12:50 AM   #10
zsap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I’m willing to bet your iOS MyBMW app isn’t up to date on v3.5.0 which was just released on May 9, the day before the OP started this thread.
My app has 3.5.0 version and it was updated on 8th of May ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 06:56 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsap View Post
My app has 3.5.0 version and it was updated on 8th of May ;-)
hmmm dunno what to tell ya’ other than when I first opened the app on my Watch after updating the iPhone app to 3.5.0, the watch app showed “Updating” in the upper left before fully loading up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 08:12 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that was the old ConnectedDrive app you're referring to i believe when they released the MyBMW app, they purposely left off previously supported features such as Calendar sync to see whether there'll be enough consumer demand for them before investing in time and development. you're the first to mention Watch functionality; i'm guessing most people don't use the Watch app nearly as much as the phone app.

so you're saying there was better functionality with ConnectedDrive on the Apple Watch than when MyBMW was initially released? (i got my Watch after CD was decommissioned, so i don't know.)
Appreciate 1
thereef5101169.00
      05-13-2023, 08:30 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

my apps usually update automatically, but this one didn't for some reason. i was on v3.3.1 and just updated and can confirm the third page on my Apple Watch 7 on watchOS 9.4 MyBMW app has preconditioning, lock, unlock, lights, and horn now
The MyBMW app is funky scmunky...mine misbehaves quite often. After reading your post I decided to check my apps version. By the way I don't have any update notices either on the app itself or from the Apple App Store and I do not allow any apps to auto update, no not me, I want to know when they are updated so I can link the update with any issues that may happen, ok so I expected to find it at 3.5.0 but.. .. and this is about the third time this has happened, it's not, its at 3.3.1
So I go to the App Store, click on Updates and it's not showing that there's an update for me. I'm no long surprised when this happens and of all the apps I have, it's only this one that coughs up fur balls. Next I decided to Search for the MyBMW app in the App Store and upon finding it, it simply says "Open", cause it knows I already have it, ok, that's expected. I glance at my puter screen and then back down at my phone and now it says "Update" instead of Open and shows the new version to be 3.5.0. Go figure To add salt to the wound, it says the update was posted 5 days ago!!

FYI.. .. here's a screenshot showing the changes for anyone interested. .. Oh, no, I'm not complaining

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The MyBMW app is funky scmunky...mine misbehaves quite often. After reading your post I decided to check my apps version. By the way I don't have any update notices either on the app itself or from the Apple App Store and I do not allow any apps to auto update, no not me, I want to know when they are updated so I can link the update with any issues that may happen, ok so I expected to find it at 3.5.0 but.. .. and this is about the third time this has happened, it's not, its at 3.3.1
So I go to the App Store, click on Updates and it's not showing that there's an update for me. I'm no long surprised when this happens and of all the apps I have, it's only this one that coughs up fur balls. Next I decided to Search for the MyBMW app in the App Store and upon finding it, it simply says "Open", cause it knows I already have it, ok, that's expected. I glance at my puter screen and then back down at my phone and now it says "Update" instead of Open and shows the new version to be 3.5.0. Go figure To add salt to the wound, it says the update was posted 5 days ago!!

FYI.. .. here's a screenshot showing the changes for anyone interested. .. Oh, no, I'm not complaining

1) i don't see a way to check for available updates as you mentioned above: App Store > Updates. the only thing close i get is a list of what's been "UPDATED RECENTLY" when i go to App Store > click on my profile in the upper right corner. if that's what you're referring to, apps with available updates don't show there, only what's already been updated. (maybe i don't have your sequence because i enabled automatic app updates?)

2) when i updated to v3.5.0, i did as you did: found MyBMW among the list of my apps and clicked on it. it also showed OPEN initially but i watched it change to UPDATE almost immediately. when opening the app details in the App Store, it connects with the server. if there's an update available, it changes from OPEN to UPDATE. this is normal behavior that i've observed when manually updating many other apps in the past

again, i enabled automatic app updates. in the past five days, 31 apps updated automatically, as expected, but don't know why MyBMW didn't update automatically despite enabling that in my settings

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-13-2023 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1) i don't see a way to check for available updates as you mentioned above: .. .. (maybe i don't have your sequence because i enabled automatic app updates?)
Correct you are, I don't enable auto updates so for me I get the little red circle with the number of updates waiting for me.

Quote:
2) when i updated to v3.5.0, i did as you did: found MyBMW among the list of my apps and clicked on it. it also showed OPEN initially but i watched it change to UPDATE almost immediately. when opening the app details in the App Store, it connects with the server. if there's an update available, it changes from OPEN to UPDATE. this is normal behavior that i've observed when manually updating many other apps in the past
I get what you're saying but none of my other apps behave this way, it's got to be in the way BMW app developers have designed it. However, sometimes I'll get an update notice in the MyBMW app that appears in the Message Center. You navigate there by clicking on the little bell icon atop left of the apps Home Screen. This time however I did not get a notice, the Message Center is empty even though version 3.5.0 was released 5 days ago.

Quote:
again, i enabled automatic app updates. in the past five days, 31 apps updated automatically, as expected, but don't know why MyBMW didn't update automatically despite enabling that in my settings
Why? because its funky scmunky
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4751.00
      05-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #16
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

So weird. I too had to sort of force the update as described above. iPhone app updated and then watch app followed and now the watch app has way more functionality. There is a complication too.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2023, 09:31 AM   #17
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

The complication is nice
      05-13-2023, 09:40 AM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Why? because its funky scmunky
explains why earlier versions did update automatically, just not this recent one. way to go, BMW!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 09:41 AM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
...There is a complication too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
The complication is nice
i didn't catch it. is it the little 'charging/charged' icon?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 10:27 AM   #20
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
i didn't catch it. is it the little 'charging/charged' icon?
Complications for the watch- the shortcuts to watch apps that are on the watch face
Attached Images

thereef5101169.00
      05-13-2023, 11:55 AM   #21
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Complications for the watch- the shortcuts to watch apps that are on the watch face
interesting, I use the same watch face (Modular) but I don’t see MyBMW among my list of complications (watchOS 9.4) whether setting it on the watch itself or on the Watch app on iPhone. I rebooted everything. thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #22
zsap
Private
Rep

Quote:
hmmm dunno what to tell ya’ other than when I first opened the app on my Watch after updating the iPhone app to 3.5.0, the watch app showed “Updating” in the upper left before fully loading up.
Today, when I was testing Apple Watch App a few times during the day, one of the tries third tab/slide, was gone - only the first two were available. After another few hours, when I checked the third tab was visible again with a complete set of options, like on the screens from this thread.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4751.00